Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rant on Worldbuilding and Classes

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I could sit here and write some long post explaining my thoughts on the matter, but instead I decided to shit out some random ramblings on this page.

It has become clear to me that the vast majority of Codexers are unbelievable faggots. I see this through the way that they roleplay, and the types of races/classes that they enjoy playing in their games. Everyone needs to be a special snowflake, playing their own specific class with their own specific backstory and brand of furry or metahuman. Looking at the hundred different classes and all these bullshit "exotic" races that are so popular now blows my mind. It's enough for me to lose any interest in any setting, regardless of how good the game could've been. You can't trust the average Codexer to differentiate a good setting from a bad one, and their tastes are only slightly above the lowest common denominator when it comes to such things.

Some other quick facts.

Fantasy worlds with a ton of different races in their setting is major decline. You get Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Half-Elves, Orcs, and if you really want to push it, gnomes or halflings, but not both.

Stop making magic so fucking prevalent in your settings. The less magic you have, the more special you make it, and there is honestly so much potential for awesome story lines based around this.

Having a hundred different classes that all occupy some very specific niche is major decline. BG and IWD did it right by having four class groups which branched off into 8 total classes. KotC also did a great job by only having three classes. The game system that you have should be what is responsible for creating build diversity. Don't make a new class numbnuts, add ways for each player to differentiate how they build their character, so if you want to play a monk for example you can do so, but you'd still be called a fighter. We see this in Underrail, which is a classless system, but manages to have tens of different ways you can build your character into something resembling a class.

If you're going to go through the trouble of having multiple different cities/factions in your setting, make sure everything makes sense. Shit like Megaton in FO3 is ultimate decline. In IWD, we see the farms that supply a village like Kuldahar with their food. We see the farms in BG that supply Nashkel their food. We see hydroponics systems in certain stations, with the rest of the food being supplied by Camp Hathor in Underrail. We see the farms supplying the towns with food in FO. This is just one worldbuilding aspect of the many that need to go into making your world believable, interesting, and engaging.

You can break some of these rules, but if you're going to do so, you better have a good reason for it, it better enhance your setting, and you better know what the fuck you are doing.

Humbaba

Arcane
I could sit here and write some long post explaining my thoughts on the matter, but instead I decided to shit out some random ramblings on this page.
Congratulations

It has become clear to me that the vast majority of Codexers are unbelievable faggots.
Does that include you or...?

Everyone needs to be a special snowflake, playing their own specific class with their own specific backstory and brand of furry or metahuman
"This is bad. No, I will not elaborate." - this guy

Fantasy worlds with a ton of different races in their setting is major decline. You get Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Half-Elves, Orcs, and if you really want to push it, gnomes or halflings, but not both.
Does that violate the Geneva convention or what's the issue here?

Stop making magic so fucking prevalent in your settings. The less magic you have, the more special you make it, and there is honestly so much potential for awesome story lines based around this.
>complain about everyone wanting everything to be special
>complain about magic not being special enough

Having a hundred different classes that all occupy some very specific niche is major decline. BG and IWD did it right by having four class groups which branched off into 8 total classes. KotC also did a great job by only having three classes. The game system that you have should be what is responsible for creating build diversity. Don't make a new class numbnuts, add ways for each player to differentiate how they build their character, so if you want to play a monk for example you can do so, but you'd still be called a fighter. We see this in Underrail, which is a classless system, but manages to have tens of different ways you can build your character into something resembling a class.
I sorta agree, because DnD style hybrids do tend to be a bit shit but hybrids in Wizardry for example are really good and I'm sure there are other systems where that's the case.

If you're going to go through the trouble of having multiple different cities/factions in your setting, make sure everything makes sense.
I don't think the world is ready for such a dangerous and revolutionary idea lmao.

You can break some of these rules, but if you're going to do so, you better have a good reason for it, it better enhance your setting, and you better know what the fuck you are doing.
Translation:
Everything I just said may not apply at all.
Why would you discredit your own thread like that? Especially since you called your points "facts" earlier.

:deathclaw:

Dodo1610

Arcane

I genuinely don't understand why blindly copying Tolkien is better than having more unique races like the TES Argonians with a lot more interesting lore attached to them than DND's boring Halflings.

Last edited:

MartinK

Learned
Races: Humans only
Classes: Poor (Lower, Middle) and Rich (Upper)
Magic: Only stage magic and schizo bullshit

What do I win?

Ysaye

Arbiter
So basically:

Class Options:
  • Fighter
  • Magic User
  • Cleric
  • (Maybe NPC elves can be multi-class Magic User / Fighters but there is level limit)

Race Options:
  • Human
  • (NPCs can be Elves and / or Dwarves in some settings)

Party Size:
  • Two characters + max two NPCs that can join

Spells
  • Have to find all spells via scrolls. Spells focused on damage are kept to a minimum (maybe Magic Missile, Fireball and Lightning only), with a greater emphasis on utility spells.

Shin

Cipher
It has become clear to me that the vast majority of Codexers are unbelievable faggots. I see this through the way that they roleplay, and the types of races/classes that they enjoy playing in their games. Everyone needs to be a special snowflake, playing their own specific class with their own specific backstory and brand of furry or metahuman.

to me it's evident that the only special snowflake here is you, since you just *had* to step into the spotlight with this useless thread. if you think that making a party of human fighters using longswords in each and every rpg satisfies your twisted construct of masculinity, go for it, but stop feigning outrage at the idea that rpg players like customizing their party

but sure, too much classes (like too much of anything) is too much. that's more of a UI/UX problem though imho

wishbonetail

Learned
If you're going to go through the trouble of having multiple different cities/factions in your setting, make sure everything makes sense. Shit like Megaton in FO3 is ultimate decline. In IWD, we see the farms that supply a village like Kuldahar with their food. We see the farms in BG that supply Nashkel their food. We see hydroponics systems in certain stations, with the rest of the food being supplied by Camp Hathor in Underrail. We see the farms supplying the towns with food in FO. This is just one worldbuilding aspect of the many that need to go into making your world believable, interesting, and engaging.
Whoa, whoa, easy there. Megaton has that one brahmin, which provides milk and meat for the whole settlement. His meat regenerates due to a close proximity to radioactive source, duh.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Obviously we're more talking about setting here. That you first need to learn to make a world at least with humans and 3 classes, before you try to shove every other shit in your game.

it is ironic that an action game Diablo, I think, is still one of the best examples of less is more. The story is around simple concept and location. It's just humans from different places and cultures with their own set of skills. and in D1, magic has to be learned by same rules by everyone.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
no. tielfing are NOT gay.
xlweCoG.jpg

they're cool and hawt.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
TL:DR OP is a such boring person - a primitive factory conveyor capable shit out more original ideas than his damaged mind. Before insult anyone for picking "wrong" race to roleplay OP should mind his reflection in mirror - now that's what I call offense towards nature and humanity.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
It's like that thing with women wanting to be special by virtue of beeing special, contrasted to men beeing special by virtue of performing exceptional deeds. The passive vs the active and so on.

It's no surprise then that since we have alot of faggots around here, who are essentially men who act like women, BEEING SPECIAL has become increasingly important in RPGs.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Everyone needs to be a special snowflake, playing their own specific class with their own specific backstory and brand of furry or metahuman
"This is bad. No, I will not elaborate." - this guy
It's bad because when everything in your world is fantastical and extraordinary, nothing is special. Take a look at the Aasimar race as an example. They're often characterized as being taller and more beautiful than humans. In many settings they are the progeny of gods or otherworldly beings, and have uncommonly long lifespans. This is literally the textbook example of a special snowflake race that adds nothing to the setting the vast majority of the time, and solely servers as a vehicle in which neckbeards can further escape from the drudgery of their terrible lives.

The same thing applies to classes. It's not enough to be a fighter anymore. Everyone has to be a super holly blessed death knight of awesomeness, with five different powers that give you the advantage of the dude standing across from you with a sword. How about instead of selecting a class at the start of your playthrough, you instead have to go through a long quest chain, where you delve deep into some sort of heretical religion that is intertwined with a universes god of death. You start off as innocently curious, but this curiosity leads to you committing heinous deeds, all in the name for this incomprehensible entity that you are devoting your soul too. At the end of it, the transformation is complete, and you are blessed/cursed by this malevolent entity, and the a death knight is born. Anyone with half a brain could see the potential something like this has, and it truly adds to the scope and magnitude of such a thing.

The point of my statement is that most games are the opposite of good story telling. There is a reason why video game writing is so many levels worse than actual literature, and it has nothing to do with the medium. It's because the audience for video games is degenerate and of lesser intelligence, and they actively want to consume an inferior world/story/product.
Does that violate the Geneva convention or what's the issue here?
Any time someone is thinking about adding a race to their setting/game, they should ask themselves, "Do I need to make an entirely new race so that this story I'm trying to tell and this world I'm trying to build can function? Or, can I accomplish the same purpose with humans?" The vast majority of races are just superficial reskins of humans, and are entirely unnecessary. There are exceptions of course, but that doesn't invalidate my point that unless you have a specific reason for including a new race, it shouldn't be added to the setting.
>complain about everyone wanting everything to be special
>complain about magic not being special enough
You fucking idiot, the whole reason I'm shitting on everyone wanting to be a special snowflake is that it turns everything mundane and ordinary. The idea of Magic is as special as it gets, but in a universe where everyone and their mother can throw fireballs. what's the point? Dogshit poster acting like they got some sort of a gotcha moment.
Why would you discredit your own thread like that? Especially since you called your points "facts" earlier.
I'm not discrediting it you mongoloid. There are exceptional writers and designers who can break these rules, but doing so requires a full understanding of why these rules are in place, as well as how and when you can break them. The fact is, the vast majority of game/setting concepts would not benefit from breaking these rules however, and would face much improvement if they followed these rules.
It has become clear to me that the vast majority of Codexers are unbelievable faggots. I see this through the way that they roleplay, and the types of races/classes that they enjoy playing in their games. Everyone needs to be a special snowflake, playing their own specific class with their own specific backstory and brand of furry or metahuman.

to me it's evident that the only special snowflake here is you, since you just *had* to step into the spotlight with this useless thread. if you think that making a party of human fighters using longswords in each and every rpg satisfies your twisted construct of masculinity, go for it, but stop feigning outrage at the idea that rpg players like customizing their party

but sure, too much classes (like too much of anything) is too much. that's more of a UI/UX problem though imho
You sound like a faggot. RPG players are low IQ subhumans who play video games to cope with their shit existences. If they were intelligent people, they wouldn't be playing RPGs, hence the need for "party customization". RPG players don't care about good story telling and world building, and it's clear that you fall into this category. It's fine, go play your half-elf half dragon Archmage that can shoot lightning bolts out of his ass.
TL:DR OP is a such boring person - a primitive factory conveyor capable shit out more original ideas than his damaged mind. Before insult anyone for picking "wrong" race to roleplay OP should mind his reflection in mirror - now that's what I call offense towards nature and humanity.
Sounds like major cope. I look in the mirror and I see a jacked and tan gigachad. What do you see that you have to larp as a furry faggot in your free time to cope with your subpar existence. Also, not what I said.

Generic-Giant-Spider

How to tell if you're a CHAD in roleplaying gaming.

When selecting a race, you...

Choose the Halfling/Gnome because you're cute and whimsical. Ayaya.
Choose the Elf because you love bows, high cheekbones and hairlines.
Choose the Dwarf because you equate facial hair with manliness.
Choose the Half-Orc because you have a rapebaby fetish.
Choose the Tiefling because you're outrageously homosexual and will likely commission pictures of your cringe.
Choose the Dragonborn/any other nu-shit here because you need to feel some measure of control in your life.
Choose the Human because you don't give a shit and just want to get on with this stupidity.

When selecting a class, you...

Choose the Druid because you love animals so much you wish you were one and are banned from every animal shelter in the county.
Choose the Barbarian because you equate hyper gay S&M fashion with manliness.
Choose the Bard because you just want to storyfag all sessions and sing the blues.
Choose the Cleric because you're a good girl and a greater healer.
Choose the Monk because you get empowered by everyone else rolling their eyes at you.
Choose the Ranger because you're a bad girl that is going to annoy people with many stupid questions.
Choose the Paladin because it sounds like a great idea until...
Choose the Rogue because you want to perpetually annoy the Paladin.
Choose the Wizard because you need to know what power feels like.
Choose the Sorcerer because you need to know what gay sex feels like.
Choose the Fighter because you can't be bothered reading all this geeky garbage, looked for the guy that most resembled a knight and just want to slay some dragons and shit.

If you chose the last option on both you're a chad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom