Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Ragnorium - manufacture clones, build colony for them, deal with turd golems.

Hellraiser

Arcane
https://www.ragnorium.com

In early access as of today. I watched some recorded stream, well I watched random parts of a four hour stream, to get a glimpse. Apparently you select different clones, seems you can also improve the clone templates via research or unlock new ones, launch them via ships periodically to your new colony. Have them grow and propser gaining exp in the process. Supposedly eventually some space crusade will come wreck your shit, the cunts.

Apparently, besides allowing you to build custom shacks in 3D from locally collected resources, wall by wall, it also features different types of shit that turns into golems apparently?

Ragnorium wiki said:
Item Name Effect on Back Other Effect Obtained From
Crap none AOE Hygiene loss. eventually grows into a Crap Golem Colonists pooping
Green Crap none AOE Hygiene loss. grows into a Green Crap Golem Colonist pooping
Red Crap - none AOE Hygiene loss. Grows into a Red Crap Golem Colonist pooping
Golden Crap none AOE Hygiene loss. Grows into a dangerous Golden Crap Golem Colonist pooping

I saw a piss jar item in the stream not mentioned in the wiki, but dunno if there are piss elementals to deal with.

I saw some compared it to Kenshi, but I guess it is only comparable in the 3D outpost building aspect.

Anyone tried this yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellraiser

Arcane
After going over the patch notes to see if the dev is adding superficial popamole or proper autism, I saw signs of the latter so I caved in and bought it. After the last 2 hours I have some first impressions.

Clones can freeze, there is weather (at least wind and temp for now), bleeding and one of my clones apparently got Lyme disease from a mite bite. Water and thirst are a thing, and fairly important since the bulk of the first planet/map is desert. Hygiene is also a thing, you can order a supply drop with soap which helps with that.

I wonder if there is dysentery as clones seem to piss all over the place and also have the pajeet approach to defecation, shitting at wherever they just happen to be at the moment, and you need to order them to move turds outside of the premises. Eventually you need to kill the turd golems into which the unused turds grow. There's also composting apparently that uses said turds before they grow limbs, but I didn't tech that far yet so the turd golem menace remains a real threat. The turd golems are unfortunately of the more comical variety unlike the original prosperian eldritch turd golem.

Corpses rot. There's also the option to cannibalize a clone, should famine be a problem. Lots of different creatures to hunt or tame. Random "feral" clones from parallel failed colonization attempts are also present.

In general you dump butt-naked cell-shaded clones on what seems to be a post-apocalyptic formerly settled planet with some basic supplies that don't include tools or weapons for "lore reasons" (something something war with space zealots something something). Instead of traditional research a'la rimworld or oxygen not included, you need to complete tasks which grant points advancing you to the next tech tier. You also get research points passively per clone alive and can mine some deposits for extra research in addition to rare minerals, but without tasks you don't get influence which is also needed to advance in tech tier. Some of these tasks unlock a tech just by choosing the task, with those tasks being "build this new crafting table" etc. Others require you to pick colonists to form an exploration party, after which they will proceed to the objective and get attacked by shit along the way. Good to get your colonists some sticks in case they encounter hostiles.

Completing these objectives also makes your caveman larping clones happy. Just like crafting them leaf skirts to hide their junk. At the second tech level they start to demand footwear and I guess this comfort creep continues as one progresses up the tech levels. Happiness gibs points which starting from the second tech level you can use to buy supply drops from some CHOAM wannabe, independent from the colony ships you also can launch. Lack of happiness leads to the rather standard for this genre mechanic of going berserk or having some other meltdown.

Every few days you get a chance to launch another colony ship with clones, along with researching some high tech such as radar, passenger pods with underwear or more advanced clones. You also get some meta resources to grow new clones and build the new colony ship.

The soundtrack is fucking great, some really good synthwave.

So far I am quite pleased with this, despite the early access (didn't see any bugs yet, supposedly it is already 3 years in development).

As for the bad, it's made in Unity for one, but worse of all it uses some retardo "glitch" shader/filter similar to no man's sky. This makes it hard on the eyes (not as bad as no man's sky, but still horrible). And the shader has no off toggle from what I can tell. I have managed to make it palpable by turning on blur and some other "experimental" graphics options, but it is still noticeable. At least my eyes and head no longer hurt when looking at the screen.

Also you can't pause and give orders or speed up the game.

Last edited:

madhouse

I wonder if there is dysentery as clones seem to piss all over the place and also have the pajeet approach to defecation, shitting at wherever they just happen to be at the moment, and you need to order them to move turds outside of the premises. Eventually you need to kill the turd golems into which the unused turds grow. There's also composting apparently that uses said turds before they grow limbs, but I didn't tech that far yet so the turd golem menace remains a real threat. The turd golems are unfortunately of the more comical variety unlike the original prosperian eldritch turd golem.
I'm sold.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I'm sold.

FYI I managed to tech to wooden urinals. You can use them to collect the piss in bottles (I guess that gives a hygiene bonus due to a cleaner urinal? not sure). With the latest patch you can store the piss bottles on a rack and use them in combat with a special action or something. And while there is no dysentery, I did notice colonists get diarrhoea from dirty water which contributes to the shitting problem. Those turd golems can kill your clones if they are underequiped or were unfortunate enough to be wounded and walk next to an awakening turd before somebody bandaged them.

My main gripe at the moment is the lack of time acceleration, there's a lot of waiting for the clones to gather resources or walk from A to B when doing an objective. The pace is fairly slow.

On the other hand I really like the cloning/resupply mechanic, even if the loading screen between it and the actual game map screen is annoying. After day 2 you can send a ship every 4 or 5 days and research "meta" stuff (separate from researching done on the actual game map). I researched a better thruster (mean I can build a longer ship), better cargo pods and extra cash per colony ship launch (you get a fixed amount of cash and biomass for cloning for each laucnh, plus what was left over from the last one). I launched a shitload of supplies plus two advanced clones with bonus traits on top of that. With some research you get to pick optional traits which make the clone more expensive, and there's a bunch of them per clone template. I unlocked some "Amerikana" woman clone that makes all food more nutritious on top of her farming bonus.

As for the ships, you are limited by credits and thruster power in the number of modules and intersections you can attach. Modules are either clone passenger pods, with better pods giving clones bonus experience or gear (from underwear to I think tools or better clothes) or cargo pods providing supplies (better pods give more food, water and even building materials). Intersections provide additional clone experience to each passenger or boost total cargo such as food by +X%.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Sounds like your clones use Indian genes.

Technically they're mostly Amerikana (North America) or Astromian (Belter/Spacer) clones, I don't remember picking the AZN ones (they don't have good bonuses) or the Arabian ones. I think I have some Euroafrikan clones because one of those gibs a water generation rate bonus for the well.

I guess everybody had some pajeet in them by that point, or the Clone Union mislabelled the gene templates over centuries.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom