Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Lucumo

Educated
Sir, we discuss games in this thread, not monetization schemes pretending to be games.

It really does just like like corporate whale hunting #3563
Yeah, imagine shilling for a mobile monetization scheme. You have to be an absolute degenerate to do that. Because of....people like this, we get less games and more shit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
RanceX: Wound up using the same save for grand invasion and from the skies.
Grand invasion was a cool ending but Kayblis at the end was really easy, not sure if I am upset or not. I guess it's earned considering how strategically hard it is to meet the requirements for the ending, but it still felt a bit anti-climactic.
Also I was today years old when I realized Kayblis name actually means contempt squirrel. Pretty shamefur since I realized the naming scheme for his disciples, but didn't quite connect it.

From the skies was basically just from the sea but shorter (and easier?). Kayblis at the end was fairly challenging though, since I wasn't on Shariela route. The two legendary treasures should be nice for after mode though, or so I hope.

Meanwhile the hornet fight in after mode is really hard. So much immunity and self heals, seems like you'd need to just rng it and hope you can sleep/interrupt her every time she tries to refresh the orbs. I really wish you could save before it though, as having to redo the la sisters fight makes it very annoying.
Now... onto part 2.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
MG are making a physical edition of RQM, but still no announced progress on 9... why are they such terrible people?

As for X part 2 (srsly spoilers!)
I'm sad the series is ending on such a mediocre epilogue. I guess it still has time to shape up (I've only found 1 orb so far), but for now the plot progression feels glacial and there's been no interesting/hard bosses, nor do you get the satisfaction of building your team via card drops...

The gameplay side of things is really gutted.

On the plot side, did rance becoming maou give his dick time travelling powers? How did he manage to have a kid with suzume(does she get rezzed in 9,have a kid and then get killed off again?!) ? Or crook/senhime for that matter?

Jason Liang

Arcane
MG are making a physical edition of RQM, but still no announced progress on 9... why are they such terrible people?

As for X part 2 (srsly spoilers!)
I'm sad the series is ending on such a mediocre epilogue. I guess it still has time to shape up (I've only found 1 orb so far), but for now the plot progression feels glacial and there's been no interesting/hard bosses, nor do you get the satisfaction of building your team via card drops...

The gameplay side of things is really gutted.

On the plot side, did rance becoming maou give his dick time travelling powers? How did he manage to have a kid with suzume(does she get rezzed in 9,have a kid and then get killed off again?!) ? Or crook/senhime for that matter?
Well... keep playing.
Senhime was already knocked up in part 1, no?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Hmm. She doesn't look pregnant (image in spoiler)
sengime.png
But I guess it is possible she had already had her child, but I don't recall it being mentioned, just that she runs the nursery at rance castle (and she does introduce rance to a lot of babies in one scene, so omitting her own would be weird).

And rance shouldn't be making anyone pregnant during Rance X, for obvious reasons.

Jason Liang

Arcane
sengime.png
But I guess it is possible she had already had her child, but I don't recall it being mentioned, just that she runs the nursery at rance castle (and she does introduce rance to a lot of babies in one scene, so omitting her own would be weird).

And rance shouldn't be making anyone pregnant during Rance X, for obvious reasons.
That's... bizarre. I'm not sure how you ended up with Senhime that's not carrying her baby:
rancex22002.jpg

rancex22001.jpg

Truly perplexing. Did you somehow not get Senhime as a card?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
sengime.png

That's... bizarre. I'm not sure how you ended up with Senhime that's not carrying her baby:
rancex22002.jpg

rancex22001.jpg

Truly perplexing. Did you somehow not get Senhime as a card?
I scrolled to the right in the model viewer :)
I did not realize it was her child, for some reason I thought it was a placeholder :M

How do you get the view in your second screenshot?

Arthandas

Liturgist
How do you get the true end in Rance 6? I did everything and I still can't access it, here are my options:
ALCG0000.png
ALCG0001.png
I have all CGs except for one which I presume is the true end one.

EDIT: Ok, I figured it out, apparently raising Sel's FR to 30 is not enough, you also need to visit every single church.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Hey, at least they're still pretending to work on it, even if progress is glacial.

Meanwhile in Rance X part 2
I'm approaching demon lord's castle with all 5 orbs. Roughly how much is left?

At least the bosses are getting a bit interesting to fight. Also what does Arms' passive do?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So the gacha mobile game Beat Wars Escalation Heroines has Rance as the antagonist of the current event. Nagi and Shizuka are obtainable characters, though you would likely have to spend money to collect Shizuka. Game is probably still not worth your time, but consider this a service announcement for hardcore Rance fans.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Well, I finished part 2, and therefore maybe Rance X. I've gotten most of the stuff I think I care to get, although I will at least try to finish after mode, but I don't think I'm going to do more than that for now.
Part 2 final opinions:
Eeru being related to gods silence was pretty obvious, but I liked the ending well enough. Crook managing to defeat god with diplomacy by essentially going "hey, isn't humanity more fun to interact with in person than it is to watch them suffer from afar?" feels fairly fitting.

As for the entirety of part 2 being the capstone of Rance series: eeeeeeh. It doesn't feel representative of the series as a whole, and is mostly off doing its own thing and then speedrunning* closing off the series in the last 10%. Replacing mostly meaningful choices with mostly biowarean ones, and then having the plot be some cliché coming of age adventure... it's a weird choice. I did like seeing older versions of the main cast though, this was my favorite part of p2.

And it doesn't help that the gameplay is a watered down version of part 1, when it even gets to show up, which is barely at all. There's no 'deckbuilding', the bosses only get interesting in the last 20% and there's no real reason to try and get more power because there's no stretch goals to reach. So basically all the best parts are gone.

And having there be 10 achievements for minor differences in playing through it, that would demand you play through the whole linear thing at least 3 times (and the final 10% 10 times) feels especially optimistic. And also locking a CG behind NG+ is just rude.

*When you spend more time on a tournament arc than the 'heroes lose first encounter with big bad - training montage - return and win' arc, this may indicate some kind of problem with your story.

So yeah, that's the first half of 2022 well spent. So now what? I was really expecting Rance9 to be out by now...

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
https://mangagamer.org/rance/03/

I guess it was only a matter of time. Translation is by tulip goddess maria. And apparantly Rance 9 beta build is done but they haven't started testing it yet.

My current guess at release dates: 9 late this year/early next, 3 sometime late 2023, X sometime late 2024/early 2025.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Sengoku Rance is such a gem. So much replayability. Started Isoroku route for the first time, and the game immediately had three different countries declare war on me :-D Should have handled the gourd shit better but oh well, gonna have to survive Takeda blitzkrieg somehow.

thesecret1

Arcane
Finished the route. Very sweet. I think I liked Ran's route better (Ran's just more fun of a character, IMO), though I found Isoroku's route significantly more difficult, mainly thanks to getting dogpiled right after entering it (with Monster Army joining in shortly after, no less). Fighting a 3-front war in Sengoku is no joke, the only way to survive is to make full use of permits.

Did you guys finish all the routes? I always finish one and then take a long break from the game, so I've still got Kenshin's to look forward to. Also what's the actual "canon" timeline of Sengoku? I know it's supposed to be the True route, but since Rance made references to Isoroku's kid in Magnum, it's obviously not that simple.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished the route. Very sweet. I think I liked Ran's route better (Ran's just more fun of a character, IMO), though I found Isoroku's route significantly more difficult, mainly thanks to getting dogpiled right after entering it (with Monster Army joining in shortly after, no less). Fighting a 3-front war in Sengoku is no joke, the only way to survive is to make full use of permits.

Did you guys finish all the routes? I always finish one and then take a long break from the game, so I've still got Kenshin's to look forward to. Also what's the actual "canon" timeline of Sengoku? I know it's supposed to be the True route, but since Rance made references to Isoroku's kid in Magnum, it's obviously not that simple.
I have finished all of them and liked Isorokus route the most, well finished. There is something that redeems the character that otherwise doesn't seem redeemable, i like that aspect.
Sengoku was my first rance game though and for me whatever the character is, is how he is portrayed in Sengoku not what happened prior.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Did you guys finish all the routes?
Sort of. Before official translation, I finished every route except demon king (it's a fake route anyway), in translated I think I only did normal, Ran and Isoroku.

Imo Kenshin route is best, because Kenshin is best girl.

More seriously, I think Isoroku route is the worst of the main 3, because it barely deviates at all from true and is iirc strictly easier than true because you just need to not die for 30 turns after entering it and then you autowin. I think Ran as a character is hella boring, but her route is pretty cool (worst part about it is that having her route available means you can't save Sooun). Kenshin route has the happiest ending, and I think the gimmick is neat too.

Monkey route is kinda just Ran minus some content, and demon king is just true with a worse ending. Feel free to skip both of those.

I know it's supposed to be the True route, but since Rance made references to Isoroku's kid in Magnum, it's obviously not that simple.
Iirc if you character clear Isoroku in True then Rance can still have sex with her after he stops having contraceptive magic, so it's not strictly speaking contradictory that she still gets pregnant.

I don't have a full list of the canon ending to sengoku, but it's basically true route + all character clears.

thesecret1

Arcane
More seriously, I think Isoroku route is the worst of the main 3, because it barely deviates at all from true and is iirc strictly easier than true because you just need to not die for 30 turns after entering it and then you autowin.
Kind of, yeah – you get a pretty hard commander fight at the end (so you better have spent time dungeoneering with Rance), but otherwise, you indeed just need to stay alive. The game compensates for that by dogpiling you with the other human factions the second you enter the route – Takeda and Mouri pincer you unless you've already taken them out, Asai-Asakura wars you as well (which is not a problem by itself, but if you take them out, you run the danger of Yuki events making Uesugi war you), If Tokugawa is still alive, they join in because Takeda, and only a few turns after this, Monster Army arrives to complete the party. In a way, I found True route significantly easier because I only had to deal with the monster army, whereas in Isoroku, I had to deal with them, AND with various human factions attacking me every turn, especially Takeda with their blitzing (I find their hero units to be harder than anything Monster army can conceivably throw at you, tbh. They have massive cavalry stacks and come pre-buffed into every fight, while pulling more free cavalry stacks out of their ass every blitz). On the other hand, it's true that if you survive the initial onslaught, you practically cannot lose afterwards.

Iirc if you character clear Isoroku in True then Rance can still have sex with her after he stops having contraceptive magic, so it's not strictly speaking contradictory that she still gets pregnant.
You can clear Isoroku in the True route? I thought Ran, Kenshin, and Isoroku are only clearable in their respective routes

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The game compensates for that by dogpiling you with the other human factions the second you enter the route – Takeda and Mouri pincer you unless you've already taken them out, Asai-Asakura wars you as well (which is not a problem by itself, but if you take them out, you run the danger of Yuki events making Uesugi war you), If Tokugawa is still alive, they join in because Takeda, and only a few turns after this, Monster Army arrives to complete the party.
How exactly did you even enter Isoroku route without having taking out literally any of the other factions? :M

In a way, I found True route significantly easier because I only had to deal with the monster army, whereas in Isoroku, I had to deal with them, AND with various human factions attacking me every turn, especially Takeda with their blitzing (I find their hero units to be harder than anything Monster army can conceivably throw at you, tbh. They have massive cavalry stacks and come pre-buffed into every fight, while pulling more free cavalry stacks out of their ass every blitz).
The true route will also have random factions declare war at you pretty quickly once you get there.

Iirc after you enter a route there's always a few turns of events before stuff really gets going, you want to try and have basically all of japan conquered before the free turns are up. And iirc isoroku route has more free turns than true so I am not sure what happened to you. Maybe I'm misremembering, or you got unlucky.

The takeda blitz event is indeed very very hard: the trick is to kill them before it happens. There's only 6 battles you need to fight to conquer takeda, and the blitz doesn't happen until 5 turns (or more) into the war. So it's not that hard to take them out before it happens. And iirc they never deploy their 4 good commanders outside the blitz.

I recommend doing the blitz though, and then recruiting all of them once they scatter. The better cavalry general is ridiculously op, can solo entire enemy armies as long as they don't have any tactics dispel.
You can clear Isoroku in the True route? I thought Ran, Kenshin, and Isoroku are only clearable in their respective routes
I was pretty sure you could, but wiki says she can never be cleared, just H'd, which is probably what I was thinking of. And you can H her even in true(and she does use some pregnancy boosting charm iirc). Seems kenshin is the same. Ran can be cleared, but only on her route, because you can't clear dead people. I guess they felt pity for people on Ran route, considering how useless she is in combat.

thesecret1

Arcane
How exactly did you even enter Isoroku route without having taking out literally any of the other factions? :M
I went west, only taking out Mouri of the factions I mentioned, and then since Mosnter Army takes over Shimazu, I ended up in a pincer situation. Could have played my hand better there, but oh well :-D
Iirc after you enter a route there's always a few turns of events before stuff really gets going, you want to try and have basically all of japan conquered before the free turns are up. And iirc isoroku route has more free turns than true so I am not sure what happened to you. Maybe I'm misremembering, or you got unlucky.
Nah, Isoroku is specific in that there's no grace period for you. I had them declare war on me the very first turn of that route.
The takeda blitz event is indeed very very hard: the trick is to kill them before it happens. There's only 6 battles you need to fight to conquer takeda, and the blitz doesn't happen until 5 turns (or more) into the war. So it's not that hard to take them out before it happens. And iirc they never deploy their 4 good commanders outside the blitz.
Yeah, I ended up conquering all the other minor factions first, as I wanted to lower the amount of fronts ASAP. I just let Takeda go to town and blitz me over and over – I had enough permits to retake everything they took, since they only blitz every three turns. Even then it was pretty difficult – takeda certainly does deploy its good commanders in defence missions, to the only real way to capture provinces was to spend three fans on getting battle advantage and then out-gauge them
Ran can be cleared, but only on her route, because you can't clear dead people. I guess they felt pity for people on Ran route, considering how useless she is in combat.
And then they dunked on her further by
having you res Chinu instead of her in Magnum.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Nah, Isoroku is specific in that there's no grace period for you. I had them declare war on me the very first turn of that route.
You at the very least get the 5 turns that Kou is missing, don't you?
And then they dunked on her further by
Pretty sure they did that because she scored very low on the popularity poll. But Ran does get her redemption, in the end...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom