Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Gachashit crossovers don't always mean anything is following up but, Square Enix has been pretty consistent with these remasters.
Although funny enough their best ones have been with their lesser popular stuff like Saga Frontier. It's strange.
Not really funny when you consider the fact that Saga remasters are handled by the original creator, Kawazu. Of course he'd curate his own work with care. The FF remasters are done by hacks who don't give a shit since it's not their legacy.

lightbane

Arcane
Since Oddity/Mother 4 turned out to be a dud, other fans made another! Looks quite derivative of Mother 3, but it still looks better than Cal Arts style-graphics.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Atlus has registered an upcoming Steam game with the same rating as Persona 5

eiFgUOi.png

CyberModuled

Savant
Man, I was really fucking hoping it'd be 13 Sentinels just because of the recent Switch announcement. Though hell, I'd literally take anything from ATLUS' library than P5 at this point out of literal spite to see P5 fags seethe.
How many spinoffs they have left?
Still got the Dancing game to port I suppose...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Man, I was really fucking hoping it'd be 13 Sentinels just because of the recent Switch announcement. Though hell, I'd literally take anything from ATLUS' library than P5 at this point out of literal spite to see P5 fags seethe.
How many spinoffs they have left?
Still got the Dancing game to port I suppose...
Don't forget Persona Q2 and whatever fighting games there are (I think?).

Zednick

Educated
So this dropped on Steam today.

I didn't get to play them back in the day, but I do remember wishing that I could get my hands on them. Thoughts?

Duraframe300

Arcane

I didn't get to play them back in the day, but I do remember wishing that I could get my hands on them. Thoughts?

I didn't even notice this was going to be released on PC. Holy shit.

Looking at the steam forum there's some autistic discussion going on regarding their *removal* of the cd feature. Instead you just type in the name of your songs/records. While this is probably peoples most nostalgic memory about Monster Rancher, but it's also just that. Nostalgia. You can't really replicate that feeling from the 90's/early 2000's because it's based on past technological circumstances that were unique for their time. Which is sad, but I'm glad I could experience it.

That also means though that this time I will have to judge the game by its own merits rather than its unique feature. Excited to see how it pans out.

Last edited:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

I didn't even notice this was going to be released on PC. Holy shit.

Looking at the steam forum there's some autistic discussion going on regarding their *removal* of the cd feature. Instead you just type in the name of your songs/records. While this is probably peoples most nostalgic memory about Monster Rancher, but it's also just that. Nostalgia. You can't really replicate that feeling from the 90's/early 2000's because it's based on past technological circumstances that were unique for their time. Which is sad, but I'm glad I could experience it.

That also means though that this time I will have to judge the game by its own merits rather than its unique feature. Excited to see how it pans out.

Let us know how you get on. The only thing anybody ever talked about in the press at the time was the stupid barcode battlers CD hash thing.

Didn't even know it had a sequel.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I suppose it would be too much effort for a mere rerelease, but I think you could do something cool by having it read files instead of CDs. The first two read games as well as music CDs, and the sequels did DVDs too. Some Tecmo games from the time gave you unique monsters, which I can't tell if its kept in this release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
1997 PS1 "RPG without battle" Moon is coming to Steam. This was re-released on Switch 2 years ago (and a year ago in west).

ss_952679b7975e3597abc7d705d912e29f0ebeef9f.600x338.jpg
ss_ed545161ecacc50e48330bdfe0113812bacd23ae.600x338.jpg

This is out now.

In other news...

As mentioned earlier, Fuga: Melodies of Steel's development costs exceeded 327 million Yen. In the 3 months following launch, the worldwide sales have accounted for recouping 120 million of that cost. (In other words, the project's sales have yet to cover for its development costs.)

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mary Skelter 2 is finally coming to PC. Includes the remake of Nightmares too.

Really good news. I don't have time to emulate, so I'll finally get to play it.

Now all they have to do is announce a Death End Re;Quest 3 that goes back to the roots of the first game!

Da7Rnl-U8AAXCmg.jpg

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Some literal who on plebbit said that without any proof to corroborate his claim. Better wait and see what the "people" at Ghostlight have to say.

Vorark

Erudite
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/knights-in-the-nightmare-remaster-delayed-to-spring-2022-in-japan

Knights in the Nightmare Remaster delayed to spring 2022 in Japan

Sting has delayed Knights in the Nightmare Remaster from its previously planned 2021 release window in Japan to spring 2022. It will be available for Switch, iOS, and Android.

In a message, Sting apologized for the delay, while reiterating that Knights in the Nightmare Remaster “is an upgrade, not a simple port.”

The strategy shoot ’em up RPG first launched for DS in September 2008, followed by PlayStation Portable in April 2010. Both versions were released by Atlus in the west.

Talk about a blast from the past, Kitn was such a unique game.

That being said, had no idea Sting was still around, though it seems they are living off of porting/remastering Dept Heaven titles and Baroque to mobile and Switch.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/12/knights-in-the-nightmare-remaster-delayed-to-spring-2022-in-japan

Knights in the Nightmare Remaster delayed to spring 2022 in Japan

Sting has delayed Knights in the Nightmare Remaster from its previously planned 2021 release window in Japan to spring 2022. It will be available for Switch, iOS, and Android.

In a message, Sting apologized for the delay, while reiterating that Knights in the Nightmare Remaster “is an upgrade, not a simple port.”

The strategy shoot ’em up RPG first launched for DS in September 2008, followed by PlayStation Portable in April 2010. Both versions were released by Atlus in the west.

Talk about a blast from the past, Kitn was such a unique game.

That being said, had no idea Sting was still around, though it seems they are living off of porting/remastering Dept Heaven titles and Baroque to mobile and Switch.
Unfortunately Atlus West has stopped localizing things that are non Atlus. Sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom