Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Random Non-Japanese Asian RPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^I'm not sure about that one. I have some hopes for Dual Gear. The game looks promising. You can't really pick and choose when it comes to turn-based mecha games.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
kv1OhMM.png

you can play as gurl with big tiddies

DOP5Lyv.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^Got that in the "backlog".

Here's another upcoming Chinese game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Turn-based tactics, no English option. Seems to be a roguelike.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/09/chinese-action-rpg-wuchang-fallen-feathers-announced
Chinese developer Leenzee Games has announced WUCHANG: Fallen Feathers, an action RPG set in the final years of the Ming Dynasty in Ancient China. It is due out in 2024. Platforms were not announced.

Here is a brief overview of the game, via Leenzee Games:

Set in the chaotic final years of the Ming Dynasty, WUCHANG: Fallen Feathers is an exploration of the hauntingly beautiful landscapes of imperial China and the battle against mysterious forces that transform a grim reality to supernatural horror.

Watch the 18-minute gameplay reveal trailer below. Follow the game on Twitter @PlayWUCHANG.

Suicidal

Arcane
Out of all these Chinese action games that are in development right now (like Wukong and that Lost Soul game) this looks the cheapest and most derivative. Seems like the devs took Souls, Sekiro and Nioh and threw them into a blender. Some things look straight out of those games (Souls animations, Sekiro UI, the level looks like a Nioh level remade in Unreal Engine). The fact that it looks so scuffed also means that out of the Chinese action games this is the one that is most likely to actually get released.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The demo made me lose interest, fighting giant turnips and onions in what's essentially an otome game. Way too fruity.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Played 2 hours, so far I'm enjoying it. Combat system is basically the same as Gujian 3 (Action-RPG, fast attack & strong attack, dodge, special skills using MP). Has no parry, but now with party members you can instantly swap.

Translation is good but not great. Some parts flow perfectly, other feels like it's another translator doing it and it's mediocre. But it's never as bad as machine translation or stuff like Tales of Wuxia.

The game starts like the demo, just killing turnips, but then stakes are quickly raised and we move to demonic witches:

rIG1Bfz.png
GYlxBbK.png

Presentation is amazing, really cool to see a giant sect full of disciples and sword saints flying around in their swords, and the animation on the models & cutscenes is top notch.

I basically finished the intro now, got two characters and a goal, will update once I play more.

Jinn

Arcane
Played 2 hours, so far I'm enjoying it. Combat system is basically the same as Gujian 3 (Action-RPG, fast attack & strong attack, dodge, special skills using MP). Has no parry, but now with party members you can instantly swap.

I want to get it, but my two major questions would be: how's the difficulty and exploration?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I want to get it, but my two major questions would be: how's the difficulty and exploration?
Exploration is borderline non-existent so far... biggest open area so far is the initial village in the demo. There's some items and lore books here and there, but it's pretty much a linear JRPG style of game.

Difficulty is a mess. There's Easy, Normal & Hard, I'm playing on Normal and monsters are either pushovers or will take all your HP in 2-3 hits. Since you get plenty of healing items, only real danger are special quest monsters or normal random monsters pushing you to a corner and quickly hitting you 2-3 times in a row. Biggest issue I have are the companions... they are really fucking dumb. Not only they barely damage enemies, they also can't pathfind and will simply stop doing ANYTHING if the enemy goes around a corner or something like that. I imagine that on Hard they just die all the time.

If those two things are important for you, this isn't the game for ya. I had fun with some boss battles, and the landscape is absolutely gorgeous, but this is a story game about a young girl and her personal immortal swordsaint.

Wouldn't call it Otome Game, maybe more like Young Adult stuff like Hunger Games.

Jinn

Arcane
Exploration is borderline non-existent so far... biggest open area so far is the initial village in the demo. There's some items and lore books here and there, but it's pretty much a linear JRPG style of game.

Difficulty is a mess. There's Easy, Normal & Hard, I'm playing on Normal and monsters are either pushovers or will take all your HP in 2-3 hits. Since you get plenty of healing items, only real danger are special quest monsters or normal random monsters pushing you to a corner and quickly hitting you 2-3 times in a row. Biggest issue I have are the companions... they are really fucking dumb. Not only they barely damage enemies, they also can't pathfind and will simply stop doing ANYTHING if the enemy goes around a corner or something like that. I imagine that on Hard they just die all the time.

If those two things are important for you, this isn't the game for ya. I had fun with some boss battles, and the landscape is absolutely gorgeous, but this is a story game about a young girl and her personal immortal swordsaint.

Wouldn't call it Otome Game, maybe more like Young Adult stuff like Hunger Games.

I mean, I like JRPGs. Though a lot of JRPGs may be fairly linear in nature, there's usually still some fun exploration to be had, particularly in dungeons and the like. Sounds like this is a little closer to Gujian 3 when it comes to that though, where there was hardly any exploration. The developers of these Chinese third-person Action RPGs really have something against putting good exploration in their games. And of course they like to load them up with absurdly long cutscenes too. Must just be a staple of Sword and Fairy, Xuan-Yuan, Gujian type games. It's so weird, because on the other side of the spectrum we have stuff like Sands of Salazar, Scroll of Taiwu, Tale of Immortal, Path of Wuxia, Ho Tu Lo Shu, Cultivation Simulator etc, that give the player way more freedom, more along the lines of CRPGs. Those tend to be my preferred Chinese RPGs, despite my love of JRPGs. They just take it too far with the former batch of games I mentioned.

The thing I did like in Gujian 3 was the combat on Hard. I thought some of the fights were extremely well-done and provided a good challenge. Sounds like this probably would on Hard too. I guess I'll check it out sometime when I'm in the mood for something very story heavy. Too bad.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
GuJian began as a Chinese Paladin 4 clone by its former devs, I thing those two are basically trying to achieve the same thing, focusing A LOT on story. And yeah, GuJian's combat is always satisfying and challenging, even on 1 and 2. But the storytelling in CP7 flows MUCH better.

Honestly, my preferred Chinese games are the Heluo Studio ones. Every single game they did is interesting, even B-side stuff like Heroes of the Three Kingdoms. I just hate that every single one of them has shitty translations (or no translation at all). :/

Jinn

Arcane
Honestly, my preferred Chinese games are the Heluo Studio ones. Every single game they did is interesting, even B-side stuff like Heroes of the Three Kingdoms. I just hate that every single one of them has shitty translations (or no translation at all). :/

Yep, it's a goddamn tragedy. Of all the Chinese RPGs out there, those deserve proper and professionally done translations. I can still play and enjoy them with the shit translations, but it inevitably ends up with me getting worn down and disappointed by what I'm reading, wishing I knew what was actually going on. Ho Tu Lo Shu in particular. Lash's patch is much appreciated, but it just doesn't cut it for me.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I'm still in the starting village, it's not only the translation slowing me down. There's a huge amount of detail and things to do even unrelated to rumours

XwFBI4g.png

You even get to trudge through 30 rules of go

JfINuV8.png

X50CxP1.png

Jinn

Arcane
An "official" translation for this is apparently planned, so let's hope it ends up being somewhat decent. I just can't bring myself to play these with the DeepL or machine translations anymore. There's so much going on already without having to parse through barely coherent text on top of it.

kyosuke

Educated
Patron
Many reviews for Fateseeker 2 saying that after over 10+ hours of playing it, they only had less than 20 mins of combat lol
And many of them didn't leave the starter village till 5-10 hours of play time cause they wanna finish everything there first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom