Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Which one btw? :martini:

8ecad84509cd5f51a6356ca420ee3fdb-jpg-if-ANIME-PICTURES-NET-481727-1817x1318-shining-series-shining-r.jpg

Fuck Elves

Literally.
Oh yes! Fuck them over and over. Adventure? What adventure? Its in my pants. Just the right number there.

Anyway
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_(video_game_series)

Jesus Christ, I fidn't know there were that many shining games (even if you take out the phone remake ones). Yeesh

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned
Recently played the first two Suikoden games on the Playstation (using the bug-fix versions so you can get the full experience) and they are perfect for a nice, smooth and easy JRPG experience after games like Final Fantasy were you need specific abilities or strategies against most bosses and even some mooks or you will die.

You have loads of characters to choose from and the ability customize their weapons and abilities while the grinding is efficiently cut short (Want to level up a favorite level 9 character? Only a few battles later against stronger enemies and they are level 40.)

The story is also nice, some light depth regarding it's world building and lore but not too ground breaking and characters are quite memorable in both their design and personality.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I really have no issues using action replay codes, or 'cheat' DLC or whatever to try and maximize the amount of fun I can squeeze out of a game. I want the game to be a challenge but in a way I enjoy.
100% agreed. In my post I wasn't bitching about "cheats as DLCs" being bad because being cheats. It's just disappointing they aren't more content-related. But in Strange Journey Redux we have the whole new Totally Not Labyrinth of Amala and Murder Chick from the Future, so maybe that's enough of new content...

lightbane

Arcane
Not sure if it counts as a JRPG, but I'm playing Pokemon MD: Explorers of the Sky. Quite a fun dungeon-delving roguelike. Shame the friendly AI is retarded, and the difficulty is uneven: At points, you're steamrolling the opposition, then, suddenly bad weather fucks up your party, and you stumble upon a Monster House (aka the room is flooded by powerful enemies), cutting your escape. THEN you step into a trap tile when you try to move to boot.

j2alg

Educated
I reached floor 8 in Dungeon Travelers 1, vita remake
Sweet Jesus. The boss fight right before is hardcore, a big difficulty spike compared to everything before and much harder than in the original where Sa-ryan was pretty harmless. Those two are like Ren and Tlachtga on crack

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Finally played Anachronox, player beware:
Great writing, laugh-out-loud funny at times.
Pretty good music all through.
Decent controls combining regular third person navigation with 2D pointnclick interaction. Feels good once it clicks.
Interesting Fifth Element type story,
that ends on a huge "more questions-no resolution" cliffhanger

Sadly the gameplay is mostly a slog that drags on and on.
Combat quickly boils down to (another) annoying minigame of managing the speed-up button as to not give the enemy too many free turns. Itemization\level progression as good as non-existent.
Annoying minigames that require you to backtrack up and down the levels in order to get the correct partymember to activate them. "you got a healing potion".....again. Beurk.
Plot seems to move in lurching spurts thanks to the dragging please-no-more general gameplay.
A lot of running around in general, a lot.

In short the game makes you feel like a battered housewife enduring abuse while clinging on to "the good times". :mixedemotions:

hackncrazy

Savant
Sweet Jesus. The boss fight right before is hardcore, a big difficulty spike compared to everything before and much harder than in the original where Sa-ryan was pretty harmless. Those two are like Ren and Tlachtga on crack

Is there any non moon rune version available for this one?

j2alg

Educated

Is there any non moon rune version available for this one?
I'm afraid there isn't. It's honestly a miracle that Atlus localized the sequel out of the blue and I doubt it will be repeated anytime soon

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Finally played Anachronox, player beware:
Great writing, laugh-out-loud funny at times.
Pretty good music all through.
Decent controls combining regular third person navigation with 2D pointnclick interaction. Feels good once it clicks.
Interesting Fifth Element type story,
that ends on a huge "more questions-no resolution" cliffhanger

Sadly the gameplay is mostly a slog that drags on and on.
Combat quickly boils down to (another) annoying minigame of managing the speed-up button as to not give the enemy too many free turns. Itemization\level progression as good as non-existent.
Annoying minigames that require you to backtrack up and down the levels in order to get the correct partymember to activate them. "you got a healing potion".....again. Beurk.
Plot seems to move in lurching spurts thanks to the dragging please-no-more general gameplay.
A lot of running around in general, a lot.

In short the game makes you feel like a battered housewife enduring abuse while clinging on to "the good times". :mixedemotions:

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I'm playing NEO The World Ends With You.
TLDR: The game is fucking good. Play it.
Not going to talk about the story because i still not done with the game and like original TWEWY, the secret stuff is really important to understand the setting. TLDR; Reaper's game, battle to survive a week , mission each day , survive 7 days and win the game. Blah blah..

The characters and dialogues are something that can be very hit or miss depeding on what you like. It's very cheesy sometimes but there's a certain charm to it.
The main trio are tennagers and feel like tennagers , so that's good.

The Graphics aren't the most detailed but artystle carries hards. Everything works together, there's clear vision and the devs delivers in every stage. Cell-shading graphics looks good in battle, 2d comic style sprites are great, the few 3d cutscenes looks amazing and city literaly bends and twist while you're walking. Feel like playing Jet Set Radio.

3309ff1daeac70659c287b30d20c050dfc21af90.gifv

The gameplay. It's really adicting.

The gameplay has two parts:
Overworld exploration: Basic stuff, you can run , you have a Dash that gives you Groove meter if you time your dash with the music called Sound Surfing, you complete some fetch quests or kill X type of enemies , sometimes you need to complete a puzzle ,etc. Not amazing but it's good enough. There's also a Time Travel mechanic , sometimes is used really well and others not so much, at least is linked to Main character's devemploment.

Instead of normal armor or weapons , you fight with Pins and your armor are outfit/clothe/etc that each has a brand , a ability locked by a stat literaly called style and gives you Attack , Def or HP. Also there's a Skill three unlocked by doing side quest, ganing points and spend them, it's actually a good Skill three because most unlocks are super useful and change a lot the gameplay. There's barely any Increases +0.000002 here. It helps that most side quest are short and help build the world.

Combat: This game is sequel to 14 years old DS Action JRPG game . The World Ends With You was THE GAME that literaly used everything that DS had it. You played in both screen with two character, using D-pad on Top and with a Stylus making various motions on the lower screen, each pin was a motion or even had you scream to active them. It's was unique and good, you had to multi-task two characters, learning how to play with 4 characters (Neku and a new partner each week) . NEO uses a normal controller , so it's totally different but somehow they manage to capture the spirit of the original.

So far i've 5 pins slots, each one of them grant me control of one character, so basicily you're controling 5 characters at same time. The AI auto-dodge if you aren't controlling a character. And each pins has a input (PS4 input in this case).
Triangle- quick taps to attack at melee range , Y- quick taps but ranged attack, R1/L1- are holding and release , L2/R2 - Only hold. It translate to feeling like you're doing motion like the DS version and there's a lot varitation to your attacks. Sword, Lances, Energy Blasts, Throwing Boulders, Kicks, Fire vortex to lock the enemy down , etc

(A vid about the combat, looks easy here because still early game)

The game can be feel a bit button mashing at the start, but once you complete week 1, the game becomes VERY HARD and you have to actually time your attacks to get Drop The beat , a state where the enemy is vuneable and increase your Groove meter (aka special meter), so you can use Mashups and Killer remixes (basicly ultimate attacks). At one point you unlock a Sweet spot when you active Drop the beat, so the game becomes this weird Rhythm Based game to hit the enemy when the sweet spot is up. It's Great and fucking Chaotic later on all in all.

The Music is amazing , mix of Rock , Heavy metal , Pop , J-rock , J-pop , Rap etc and Soundsurfing stuff actually adds a extra ''Beat'' to the music.

Also a bit of Late game play

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Here's something from the bottom of the obscure SMT media pile: Giten Megami Tensei, a PC98/Windows game that aimed for the most lucrative of market segments, or "ero/guro".

Not translated of course, save for the manual. The soundtrack is pretty good, but other than that I'm not too sure what to make of this. Graphically it seems pretty run-of-the-mill for the system. The number of demons seems quite limited and they're out of the COMP rarely by the looks of it. Almost all of the female demons are half nude (based) and they don't shun the gore; see 6:04:00 for a prime example, but make sure your mom is not watching. It's a pretty stark tonal shift for the series and made by Atlus to boot.

In an alternate universe, Persona 5 was never made because Atlus found a cash cow in pixel tiddies and gore.

Combat is terrible and the beginning is incredibly boring. Thought about dropping it but just then some archdemons literally went :avatard:on Mary Sue waifu that wouldn't even let simp main character fukk her. Maybe I'll continue playing.

PSE2fbA.gif

xUGYmTc.gif

Roo8oCC.gif

inorSsW.gif

r0Ohubv.gif

Kex2aOF.gif

EK3qnXQ.gif

qagqrPf.gif

L4skGK5.gif

CKNrDz5.gif

I suppose now you have to go around, beat the archdemons and collect her body parts which would be a hilarious twist on the typical western rpg game quest for whatever number of McGuffins

j2alg

Educated
because of that thing where you level a doll from 1 over and over again?
Stop it, get some help

7h30n

Augur
I think I have a serious problem with these types of games, as I try to get all of the (super optional) bosses. Last time I had over 500 hours in a single player game was Disgaea
:0-13:

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Finished Zanki Zero. Didn't expect much from it at first since I'm not that big into real time DRPGs. It was grand. Absolutely superb. Took a while to beat too, somewhere around 112 hours.
The gameplay's rad. You can charge up your attacks and have the entire team blast the enemy at the same time. Guess you can recreate some Tom & Jerry moments by waiting around a corner ready to wallop some poor and unsuspecting monster. Characters age in this game and it isn't just cosmetic. Age affects their stats and abilities. For example children have an ability you can put points into that regenerates their health, so that's pretty useful to have. Their carry weight and health is also rather low, so you might not be able to have a group of kids in medieval armor wielding katanas or claymores running about the place bringing justice to the damned. Once they're adults they can use Cliones. Cliones are some parasite creatures that drop from destroying monster parts. You can attach those Cliones to your characters and gain access to powerful and useful abilities. Stuff like breaking down walls, spitting acid, healing the party etc. Dying in this game can be quite rewarding. Every time a character dies, it gets a bonus based on the way it died. So if one character dies from being impaled by a tentacle (there's quite a lot of tentacles in this game), it'll grow resilient to tentacle attacks and so on. The game has a lot of other neat features and mechanics. It's really unique.
The game's cast is superb. You have some real characters in this. Expect a lot of silly events, bizarre typically Japanese humour and a few surprises here and there. VN scenes are done using 3D characters, so it's all very lively and enjoyable.
Graphics are ok for the most part. My issue with them is the chromatic aberration and the game using FXAA for anti-aliasing. At first I thought this'd be a game that would give me nonstop headaches due to the visuals, but in the end I got used to it. You may want to use Reshade or force some other form of AA through your driver if you can't deal with the blurriness from FXAA. Anyway, aside from that, it looks good.
The game has a soundtrack. It's there. It's nothing to write home about unfortunately. It's does its job and that's about it. It just isn't the kind of soundtrack that I was listening to while not playing the game. Three or so tracks stood out for me a bit and the rest were just forgettable.
Now the story is a real experience. Great stuff. It gets real dark in some places. It's not too exaggerated so don't worry about that. It's just the right amount of dark and disturbing. It's not all doom and gloom though, thankfully. Also like how the game explains why the party heals its health when resting and why enemies respawn. Real nice.
Anyway, overall, this game's a blast. Worth playing if you're into DRPGs. Also Yuma best girl.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. :)

I am just getting so much JOY from playing Stranger Of Sword City Revisited. I know I posted about it already but i've made progress since then. It seems most of my gaming time right now is going to this game, it's just so good! I'm still in the Mausoleum of Forests but it really opens up when u do a quest there and defeat a certain Lineage Type with a "Key Item" drop. Basically it reveals secret paths in the forest that we can now explore, leading to much new area and stuff to do! It's just a brilliant game, I can't put it down at the moment.

Hope u guys are having fun with your games! Cheers. <3

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Anyway, overall, this game's a blast. Worth playing if you're into DRPGs. Also Yuma best girl.

I figured you would like the Danganronpa / 999 edgy anime vibes from it, that is why I recommended it in Shoutbox.
Nice to see that you liked it even more than I expected.
Good to know that the game is 100+ hours, I never finished it, but now I can evaluate how much of a time investment that would be.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://www.theiarpg.com/

i have been playing this RPG maker freeware for a while and it's honest impressive. it's a freeware so some of the assets are taken from other games (the music especially) but most of the art are original and the one that they reuse are well done.

the story is really cool and it has a great world building. they keep introducing new characters and 90% of them are surprisingly well fleshed-out and very likeable. the setting is cool, similar to FF VII with some cyberpunk/post apocalypse elements. i ended up really liking the story. there are some awkward pacing here and there especially early, but it end up being pretty awesome with ruthless villains clashing with the main characters and everyone has believable and strong motivation. the game isn't cheap with death too. there are quite a lot of death, but i don't feel the deaths are for the sake for being edgy. every deaths is a turning point in the plot and character development, status quo kept being broken, they don't feel cheap.

also coming from trails games where apparently almost nobody dies, the game really portray how lethal it is fighting with swords and guns and magics. in games like trails "oh yeah we are arch enemies, we duel with every inch of our might, the loser lives with just a scratch wound". in this game, it feels like really every encounters have weight. i mean they're fighting with lethal weapons, and almost no one comes out unscathed.

the combat use ATB, that is my only complain as i prefer real turn-based mode, but otherwise it use original battle system that is pretty fun. the UI can be confusing to track all the debuffs/buffs, the weapon system are fun. it use crafting but well done as forging new weapons require unique materials you get from sidequests/exploration. upgrading require common materials but they aren't grindy and you can just buy the materials as a money sink. it feels well balanced.

also the soundtrack uses a simple mp3 files so you can just build custom soundtracks if you don't like the music by simply downloading mp3 and renaming it.

Deflowerer

Arcane
The lands of Ariathale are suffering because of a terrible energetic crisis. It seems that the Risan Health society has discovered a misterious red crystal that could end this emergency. Join Seth and his companions, travel the ruined world of Ariathale and discover the mystery behind the enigmatic red crystal..

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The lands of Ariathale are suffering because of a terrible energetic crisis. It seems that the Risan Health society has discovered a misterious red crystal that could end this emergency. Join Seth and his companions, travel the ruined world of Ariathale and discover the mystery behind the enigmatic red crystal..
minor mistakes that is expected from a freeware. there are few I noticed too in game, but this is a person working on his own without editor whatsoever and it's fucking free and it's good. stop being a nitpicking pussy

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Finished Sorcery Saga Curse of the Great Curry God. Didn't know what to expect from it as I've never played a mystery dungeon game before. It was quite a ride. Very enjoyable, a tad annoying at times, but overall a good experience. Not that long a game unfortunately, only 39 hours to beat.
The game can be quite unforgiving at times. Dungeons and monsters have so many ways of screwing you over and taking away your items. Expect to be teleported to previous levels by traps, have your level reduced, your items cursed, have items from your inventory eaten by certain mobs, disarmed by axolotl samurais, hypnotized by cursed dolls that throw away your items and so on. Even your pet can do you ugly at times. It learns random abilities every three levels. One of them makes it automatically eat every single item it comes in contact with. That means it can eat your weapon and shield too if you're disarmed. Oh and forget about staying on a single level to farm experience. Not gonna happen. Tough enemies spawn after a while to ruin your day. Enemies that can disarm you. If you survive for too long, the floor will eventually collapse and kill you. It isn't all doom and gloom though, you can pretty much become a figurative demigod that can defeat literal gods with ease. You'll find out eventually that there are certain items that you simply can't do without. Obtain those items and upgrade them a bit and that's it, you've won the game. The game's optional dungeon after finishing the story is 256 levels long. It's quite something. Thankfully you also get a good deal of events in there, so it's cool.
Now then, the game's cast is the real deal. Every character is a boatload of fun. They're all so silly and outlandish. Just about every event is hilarious. It's great. Unfortunately this game doesn't use Live2D or any other similar software, so be ready to spend quite a bit of time looking at cardboard cutouts.
The graphics are alright. It's a PS Vita game, so don't expect anything outstanding. Not much to say here. Dungeons look decent enough and character models are pretty neat.
Ah man, the soundtrack. Amazing! Grand! Superb! It's a riot! It's the kind of soundtrack that'll always put a smile on your face. Listen for yourself.
Story's good fun too. The heroine is out on a quest to create the legendary magical curry and save her favorite curry restaurant from bankruptcy. Lots of entertaining shenanigans happen along the way and it's all a charming and lovely adventure.
So, yea, hilarious little game that can be pretty tough at times. A bit too easy to become incredibly overpowered, but ah well, it's good fun.

Thorakitai

Learned
Currently playing Persona 2: Innocent Sin and I can honestly say that the writing of both the story and characters are leagues above the recent Persona entries like 4 and 5 that have too much power of friendship anime crap.

As for the gameplay, If you played one Shin Megami Tensei game, you've essentially played them all. Still, this is one of the easier entries but I besides the high encounter rate, I don't see why people hate Persona 2's gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom