Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Dodo1610

Arcane
Seriously that was the most impressive trailer of this showcase. The sheer amount of particles and the jumping between world would have simply been impossible before on consoles.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Shame the game is boring as fuck. A hd collection of the ps3 games would be amazing considering how annoying the games are to run on RPCS3.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
Seems like one of the quirky "mascot" games that were much more prevalent in the earlier console generations (PS1 - PS3).

lightbane

Arcane
What about the first games? Didn't the first one get a remake? Although the question is how optimized will this one be (or better said, how unoptimized it will be).

flyingjohn

Arcane
Weird decision to skip the remake and go for Rift Apart first.
Sony is only acknowledging this gen as the only gen worth it to make any ports to. They had a big presentation to shareholders on how this is the future.
What about the first games?
PS2/PSP games are playable on emu. PS3 is a nightmare to emulate. Sony will never port them because of the reason posted above.
Didn't the first one get a remake?
Yes and it was quite boring and worse then the original.
Although the question is how optimized will this one be (or better said, how unoptimized it will be).
That depends on will they use directstorage. If they don't,expect loading and stutters,if they do expect win 11 and nvme requirements.

beardalaxy

Novice
The first game's remake is a remake, but it's also a retelling in the eyes of Quark. A lot of original fans didn't like it that much, or saw it highly unnecessary. So, it makes sense that they would decide to port this one instead. Rift Apart isn't even a sequel to the remake, it's a sequel to the last game that was on PS3.

Nixxes is handling the port, and they have done a great job on other things such as Spider-Man, which is also from Insomniac Games and presumably uses the same engine. I don't think it will have any issues. Digital Foundry did some tests on the game with slowing down a drive on PS5 by blocking some of its pins and found that the loading times were still nearly instant, there was just a bit of a flash in between realm switching to cover up asset pop-in as a backup in case something went wrong. I think that, especially with Direct Storage, the game will run just fine. If anything there will be some hitches when going in between realms, if you're on something like a 5400 RPM hard disk, but that's hardly a strange sight these days even on the high end of hardware.

As someone who never played Ratchet and Clank before the PS4 remake, I really loved that game. I recently got the chance to play Rift Apart on my friend's PS5 and it was perhaps the greatest example of post-game depression I have ever experienced. It was lovely. A great callback to when games were actually just games instead of needing to slip in political messages or purposefully make games that aren't meant to be fun. It feels very classic in its structure, but modern in terms of gameplay and features. The combat is a lot of fun and the characters are all very endearing. I had a blast playing it and I'm excited to get it on PC when it launches so I can get that 100% completion!

ADL

Prophet
Seems like Nixxes did an incredible job as always. Runs pretty well on SSDs but clearly built for NVMe.

I'll buy it on a sale. I'm sure it's great but I'm already in the middle of too many different games right now.

beardalaxy

Novice
Been playing the PC version. I have a 2080 Ti, i5 10600K, 16GB 2666MHz DDR4. 550 MB/s SATA SSD. High settings with the exception of Ray Traced Reflections on Very High, not using RT shadows, 1080p (no DLSS).

My performance is around 70 FPS, never drops below 60. Going through rifts during cutscenes, like in the beginning of the game, causes the game to stutter and have Ratchet floating around mid-rift for a little bit. It's not something that gets in the way of gameplay though, and I know I'm not using the preferred drive for it, so I'm not very bothered by it.

What I am bothered by is all of the graphic artifacting/glitches while using Ray Tracing settings. I had to use Very High RT because the High setting had some horrible blocking, like something you'd see in a heavily compressed video. Reflections in water flicker on and off depending on camera position/movement. I haven't used the RT Shadows but I've seen them used in that DF video and it's in a pretty poor state.

I do have to say, I really like DLAA. It is what I have been waiting for in an anti-aliasing solution for a long time. Ever since MSAA stopped being used, all of the AA settings tend to aggravate me. They all look either too blurry or too shimmery, but this DLAA looks insanely good. I obviously can't compare it to MSAA without it being in the game as well, but it does look very close to not using AA at all, with smoother edges. I'm hoping more devs add this in the future!

I would suggest that, until it gets patched, to not use any ray tracing features. I'm using RT Reflections just because I have already played the game before on PS5 and so this isn't exactly my first impression of the game... it's something I can overlook easy enough. If you're trying to get a stable graphics experience though, just don't use them until the game is updated to fix these issues.

lightbane

Arcane
I miss Jak and Daxter, but I don't want to know what would Naughty Dog do to the duo nowadays.
R&C I was not much of a fan, and there's dozens of them. I wonder if all of these will be ported to the PC as well.

Caim

Arcane
Still coming to terms with the fact that they put a fucking Ratchet & Clank game on the PC. I played all the PS2 and PS3 ones minus All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault, so seeing this on the PC is fucking unreal.

Hagashager

Educated
I miss Jak and Daxter, but I don't want to know what would Naughty Dog do to the duo nowadays.
R&C I was not much of a fan, and there's dozens of them. I wonder if all of these will be ported to the PC as well.
A Jak and Daxter reboot would be a far clunkier, far dumber Last of Us. TLOUS began development as Jak IV, but the dev team asked ND's management if it was really necessary to make it a J&D game. Management said no, so the team binned the duo- never to see the light of day.

I believe it was Mark Cerny who said he had mixed opinions on J&D. Sony changed so much of the characters and world that by the finished product it wasn't ND's creation. Their passion sapped out of it. The edgy Jak II reboot was apparentky a partial "Fuck You" to Sony for having made them redesign so much.

R&C on PC is surreal, but also confirms my suspicion that consoles are well and truly dying. It all makes its way back to PC eventually.

Caim

Arcane
Game's smooth as butter. The changes to controls will take a bit to get used to, and I still out of reflex try to forward long jump to make some speed, so the running will be a bit of a hassle to deal with. A shitload of control and accessability options, so this is not some sort of half-assed port. Will play more over the weekend.

ADL

Prophet
Literally any publisher out there could've bought Nixxes for PC porting duties but I'm glad it was Sony. They might not have a catalog I'm particularly interested in but at least the Playstation division realizes what they bring to the table and they've been given the time to do these Insomniac games justice. Haven't seen anyone say anything bad about their ports of Spider-Man 2018, Miles Morales or this one.

Now go port Demon's Souls (remake), Ghost of Tsushima and the Gravity Rush series damn it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom