Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

dacencora

Glad to see some praise for Echoes. I really liked a lot of it, even if much of my commentary is negative towards it. I really like the weapons triangle, but yeah it’s still pretty okay without it. The Celica chapters were all pretty top-notch and the art style was great. I did not care much for the maps, but I loved the maps in FE11. The maps in FE12 seem excellent too, but I got filtered by that game on Lunatic lol. I think the main part of Echoes that I disliked was Alm as a character, as well as his army list and his maps, which were somewhat disappointing overall.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I5oAphC.png

"Acknowledge the games's agenda"
I honestly found out about this "feature" during my second playthrough, bursted out laughing. Playing the whole series again, the remake of the first one is really really good but most people that know 日本語 only talk about 2-2.

Post game in these games always remind me of Elminage Gothic, devs can go all out and throw bullshit at you because it's post game.

deuxhero

Arcane
Tried Prismatic Moon romhack for Pokemon Ultra Moon and cleared first island. (Ultra) Moon is way better when it isn't piss easy on purpose, though the endless cutscenes still kill it. I think the hack is too far on the side of hard so far, with bosses having very dangerous strategies. May get easier as I evolve my team and get better moves. Currently Ralts evo/Misdreavus//Lucario/Joltik/Fire Starter/Axew (last two is filler till I find something better)

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
flyingjohn The giant BLM banner on Penumbra dev's site when looking for a DL link.

Edit: Discovered part of my difficulty might be having abused the code to steal trainer's Pokemon, not realizing unimportant NPCs have Pokemon with all 0 IVs.

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
After all, this game gets a lot of BAWWW from reviewers, due to many reasons (copying of "ancient" mechanics, shitty maps, no weapon triangle, etc.)
It's a basic remake of 2, you already know that. All that really says is that the older ones were better designed while being old as shit, that's not really a good sign moreso than that whatever yes-men still left in Intelligent Systems aren't very good at innovating without making trash beyond painting over old products, along with that ugly-as-shit Advanced Wars port Wayforward is/was working on.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I honestly found out about this "feature" during my second playthrough, bursted out laughing. Playing the whole series again, the remake of the first one is really really good but most people that know 日本語 only talk about 2-2.

Post game in these games always remind me of Elminage Gothic, devs can go all out and throw bullshit at you because it's post game.

I'm still holding out hope 2-2 gets an English translation. I would call it copium, but if we can get the Genkai Tokki series, and Demon Gaze can reemerge from literal who status, more Dungeon Travelers is certainly within the realm of possibility.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck

I'm still holding out hope 2-2 gets an English translation. I would call it copium, but if we can get the Genkai Tokki series, and Demon Gaze can reemerge from literal who status, more Dungeon Travelers is certainly within the realm of possibility.
I literally learned runes to play 2-2, of course is not the only game i played but it was the main reason. Dungeon Travelers series is in a really weird place, three companies came together to make it a reality, Aquaplus owns the ip, Sting was in charge of the gameplay and Atlus was in charge of distribution and translation in the west. Atlus has become normalfag central, can you imagine them in charge of bringing the game to the west? Let's also not touch the effort itself to do that, Dungeon Travelers 2-2 is HUGE in many ways, dialogue, content etc.
TLDR
The changes and the efforts that would be needed to bring the game to the west and the probability of it being a huge scandal it's just not worth it. Vita was a niche console made for japanese game enthusiast but it's catalogue absolutetly would not fly today.
wgdyE5t.png

I managed to extract the text to translate it but it's Trails tier, it's just too much to do it alone and as a freelancer.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Just finished Dragon's Dogma again after 10 years or so, played Dark Arisen ps3 version on launch at the time. In this playthrough i clocked around 35 hours. Game has been talked to death so i will keep it short.

It's simply a must play, through the years i have read of many people that drop it in the first few hours and i honestly don't blame them, game has a lot of jank. Some notes i took of things i disliked while playing it.

*Day/night cicle it's too short, makes hunting for specific monster that lurk only at night or during the day very anoying taking into account that half the game you can't instantly teleport near the place you want to go.
*Short time for enemies to respawn, which makes exploring the world a fucking chore, Wolves hunt in packs arisen!
*Too many recycling of the same dungeons, i explored the catacombs three fucking times and i barely did side quests.

Despite those flaws and many other well known i still recommend it, very few games managed the "going on adventures" feel, always before parting somewhere far away i always had to remember to stock up on oil for the lantern, healing herbs, blasting arrows etc. The ending of the game is amazing and the battle with Grigori is probably one of my favourites of all time, it actually feels like you are fighting a dragon that it's more like a force of nature. The twist is amazing and i noticed some interesting sub text that i heard no one talk about but i will abstain.

Some pics i took, i will spoil it because some contain spoilers.
6L0wLuK.jpg

7ElGPtx.jpg

1qvnnCA.jpg

Yes you are a fucking whore.
xvlec4X.jpg

Normalize hurting woman.
ibufBIe.jpg

Lol
NJUDkcy.jpg

Sodoku yourself.
That's all, i will probably take a rest before deciding what to play next, this is the first game i actually finished since SMT V came out.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been just grinding and beating the optional bosses for Cachexia and better weapons in Last Remnant for like 20 hours by now. I finished all the side quests without realizing that it also enables the hardest version of the final boss, which just completely obliterated me when I first tried it :lol:

Alan

Novice
I don't think I'll be playing any more Chrono Trigger after beating
Magus

I don't know if it has to do with the JRPG design, the Japanese style of fiction, or too much playing on my part. But it suddenly dawned on me that this game was going nowhere, and that videogames aren't worth my time. Maybe tomorrow I'll change my mind. Not about Chrono Trigger though, because the same thing happened after playing FFVII for 12h, and never came back. Square devs were not as cool as they think

Neither Mario RPG or Earthbound had this problem. Those games had a bunch of cool things to say. Final fantasy and Chrono Trigger do not. I feel awful after the first act

Was thinking of starting Vagrant Story once I was finished with this. Fuck them. Now I need of something else to do

Square devs were not as cool as they think

How do you know what the devs thought? Or did you mean that Square wasn't as cool as the Western JRPG fandom thought? That really boils down to Square being the only JRPG developer to consistently get exposure in the West and build up a fandom. Hence why Square is remembered and Nihon Falcom was only known by extreme Japanophile PC nerds until very recently, despite both companies having started at the same time, having released just as many games, and having been just as influential in the Japanese games market.

Alan

Novice
Square devs were not as cool as they think

How do you know what the devs thought? Or did you mean that Square wasn't as cool as the Western JRPG fandom thought? That really boils down to Square being the only JRPG developer to consistently get exposure in the West and build up a fandom. Hence why Square is remembered and Nihon Falcom was only known by extreme Japanophile PC nerds until very recently, despite both companies having started at the same time, having released just as many games, and having been just as influential in the Japanese games market.

If I was the developer, I would think myself very cool before bloating my games like Square does. I would think that all my ideas are cool, and expand the game, and say that it works

I don't know anything about the things you just said, only know about what I played. The games have a lot of merit, about 14h worth. Enough to be popular

I'd say that 90s Square games were free of bloat, at least compared to what came during the 2000s. Square games used to be 10-20 hours long, 30 max. But then you reach FF12 and they start becoming 60 to 90+ hour long games, culminating in the monstrosity that is FFXIV which has an incredulous amount of padding (400+ hour long story, half of it is cutscenes, the characters take 5x as long as they should to make their point, and the game wastes your time with fluff like an 8 minute cutscene of watching a catboy eat a burger or watching moogles get drunk).

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I'd say that 90s Square games were free of bloat, at least compared to what came during the 2000s. Square games used to be 10-20 hours long, 30 max. But then you reach FF12 and they start becoming 60 to 90+ hour long games, culminating in the monstrosity that is FFXIV which has an incredulous amount of padding (400+ hour long story, half of it is cutscenes, the characters take 5x as long as they should to make their point, and the game wastes your time with fluff like an 8 minute cutscene of watching a catboy eat a burger or watching moogles get drunk).

I don't blame Square for that, it was because of the Cd-Rom invention, every single JRPG company went off the rails on padding. Persona, Grandia, Digimon World 2, Arc the lad 2, Legend of dragoon,Star Ocean Second Story etc are all above the 50hs mark, and let's not get into ps2 JRPGs. Giving so much disk space was a mistake, but i think they know they went too far, the remake of Dragon Quest VII for the 3ds took out a lot of the bloat.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Aegis Rim, 6 hours in. The plot intrigues me so much especially how it intertwines between all the characters, it's a total mindfuck with many different plot elements keeping it fresh and confusing.
The rts parts are alright, I'm playing on hard but so far I haven't seen any impossible scenarios, i like the burnout system tho.
I've read here that the game it's good and so far is delivering

Inviato dal mio A80S utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Funny that Yoko Taro before the game released called it out just looking at the game's cover.
MYWxDtL.jpg
Yoko Taro enjoys fucking with players so it doesn't really surprise me.
I wonder if there are other games that fuck with you as Aegis Rim and the Yoko Taro games do

Inviato dal mio A80S utilizzando Tapatalk

Viata

Arcane

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Has anyone anything to say about Tokyo Xanadu Ex+? Is it a worthy game in its own right or I'd better look for something else unless I'm a hardcore Falcom fan? Let's assume I'm willing to try to bear with mediocre story if the gameplay is good.

Has anyone anything to say about Tokyo Xanadu Ex+? Is it a worthy game in its own right or I'd better look for something else unless I'm a hardcore Falcom fan? Let's assume I'm willing to try to bear with mediocre story if the gameplay is good.

It's Trails of Cold Steel I, but set in Tokyo and with an action combat system. 7 chapters, first half of each chapter is running around the school and town talking to NPCs and catching up on their storylines and doing slice of life stuff. Second half of a chapter is somebody getting abducted into the demon realm and then running through a dungeon with an action combat system, climaxing in a boss battle. Power of friendship shenagains. Great music by Hayato Sonoda and Takahiro Unisuga.

I thought that the plot was weak and the setting was uninteresting, and the characters are weak, and I didn't like the combat very much, but I liked the TOCS1 format and the music. Not sure if I will replay it. Also note that TX was localized by not by XSEED who did the Trails games, but by Aksys, so there is no English voice acting and the script is rougher.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
It was alright in my opinion. Plot and characters and all that was mediocre to just plain bad, but I did get some enjoyment out of the combat on the higher difficulty levels. I think it depends mainly on whether or not the combat system itself and the time attack'y concept of the combat levels clicks for you or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom