Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen Random Risen thread

Ravielsk

Magister
Its been ages since I played it but I remember thinking that its essentially what Gothic 3 should have been. The combat, the factions, the basic idea of the narrative. It was all kind of both a soft reboot for Gothic(since PB at the time did not own the rights to the IP) but also a continuation. "The gods are gone, what now?" sort of plot. The second half is still visibly unfinished as I have a hard time believing that 4+ hours of dungeon crawling was really the plan.

It's a great game, which had its name tarnished by trash sequels. Its main city rivals and in some aspects is better than Khorinis.
Yes, but also no. The sequels mainly damaged Risen as a series. When Risen 1 launched it was mainly harmed by the supposedly sub-par Xbox360 port. I never played that version so I cannot confirm it first hand but from what I heard it ran poorly and looked bad even by the standard of the day also bugs if I remember correctly. It was a PC game first and foremost and the Xbox360 was just an afterthought. Also the game came out before Dark Souls made it cool again for games to have any amount of challenge in them so a lot of crap was hurled at the game for being "hard". I recommend watching the angry joe review of the game, not because he is correct about anything really but because it demonstrates the poor technical state of the 360 port and of the difference in mentality.

Incidentally this is also why in the west Gothic 1 and 2 were little more than obscure gems until recently as when they launched they were almost universally dismissed as rather boring, convoluted euro jank.

Tigranes

Arcane
I can't into Risen, but I'd like to. All games are shit, and I've already played the good ones recently, like IWD 2, KotC, and ToEE. And they were shit. Good shit, but still shit. I'm playing MM7 and it's a turd.

I'm at the very beginning, just got into town. The crash site and the farm stuff work really well, but the town is overwhelming. Everyone wants has problems to fix and they need me to fix them. It might be my nostalgia talking, but I don't remember G1&2 having everyone pushing their problems on me. It was I who needed help and I was ready to make myself useful to get ahead. I've been in the town for 10 minutes and 10 people have asked me to sell their fish or rescue them. It's silly.

Does this game suffer from the modern disease of making our character a hero and a rescuer beloved by all who cross paths with him?

I can imagine that in some moments, Risen 1 can feel more "formulaic" in that respect - that for whatever reason, it is more transparently visible how each town/faction has a 'counter' of favours you need to perform to win their trust. However, I wouldn't put too much stock on it; in practice it works pretty much like G1/2, and overall the game retains the same Piranha Bytes vibe.

BTW, game is a lot more fun/free-form if you use the area at the top of the path to the tower to jump over the wall & explore as you like.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
God damn it, Enrico...

The first time I played Risen (at launch) I had a hard time finding a prospecting trainer. Eventually I learned it from the treasure hunter in town.

Afterwards I googled to see if there were other prospecting trainers, as I like to explore a lot before going to town. Found multiple guides that said I could learn prospecting from Enrico (who's the guy that's afraid of ghosts, in the swamp camp) after giving him the amulet. But he didn't offer to teach me.

On every damn playthrough since then (there's been 10+...) I tried learning it from him. No luck.

Eventually dismissed it. Figured that he might only teach prospecting in chapter 2, after I've already been in town.

But then, when I happened to tune in to a Risen playthrough on Twitch, Enrico fucking offered to teach prospecting immediately after talking to him in chapter 1. The streamer even had a smug Pepe look. :argh:

Screenshot-2021-08-09-154028.png

I figure it's probably caused by an unofficial patch. But if so, it's weird that some old guides refer to him as a prospecting trainer. Maybe it was broken by one of the last official patches.

Can anyone confirm how to make this pleb teach me prospecting? Maybe this unofficial patch?

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
For what it's worth, that unofficial patch did the trick. Can learn prospecting early now. It apparently also solves several other bugs I've been playing around, like the Ilumar quest not being removed from the quest log.

Now I'm just kicking myself for not knowing about it earlier.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The unofficial patch is absolutely essential since it removes several game-breaking bugs.

Old One

Arcane
I love the gnomes. Risen 1 gnomes are the best low-level pest monsters I can remember in any game. They pick their noses and throw garbage at you before swarm attacking.

Unfortunately they were completely ruined in Risen 2 and became intolerable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom