Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
How was Seal of Evil? Since it's a sequel to Prince of Qin you'd expect a similar level of quality. Also, Ho Tu Lo Shu looks interesting but I heard that despite several english fan translations, none of them are good. Oh, well.

Jinn

Arcane
Also, Ho Tu Lo Shu looks interesting but I heard that despite several english fan translations, none of them are good. Oh, well.

Still well worth playing. Use the Lash patch on the steam workshop if you do.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Fan translations are likely going to be better than phoned in official translations tbh.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Not really in the case of Chinese games. We've got mostly machine translated garbage. But it's better than nothing.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The early 90s saw an end of the dispute between multiple home computer standards, with IBM PC compatibles becoming the global standard, thanks in part to the new VGA graphics cards that allowed for much better graphics:

Much more accessible than machines like the Amiga, they allowed for developers across the globe to produce far more advanced games.
The Amiga, with its elegant graphical user interface, was far more accessible than DOS-constricted IBM PC clones. However, IBM PCs had quickly gobbled up the business-use market after their release in 1981, and, following the establishment of the new EGA graphical standard in 1984, they also made increasing inroads into the home-use market through the rest of the 1980s. This made it quite difficult for Commodore, Apple, and Atari to achieve any measure of success with their new 16-bit Amigas, Macintoshes, and STs which were, of course, incompatible with earlier computer systems, unlike IBM PCs that maintained compatibility. The golden age of Amiga-developed games was the five-year span from 1989 through 1993, even though the early '90s saw a rapidly increasing rate of PC games with VGA graphics that could boast a much larger number of colors, whereas the Amiga had enjoyed a great advantage in graphics over EGA.

Vatnik Wumao
Also, Ho Tu Lo Shu looks interesting but I heard that despite several english fan translations, none of them are good. Oh, well.

Still well worth playing. Use the Lash patch on the steam workshop if you do.

Did anyone hit a sudden difficulty spike during the two stage boss fight at the fort? The one where you fight the guy with the metal mask and then immediately follow up with a group scrum with the main boss, iron mask guy, several mooks and infinite respawning panthers. I managed to beat the boss fight by retreating to the inner wall and using the door as a chokepoint, but the main boss still wrecked my party hard.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
WtzBo1t.png

6cUCYNO.png

purpleblob

Savant
Made a new article, this time looking into the history of Korean RPGs: https://felipepepe.medium.com/rpgs-...-package-online-and-mobile-games-759478508a1c

Not as juicy as Chinese RPGs, but they had some interesting stuff, like the Count of Monte Cristo-inspired War of Genesis: Rhapsody of Zephyr, and the CRPG with JRPG aesthetics Forgotten Saga.

Interesting read but are any of the "good" ones like Forgotten Saga (by Sonnori) and War of Gensis 2 even playable? I did some reading and it says Forgotten Saga is almost impossible to finish due to bugs - in comparison, War of Genesis 2 is a bit more playable but I might just wait for the new remake - too bad its coming out on Switch only tho.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Xuan-Yuan Sword: the Scar of the Sky is now available on Steam. Chinese only.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Hey guise, is any of these recently released high-budget(supposedly) Chinese RPGs good? Which one is the best?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Hey guise, is any of these recently released high-budget(supposedly) Chinese RPGs good? Which one is the best?
Which Chinese rpgs have you played?

Tale of Wuxia, but I'm talking about these newly released, good-looking action RPGs.

That monkey game grabbed my attention so I thought I'd give others a try. Was keeping a look on Wind Road but couldn't find much about it here, and the steam reviews are not very encouraging(not that I care... which is why I came here asking after all).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think the closest you'll find right now to the Monkey game is Bloody Spell: https://store.steampowered.com/app/992300/_Bloody_Spell

It's still in Early Access and looks very fan-service-y, but I've been seeing a lot of very positive reviews.

If you're ok with multiplayer, then there's Naraka: Bladepoint: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203220/NARAKA_BLADEPOINT/

GuJian 3 is gorgeous and has some fun-action RPG combat, it even has an arena mode after you finish it:

However, it's mainly a traditional RPG, so 80% of the time you'll be walking around and listening to extremely long dialogs, so might not be what you're looking for.

The other big one is Xuan-Yuan Sword VII, but I tried the demo and didn't like it... basically a very linear budget Dark Souls with poor animations. Then there's Chinese Paladin 7, which is set for late 2021 but has a Chinese-only demo out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1543030/

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I think the closest you'll find right now to the Monkey game is Bloody Spell: https://store.steampowered.com/app/992300/_Bloody_Spell

It's still in Early Access and looks very fan-service-y, but I've been seeing a lot of very positive reviews.

If you're ok with multiplayer, then there's Naraka: Bladepoint: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203220/NARAKA_BLADEPOINT/

GuJian 3 is gorgeous and has some fun-action RPG combat, it even has an arena mode after you finish it:

However, it's mainly a traditional RPG, so 80% of the time you'll be walking around and listening to extremely long dialogs, so might not be what you're looking for.

The other big one is Xuan-Yuan Sword VII, but I tried the demo and didn't like it... basically a very linear budget Dark Souls with poor animations. Then there's Chinese Paladin 7, which is set for late 2021 but has a Chinese-only demo out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1543030/

Is Naraka even an RPG though? Those combat videos look cool but the game's description is very vague. There's not even a RPG tag on the steam page.

I saw your review of Gujian 3. I was almost getting it but I changed my mind on the last second. I'm feeling like playing something more gameplay oriented.

Have you tried Wind Road? I've seen some videos of it that really appealed to me, but I've found only one incomplete review of it here on the Codex.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is Naraka even an RPG though? Those combat videos look cool but the game's description is very vague. There's not even a RPG tag on the steam page.
No, Naraka is basically a martial arts battle royale, like Fortnite with swords.

About Wind Road, I also don't know... been on my wishlist for ages, but still hasn't left Early Access and the reviews are mixed... would try Bloody Spell before picking this one up.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I saw your review of Gujian 3. I was almost getting it but I changed my mind on the last second. I'm feeling like playing something more gameplay oriented.

Have you tried Wind Road? I've seen some videos of it that really appealed to me, but I've found only one incomplete review of it here on the Codex.

You could try the Sword and Fairy 7 demo. It doesn't have English subs, but the full game will.

There's Gujian 3 and Xuan Yuan Sword 7. They aren't masterpiece classics, but still alright.

If you liked Tale of Wuxia, I HIGHLY recommend Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel, and Ho Tu Lo Shu: Book of Dragons.

Book of Dragons requires an English fan patch, but if you get everything to work, it's a fun game. I beat it twice.

Faith of Danschant is a very good looking game for its time. But it is very linear, and has no English translation.

Wind Road is on my wish list.

Bloody Spell, Gate of Firmament and a few others are in my backlog.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Got curious and gave Bloody Spell a try... it's really bad.

It's like two people got Unreal engine and decided to remake Nioh. Everything is EXTREMELY janky, levels are just the same few assets & enemies over and over, there's absolutely no logic in the equipment & spell balance, etc... I doubt this can be salvaged by just exiting Early Access. :/

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Got curious and gave Bloody Spell a try... it's really bad.

It's like two people got Unreal engine and decided to remake Nioh. Everything is EXTREMELY janky, levels are just the same few assets & enemies over and over, there's absolutely no logic in the equipment & spell balance, etc... I doubt this can be salvaged by just exiting Early Access. :/

You didn't even mention the hot babe and the unlockable costumes :roll:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Konjad, as codex's biggest Bloody Spell fan, your rebuttal?
I had lots of fun and boob physics are top notch.

Dunno what else to say, never played Nioh. I do like 'Bloody Spell' way more than Dark souls.

And in what other game you have:

Bitch slap

D3C8DF4B10C465B96F3F0805AF085AEBF3851A78

Boob hug

EC4555737F85FBA3055C62156443E1A600290162

And... Forced pussy licking while being choked:

92EC7905D3F5F450019F22862D7B6E38AA13E151

On a more serious note, combat in 嗜血印 is fast, fluid and responsive (unlike in most action games I played where it feels kinds like it has a lag), but I'm not a great fan of the genre and played limited games of this kind, so I won't claim taste superiority.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's probably one of the best action games out there, even if there are better that I haven't tried. Though most of them are xbawx/psx ports that play like trash on keyboard and mouse, and I refuse to support any of such. KB +mouse or fuck off, and 嗜血印 plays great on a PC.

Maybe I'd say more, but felipepepe 's comment was very shallow so there's nothing to respond to. Other than I know he has a trash taste in general. He's the guy who made CRPG book but didn't include Prelude to Darkness, so what else you need to know.

Peachcurl

Cipher
M.A.S.S. Builder, a mech action game with "an in-depth customization system" from Thailand. Published by Sekai Project. Demo is available:

ss_842f8f8c05ca68badad93036e43980fcb78caf91.600x338.jpg

Kickstarter:

Played the demo a bit, since the promised level of detail of the mech customization seemed promising.
But now I don't know what to think. From the demo, it seems that 99% of the customization is visuals only.

Anyone try this and can report on whether progression and customization is actually relevant and interesting in this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom