Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave the Xuan Yuan game a shot. It was fun and looked good. My only gripe is that it was basically a corridor, but maybe that's just the tutorial. Combat flowed well, and it wasn't overly complicated. Before I timed parries fairly well, I was just rolling around, but your stamina depletes quickly, so I had to reconsider my tactics. Presentation is very good, with nice graphics and good music.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Regarding Ho Tu Lo Shu, I accidentally found out Nanzhao and Duan Siping are actually historical. The setting is basically parallel world end of Tang dynasty - beginning of Shu. And Shrimp prolly ends up fukking the daughter of Wang Jian.

Foreign barbarians pig-headed enough to play these games don't even know what they don't know.

Jinn

Arcane
My only gripe is that it was basically a corridor, but maybe that's just the tutorial.

This is why I'll be holding off on it to find out if it stays like this. Seems a common problem for a lot of the Chinese RPGs I would otherwise be very interested in. Just very little in the way of exploration. Also, too frequent, and often too long cutscenes. I guess I'm primarily referring to Gujian and Xuan Yuan, now that I think about it, though they seem to be a couple of the major trend setters.

In other news, finally got time to dig into Banner of the Maiden properly and am having a great time. Really very impressive for the studio's first game. Hope they keep making them and translating them into English. Would be cool if they put their spin on another historical setting.

Vatnik Wumao
Regarding Ho Tu Lo Shu, I accidentally found out Nanzhao and Duan Siping are actually historical. The setting is basically parallel world end of Tang dynasty - beginning of Shu. And Shrimp prolly ends up fukking the daughter of Wang Jian.

Foreign barbarians pig-headed enough to play these games don't even know what they don't know.

Doesn't the game openly admit to this the first time Shrimp meets with Nanxian? Nanxian gives the low down of the setting and Shrimp starts complaining about how the geography makes no sense compared to IRL china and that it doesn't match his knowledge of irl dynasties.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No English translation

1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

4.gif

Jinn

Arcane
Amazing Cultivation Simulator is now in english beta, which is available to everyone who owns the game, I believe. They've announced that they will be entering v1.0 and leaving Early Access near the end of November. Game looks great, like a Rimworld with more RPG elements, and honestly much more up my alley in terms of style. Highly recommend people give it a look.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Amazing Cultivation Simulator is now in english beta, which is available to everyone who owns the game, I believe. They've announced that they will be entering v1.0 and leaving Early Access near the end of November. Game looks great, like a Rimworld with more RPG elements, and honestly much more up my alley in terms of style. Highly recommend people give it a look.

Hah even the Chinese are making fun of CDPR with yellow background and all :lol:

kirin

Learned

but can you force the sims to become cultivation furnaces and sacrifice their vital yin energy to the young master and then harvest their souls to forge corpse puppets

Jinn

Arcane
but can you force the sims to become cultivation furnaces and sacrifice their vital yin energy to the young master and then harvest their souls to forge corpse puppets

Funnily enough, that might be in a DLC they've hinted at releasing later down the line. Something about Zombie cultivation. Also Liquor cultivation. They teased both of them in some update announcement awhile back, but they haven't shown up in the game yet.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron

The English VA in the tutorial makes my ears bleed. Otherwise I am still finishing tutorial but so far so fun

Jinn

Arcane
The English VA in the tutorial makes my ears bleed.

And completely unnecessary. Wish someone would tell the devs English VA should be the least of their concerns. However, it was just in the very first tiny introduction, so no big deal.

Otherwise I am still finishing tutorial but so far so fun

Yeah, ended up picking it up shortly after my post about it last night. Got about halfway through the tutorial and am liking everything I'm seeing so far. I'll probably be able to finish up the tutorial tonight after work and be able to start a new campaign proper.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/gam...5-north-american-operations-all-but-shuttered

Level 5 made Jeanne D'Arc, probably the best PSP game. And some other games.

I know wrong thread, but....

Is it? Maybe I should give it another try. Japanese SRPGs can never hold my interest, for some reason, I always end up dropping them after like an hour. Except for Tactics Ogre.

Jeanne was more accessable than TO. It's not that hard and you don't need to grind. Nice cinematics too.
Remember to pet dog... and recruit him. Drop his lion companion, he sucks.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Finished Xuan-Yuan 7.

83KROUJ.jpg

The game developer is also behind the Sword & Fairy series. I played the translated one in this series but remember almost nothing about it.

There will inevitable be comparisons to Gujian 3, a mainland game with a much bigger budget. To me this game can stand next to it, but with some caveats.

I appreciate that unlike in Gujian 3 you no longer play as a (demi) god but as a mostly regular guy who’s just trying to look out for his sister.

I had expected/feared the little sister would be annoying but she’s a nice character. And when she does dumb stuff it makes sense as she’s literally been sheltered her entire life. You will definitely want to protect her (even though very soon she is capable enough of protecting herself, literally shooting laser beams from her hands).

She’s basically the opposite of Cie Yin from Gujian 3, who was well travelled and knowledgable but thrown into a party with two (demi) gods where she was out of her league completely.

Second gurl is (Qin) Hong(shang), the Mohist blade gurl, I really liked her design. Spunky blade gurl is probably another staple in Chink rpg.

bGjmUxG.jpg

And there’s also an entertaining parrot around.

rJKGcFb.jpg

The game setting is some kind of magical realism as it set around the historical Battle of Kunyang (21AD) but with monsters, parallel worlds, magic spells and such.

Uv9xWjD.png

Unlike Gujian 3 you don’t teleport from one area to the next, it’s a seamless world where you can run from starting village to the endgame areas.

The game has crafting/base building and monster capturing which seems to be a staple of many Chink rpgs. In Gujian 3 the crafting was mostly a time waster as 90% of items were just for dressing up.

But here crafting is critical by improving weapons, armor and creating useful items. Not to mention, most of the character development comes from creating equippable souls that can give various boons.

rC6AxMM.png

Depending on how you like to play there’s a variety of methods to turn main character into a (demi) god himself.

It takes some experimenting to get new souls, it’s not a good game for autists.

Combat wise battles against regular enemies (who respawn) are mostly trivial, although there are some enemies who can inflict status effects that can be deadly early on.

I had made a soul early on that allowed main character to regain health after killing an enemy; as a consequence I barely ever needed to use a healing potion. Especially since it’s also possible to create some synergy between the two gurls: I had one gurl inflict status effects while the other gurl could heal the party by attacking enemies with status effects.

Boss battles can be challenging as they will usually be able to inflict a status effect (burn/poison/bleed) that will drain your health bar really quickly. But then there are equipabble souls that allow one to heal from burn/poison/bleed… so if you’re in trouble you can simply reload, equip a new soul and completely defang the boss.

I think the best fight in the game is the boss fight in the first dungeon because at that point you don’t really have much tricks at your disposal yet. It’s a fair fight in a small arena.

There’s also a memorable fight against a OHKO golem. Final boss in the game is absolutely terrible, a copy paste of Spiders Eurojank Bound by flame final boss but at least your gurls can deal with that crap on their own.

When you take a rest at a campfire, characters at times will spin a lore related tale or just joke around. I wish Ho Tu Lo Shu had had stuff like that.

Last but not least, the game has a really great checkers related minigame that chits all over Gujian 3’s card game.

Translation wise I noticed many spelling errors and grammar mistakes, but of course it’s still Kurt Vonnegut compared to a DeepL translation.

Storywise, I think originally (Qin) Hong(shang) was supposed to be the main character. There’s a lot of story stuff tied to her directly but never really developed... also note that originally little sister’s design was completely different. The ending slides even mention her rather than the main character. Maybe there’ll be DLC.

Overall, I think it’s a 7.5/10 game with some 9/10 moments. Kind of a slow start but gets better as the game progresses.

KZpv6e3.jpg

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Finished Xuan-Yuan 7.

83KROUJ.jpg

The game developer is also behind the Sword & Fairy series. I played the translated one in this series but remember almost nothing about it.

There will inevitable be comparisons to Gujian 3, a mainland game with a much bigger budget. To me this game can stand next to it, but with some caveats.

I appreciate that unlike in Gujian 3 you no longer play as a (demi) god but as a mostly regular guy who’s just trying to look out for his sister.

I had expected/feared the little sister would be annoying but she’s a nice character. And when she does dumb stuff it makes sense as she’s literally been sheltered her entire life. You will definitely want to protect her (even though very soon she is capable enough of protecting herself, literally shooting laser beams from her hands).

She’s basically the opposite of Cie Yin from Gujian 3, who was well travelled and knowledgable but thrown into a party with two (demi) gods where she was out of her league completely.

Second gurl is (Qin) Hong(shang), the Mohist blade gurl, I really liked her design. Spunky blade gurl is probably another staple in Chink rpg.

bGjmUxG.jpg

And there’s also an entertaining parrot around.

rJKGcFb.jpg

The game setting is some kind of magical realism as it set around the historical Battle of Kunyang (21AD) but with monsters, parallel worlds, magic spells and such.

Uv9xWjD.png

Unlike Gujian 3 you don’t teleport from one area to the next, it’s a seamless world where you can run from starting village to the endgame areas.

The game has crafting/base building and monster capturing which seems to be a staple of many Chink rpgs. In Gujian 3 the crafting was mostly a time waster as 90% of items were just for dressing up.

But here crafting is critical by improving weapons, armor and creating useful items. Not to mention, most of the character development comes from creating equippable souls that can give various boons.

rC6AxMM.png

Depending on how you like to play there’s a variety of methods to turn main character into a (demi) god himself.

It takes some experimenting to get new souls, it’s not a good game for autists.

Combat wise battles against regular enemies (who respawn) are mostly trivial, although there are some enemies who can inflict status effects that can be deadly early on.

I had made a soul early on that allowed main character to regain health after killing an enemy; as a consequence I barely ever needed to use a healing potion. Especially since it’s also possible to create some synergy between the two gurls: I had one gurl inflict status effects while the other gurl could heal the party by attacking enemies with status effects.

Boss battles can be challenging as they will usually be able to inflict a status effect (burn/poison/bleed) that will drain your health bar really quickly. But then there are equipabble souls that allow one to heal from burn/poison/bleed… so if you’re in trouble you can simply reload, equip a new soul and completely defang the boss.

I think the best fight in the game is the boss fight in the first dungeon because at that point you don’t really have much tricks at your disposal yet. It’s a fair fight in a small arena.

There’s also a memorable fight against a OHKO golem. Final boss in the game is absolutely terrible, a copy paste of Spiders Eurojank Bound by flame final boss but at least your gurls can deal with that crap on their own.

When you take a rest at a campfire, characters at times will spin a lore related tale or just joke around. I wish Ho Tu Lo Shu had had stuff like that.

Last but not least, the game has a really great checkers related minigame that chits all over Gujian 3’s card game.

Translation wise I noticed many spelling errors and grammar mistakes, but of course it’s still Kurt Vonnegut compared to a DeepL translation.

Storywise, I think originally (Qin) Hong(shang) was supposed to be the main character. There’s a lot of story stuff tied to her directly but never really developed... also note that originally little sister’s design was completely different. The ending slides even mention her rather than the main character. Maybe there’ll be DLC.

Overall, I think it’s a 7.5/10 game with some 9/10 moments. Kind of a slow start but gets better as the game progresses.

KZpv6e3.jpg

Read reviews that the game is extremely linear and is basically one corridor after another. Is this true?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The game's a disappointment unless they manage to come up with a good expansion or DLCs.

Looks like next game from mainland Faith of Danschant 2 will chit all over it.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
It was on youtube at 720p fully subbed for years, and just the day I found out about it it was taken down. RIP.

Jinn

Arcane

Left early access today with a massive update and the completed English version. Check it out. It's a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom