Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Exhuminator

Arcane
I'm using SNES9X V1.60 to play Trials of Mana. It's the exact same ROM from the official collection that released last year. Just setup the way I want it to be via emulation.

Gaylord III

Literate
Radiant Historia (DS version) is quite the hidden gem. Walks a fine line between SMT's apocalyptic setting and your typical JRPG light-heartedness, which makes it very enjoyable. Unfortunately, it can't be milked very well apparently so there has been no sequel yet.

So, i played a bit of Kangz Field 2 today and holy shit, the framerate in this game is dreadful ! most of the times, i died because of the framerate. Its go from 25 to 7 to 15 to 8 just by turning around, if this isn't bad enough, the framerate it's also tied with the game speed, so the game can go from fast to slideshow to fast again in 2 seconds. Every time there's more than 3 enemies on screen at the same time, the game slowdown hard. There's a part where there was two red lizards throwing fireballs at me, the game did slowdown to 7 fps, i couldn't barely move, the only way i found to beat this part, is to use the bow and popamole through it.

Honestly, i did beat Kangz Field 1(JP), i enjoyed it, it has its moments of slowdown, but for the most part the framerate was consistent, i think i'll pass KF2 and maybe KF3, 70% of the difficulty in KF2 is tied to the shitty framerate, it's not fun to play.

Last edited:

Exhuminator

Arcane
Is there any improvement in the menu lag from the original SNES?
The version of Seiken Densetsu 3 included in Collection of Mana, is a professionally localized version of the original SFC ROM. But it's just a sanctioned localization. They did not make any changes to the game's code beyond that. So unfortunately the menus are just as laggy as they ever were.

So, i played a bit of Kangz Field 2 today and holy shit, the framerate in this game is dreadful .

I am a huge fan of FromSoftware's first person dungeon crawlers. I have beaten all of them, all the King's Fields, Shadow Towers, and even Eternal Ring. LOVE THE SHIT OUTTA DEM

That said, I used ePSXe to emulate KF 1-3, and the first Shadow Tower. Part of the reason I did that, was to increase the frame rate. If you're playing any of the PS1 KF games on actual PS1 hardware, yeah the framerate is rough. I recommend emulating them.

That said, KF4 (AKA King's Field: The Ancient City) and Shadow Tower Abyss all run great on PS2. No framerate problems there at all. So at least give KF4 a chance before throwing in the towel on one of the greatest gaming series of all time.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So, i played a bit of Kangz Field 2 today and holy shit, the framerate in this game is dreadful ! most of the times, i died because of the framerate. Its go from 25 to 7 to 15 to 8 just by turning around, if this isn't bad enough, the framerate it's also tied with the game speed, so the game can go from fast to slideshow to fast again in 2 seconds. Every time there's more than 3 enemies on screen at the same time, the game slowdown hard. There's a part where there was two red lizards throwing fireballs at me, the game did slowdown to 7 fps, i couldn't barely move, the only way i found to beat this part, is to use the bow and popamole through it.

Honestly, i did beat Kangz Field 1(JP), i enjoyed it, it has its moments of slowdown, but for the most part the framerate was consistent, i think i'll pass KF2 and maybe KF3, 70% of the difficulty in KF2 is tied to the shitty framerate, it's not fun to play.
Try overclocking the emulated cpu,it is gonna be costly in performance but might fix your issues.

Ysaye

Arbiter
It isn’t just nostalgia; the new style of sprites is objectively mobile trash tier.

Damned Registrations, that is from the psx/saturn remake, isn’t it? I was comparing to original sega genesis/snes/pc-engine art, which looks way grittier and more “realistic” (though obviously constrained by the technology). I would have grabbed a picture of the same battle, but I couldn’t find one online of the original art.

The problem isn’t that the soldiers look generic (they are generic soldier), it’s that the art style itself is generic. You can draw a generic soldier in an interesting way
e.g.
9756.jpg
knights.of.the.round.s6.jpg
wof_screenshot.png
kod_screenshot.png

... or you can draw them like mobile trash with no discernible character or uniqueness. It would have been great if the remake had unit sprites that looked like golden axe; that is what they should have done. You seem to have decent taste in art, so I’m not sure why you’re defending the new art and saying it just comes down to “magic spiral hair and big pauldrons.”

Well I ended up caving in and buying the new Langrisser despite my reservations about the changes in graphics. I am playing with the "original" artwork (note it is I think something very much in the style of or a scan of the artwork, not exactly originals if you played SNES or Megadrive); as mentioned the spriters are the "new" style which is reminiscent of mobile games or Fire Emblem Heroes (note I have not played Fire Emblem Heroes just know roughly what the graphics looks like). Interestingly I was reading a book on using the game engine Godot and they argue that this form of sprite animation is better than the old one (and consequently have this built in as the default approach to doing 2d animation)....but anyway they are not as annoying as I thought they would be.

Weirdly though it looks like they left the map tiles the same as the SNES version? So you have these new sprites over the top of low pixel backgrounds!?!

What does change in the classic version is the profile pictures - these are set to the original artwork style, but with some kind of crude jaw-and-eye-animation for when they speak. This works for some of them, but for others where the portrait was kind of skewed (Elwin for example) it looks a bit weird. And that profile shot of Cherie has only ONE word (see https://langrisser.gamepedia.com/Cherie#Classic_Art) - to be honest I stop reading what her dialogue is saying when that comes up.

For those that haven't played Langrisser, it is still a fun game worth trying out. The use of units with leadership influence and a large range of magic effects adds a lot more tactics than say a Fire Emblem and it is enjoyable in that sense. The plotlines of the initial two games are not particularly fascinating compared to say Langrisser IV/V where things get a little more grey, but you don't spend much of time in plot, and when you do Cherie will speak up a couple of times and you will be "what were you saying?".

So, i just beat Arc The Lad, shortest RPG i've ever played, i beat the game in only one day, it took only 9 hours, good game though.

One thing i didn't like is how overpowered the main character become later in the game compared to everyone else, he can solo the entire game.

If you're looking for a short and chill RPG, this is definitely a good one.

and this is my favourite track:

Kaivokz

Arcane
So, i just beat Arc The Lad, shortest RPG i've ever played, i beat the game in only one day, it took only 9 hours, good game though.

One thing i didn't like is how overpowered the main character become later in the game compared to everyone else, he can solo the entire game.

and this is my favourite track:

2 and 3 are much longer—1 is kind of like the prologue that sets up the world. The music in all of them is good.

Exhuminator

Arcane

I agree with your assessment. I beat Arc 1 myself back in 2016. It's a pleasant SRPG snack. I've been meaning to get to Arc 2 since then. But yeah, so many games, so little time.

So i played King's field 3, i enjoyed it to a point, but i think i'm done with it.

I got pretty far into the game without guides or having to draw maps, however i'm now stuck again and i have no idea what to do, i don't want to use guides and i also don't want to wander around for hours again, so i'm going to just move on to another game.

i don't like this gameplay design of getting stuck and having to wander around for hours trying to find a hidden object/switch or to solve a obscure puzzle in order to progress, "Zelda-like" is what i call it.I also don't like insane backtracking in a 15 fps capped game.

But overall i enjoyed the game, the soundtrack is great, the story is okay, the atmosphere is perfect.The setting is pretty bland though, compared to KF2.

Every King's field game has top tier soundtrack and atmosphere.

Last edited:
So i played King's field 3, i enjoyed it to a point, but i think i'm done with it.
If you liked King's Field I'd recommend Shadow Tower ps1 and Shadow Tower Abyss ps2 if you haven't already tried them. Abyss never got a release outside of Japan but its pretty easy to find a fan translation. Both maintain a good atmosphere though sadly lack a good soundtrack and the better handling of resource management has made Shadow Tower a more interesting series than King's Field for me.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei 4.
Cool game , soundtrack is amazing , gameplay is nice and the story + characters ,... They sure exist so far.
BUT the overworld map is trash and who thought Smirk was a good idea , should be fired. :argh:
But it's nice game so far. 36+ hours only now i got the jirae talisman.

Cool game , soundtrack is amazing , gameplay is nice and the story + characters ,... They sure exist so far.
BUT the overworld map is trash and who thought Smirk was a good idea , should be fired. :argh:
I finished my Shin Megami Tensei IV play through a few days ago moved onto Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, it's silly how much better Apocalypse is in almost every way. The over world map is much clearer and the map actually lists location names, Slight changes to the Smirk system to make it more manageable, the most noticeable change though is how much smoother and faster the menuing is. It's definitely worth trying Apocalypse sometime after IV.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

What's wrong with Smirk? But year overworld map is kinda thrash and expects everyone to know where all the Tokyo wards are.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
What's wrong with Smirk?

I dislike the RNG aspect + it'wa way too strong. And from what i heard , SMT4A fixes this.
For the player it seems such huge unfair advantage because you get a turn without getting hit and insane damage next turn ( or even this turn depeding on how many action are left for you).
And the enemy side , it's bullshit because IF the boss or crits you , you're fucked. In my experience , everytime a boss or mobs smirk means you at least one party member gonna die for sure or even my entire party.

The only boss that took me more than two tries , was the Corpse Disposal boss and that was because he smirked after a crit in first three attempts. In my fouth one , he smirked but thankfully only took out one demon of my before i chained 50 Agi into his ass. He wasn't hard , he was just lucky that i couldn't press turn his ass fast enough.
Also Smirk happens a lot more when you're lost in the overworld map.. I died 5+ times already by mobs because of smirk.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I finished my Shin Megami Tensei IV play through a few days ago moved onto Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse, it's silly how much better Apocalypse is in almost every way. The over world map is much clearer and the map actually lists location names, Slight changes to the Smirk system to make it more manageable, the most noticeable change though is how much smoother and faster the menuing is. It's definitely worth trying Apocalypse sometime after IV.

Apocalypse sounds amazing and the best SMT game when people aren't talking about the story :lol:

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What's wrong with Smirk?
I dislike the RNG aspect + it'wa way too strong. And from what i heard , SMT4A fixes this.
For the player it seems such huge unfair advantage because you get a turn without getting hit and insane damage next turn ( or even this turn depeding on how many action are left for you).
And the enemy side , it's bullshit because IF the boss or crits you , you're fucked. In my experience , everytime a boss or mobs smirk means you at least one party member gonna die for sure or even my entire party.
The only boss that took me more than two tries , was the Corpse Disposal boss and that was because he smirked after a crit in first three attempts. In my fouth one , he smirked but thankfully only took out one demon of my before i chained 50 Agi into his ass. He wasn't hard , he was just lucky that i couldn't press turn his ass fast enough.
Also Smirk happens a lot more when you're lost in the overworld map.. I died 5+ times already by mobs because of smirk.

I didn't really get the crit problem, perhaps you should get more Kaja skills.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Just watched my girlfriend get the absolute worst ending possible in Persona 4. Made me laugh pretty hard.

Puukko

Arcane

OG Sakura Wars got fan translated recently and this video got me interested. 90s anime steampunk strategy RPG with dating sim and VN elements. That's an interesting combo, and a good reason for me to try out Saturn emulation.

Just check out the soul in this intro:

I think I'll play the early bits and then get back to finishing FF8 first. I definitely don't want to leave that one hanging. The in game timer says 58 hours at the beginning of the second to last dungeon but I think that's closer to 70 with all the restarts. It's been a very enjoyable ride thanks to the constant challenge.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane

OG Sakura Wars got fan translated recently and this video got me interested. 90s anime steampunk strategy RPG with dating sim and VN elements. That's an interesting combo, and a good reason for me to try out Saturn emulation.

Just check out the soul in this intro:

I think I'll play the early bits and then get back to finishing FF8 first. I definitely don't want to leave that one hanging. The in game timer says 58 hours at the beginning of the second to last dungeon but I think that's closer to 70 with all the restarts. It's been a very enjoyable ride thanks to the constant challenge.

There is a couple of things that might run your experience:

-The game is 80 percent visual novel
-The game is piss easy
-The rpg elements are almost nonexistent

Play for a hour and see if your really love the story,if you do then continue playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom