Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Rate your Final Fantasy

Duraframe300

Arcane
Mine (Mainline only. Tactics would be God Tier though)(Exception is FFII which is a *It's complicated* thing with me.)

God Tier

Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VI

Top Tier

Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII-2

Mid Tier

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy X + X-2
Final Fantasy XIII + Lightning Returns

Low Tier

Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VII

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy VIII

Edit: Lightning Returns may end up on a higher tier though. The more you play that game, the more it grows on you.

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
God Tier

Final Fantasy VI

Top Tier

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII

Mid Tier

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy IV

Low Tier

Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy XIII

Haven't played the rest

zwanzig_zwoelf

I didn't play much of Final Fantasy games, usually dropped them a couple of hours in, so:

God Tier

None

Top Tier

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VIII

Mid Tier

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest

Low Tier

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VII

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy Adventure

Tehdagah

Arcane
I'm not counting remakes:

God Tier

Final Fantasy VI

Top Tier

Final Fantasy V (would be God-tier with a less generic... everything)
Final Fantasy X (would be God-tier with a skippable cut-scenes option)

Mid Tier

Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy XII

-----/-----
Final Fantasy VIII is somewhere between Top-tier and Mid-tier. The combat system today isn't as fun as before.

I didn't played FFXIII yet. Played just a bit of X-2, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, so I can't say too much.

The GBA remake of FFI is kinda decent. The game isn't an awful repetitive grind-fest anymore.

Declinator

Arbiter
Low Tier

Final Fantasy VI

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IV

Haven't played any of the others because these were supposed to be some of the best and they really just weren't good enough.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How I honestly feel, all pretensions or attempts at objectivity aside?

God Tier

Final Fantasy VI

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII

If we're including spin offs, you can tag them under Shit Tier as well.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I've included the ones I've played or read/watched LPs of:
Top Tier
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX

Mid Tier
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XII

Low Tier
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

Shit Tier
Final Fantasy XIII

Sub-Shit Tier
Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - This one demanded the creation of a new tier, because it really is that bad. It makes XIII look like a fucking masterpiece. Read this LP if you want to be amazed.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
God Tier

Final Fantasy Tactics

Top Tier

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII

Mid Tier

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy XII - could have easily been higher if only Vaan didn't exist and a few other ideas were better realized.

Low Tier

What the fuck just happened Tier

Final Fantasy X - 2

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
God Tier

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI

Top Tier

Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy IX

Mid Tier

Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VII

Low Tier

Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2 (Battle system saves both X's from shit-tier.)

Shit Tier

Final Fantasy XIII

I Don't Fuckin' Know Tier

Final Fantasy XII (My opinion on it changes drastically from day to day.)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
God Tier
FF6/FF3 US
FFT

Top Tier
FF1 (For its time)

Shit Tier
Everything else

Ninjerk

Arcane
God Tier
nothing

Top Tier
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX

Middle Tier
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII

Haven't played enough of the rest to really form an opinion on them.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good Tier
FFVI
Tactics
FFV

OK Tier
FFIII
FFVII
FFI

Games I Got Bored Before Finishing Tier
FFIX
FFXII

Games I Regret Playing Tier
FFII
FFVIII
FFX

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
God:
Final Fantasy TheGoodOneForSNES.

There were two: FF2 US and FF3 US. So go ahead and pick one.

Medium Size Burger:

Final Fantasy VII

Can't remember the others...

You really should play FFT.

I think the one I played was FF3, it was pretty awesome.
I'll look around for FFT.

FF3 US = FF6. So you made the correct choice.

I'm not sure how good the FFT PS Vita port is. Stick with the PS1 experience.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It looks like "What are you favorite FF games?" is the JRPG Codex equivalent of "What is an RPG?"

Anyway, none of the FFs except FFT and maaaybe FFX-2 (if it wasn't so retarded) are what I'd consider a great JRPG. They're too restrictive, have almost zero side quests/side plots, too little proper secrets and exploration, no alternative routes/C&C, etc. Or at least that's the way I remember them. See SaGa Frontier (or was it SF 2?) for a superior FF game.

Great Tier

FFT

Good Tier

FF V
FF IX
FF X-2
FF: 4 Heroes of Light
Bravely Default (if I may)

Mid Tier

FF X
FF XII

Low Tier

FF VII
FF VIII

The rest I either don't remember or haven't played. I really need to replay VI, but I just couldn't get into it every time I tried.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here are my opinions.

God Tier
Final Fantasy VI. The series blended serious moments with comedic moments and still didn't feel out of place. The battle system might have been broken with the whole evade bug, but i still enjoyed everything else about the game. Many characters, yet I felt that I liked most of them. None of them felt useless in battle. The soundtrack is amazing and the opening set the mood right from the beginning. And there's Kefka. He'd blend in perfectly on these boards.
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. Despite being totally unbalanced at some points and having level scaling random encounters, this is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't know how many times I have played both the PS1 and PSP versions. I guess I just love tinkering with the job systems and abilities. The story is also one of the better in the series. That might not be an amazing accomplishment, but it is true, nevertheless.
Final Fantasy IX. Let me start with the low point for me. The slow battle transitions. They kill me every time I play the game. I am also not a big fan of how Trance worked. It was annoying when your character got hit in a battle before a boss fight and the Trance had to be used up. Other than that, I guess the final boss was a bit of a letdown. Still, I loved the game. Again, just like Final Fantasy VI, comedy and tragedy both fit into the game. In general, I just loved the tone of the game.

Top Tier
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. Liked this for the same reasons as FFT: TWotL minus the great story. The game was also perfect for making commuting less boring. Played a lot of it in bed, too.
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Liked this for the same reasons as FFT: TWotL minus the great story. The game was also perfect for making commuting less boring. Played a lot of it in bed, too.
Final Fantasy XII. Some people might not like the game, but I enjoyed it a lot. Have over 200 hours spent on different playthroughs. It's a damn shame we never got the International Zodiac Job System over here. A lot of people complain about the gambits and how they can set up one set of gambits and complete the whole game that way. That may work if you grind for hours, but not if you go through the game without grinding. It was the most challenging game in the series when you didn't power level your party. In many fights, I cam out as the victor with only a character near death as a survivor. I remember one fight where the only character I had left was poisoned and had about 100 HP. Sure, dungeons were longer than necessary and some characters shouldn't even have existed. Still, there was so much I liked about the game, that those things did not ruin the experience.
Final Fantasy X. It shouldn't be in the top tier when I think about it. It has so many things I think needed fixing, but I can't help myself. Every time I start this, I get addicted by the battle system. I have to fill the sphere grid and it has actual turn-based combat. being able to switch characters at will is also something I liked.
Final Fantasy: Type-0. Playing this on PPSSPP and it looks great. Managed to get it working with a DualShock 3 because I got cramps playing on the PSP. The combat is action based. I do prefer turn-based but the action based combat does work, I suppose. It's an evolution of the Crisis Core combat system. I haven't played much, so this game might actually change tier depending on how things go. I have stopped playing for now, in anticipation for the fan translation. What i did play so far, has been fun. You control three at a time, if one of them dies, you can call in a reserve character. You can also change your controlled party leader at any time. The Killsight system makes the game a bit repetitive and the strategy game missions aren't the best, but I can lie through that. Music is top notch and (Japanese) voice acting sounds good to me. Can't comment on the story as I don't know what is going on half the time.

Mid Tier
Final Fantasy VII. This one is somewhere in the middle of top tier and mid tier. There are many things I like about it, but there are many plot holes and the game hasn't aged well. At least not the character models while exploring. Translation was also a problem. The game has a great soundtrack, materia system is kind of fun to tinker with, mini games, atmosphere is great and it also has the best victory theme in the series.
Final Fantasy V. The story and characters are fairly forgettable. I play this for the job system. I remember beating the final boss without him getting a single hit on my party.
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. had this been a console game, I would have put this in the low tier. The game has great music and the formula works for a portable device with missions being fairly short.
Final Fantasy XIV Beta. I played A Realm Reborn on both PS3 and PC. I don't play MMOs anymore (not that I actually invested much time in any of them), but had to try this out. It was fun playing with a friend and it actually felt like a Final Fantasy game. It was way better than all the FFXIII games we've gotten this generation.

Low Tier
Final Fantasy XIII. Biggest disappointment after FFXII. FFXII offered a big open world with great voice acting and mostly interesting characters. I was hyped for this, more than I should. We all know what the result was corridors and crap dialog and writing. The reason it doesn't go into the shit tier is because of the music and graphics in some places. And some of the hunts were fun.
Final Fantasy VIII. It had some good things about it, but it has one of the least enjoyable stories in the series. Also, it has more plot holes than any other game in the series.
Final Fantasy I. I have replayed this once or twice. It isn't terrible or great, it just feels basic.
Final Fantasy II. I haven't played this in over a decade, so i don't remember much. However, I do remember trying to force myself to finish it.
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Demo. Yes, I only played the demo, but it was enough for me to decide against buying the full game. I'm not one that hangs himself up on graphics, but the game felt like it was all over the place both from a design point of view and a technical mess. battle system seemed decent and gave me Valkyrie Profile vibes.

Shit Tier
Final Fantasy IV. Grind, grind, grind. Crappy sotry and everyone dies just to come back at a later point.
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Wtf is this shit?
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Demo. Only played the demo, but I can't stand serah. Plus, they removed some of the abilities like Haste and some other stuff. Game was too streamlined and easy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Final Fantasy XIII-2 Demo. Only played the demo, but I can't stand serah. Plus, they removed some of the abilities like Haste and some other stuff. Game was too streamlined and easy.
You should really give it a serious try. I don't know how far the demo goes, but it takes a while for the really start, with capturing pokemons and messing with the timelines.

Duraframe300

Arcane
You should really give it a serious try. I don't know how far the demo goes, but it takes a while for the really start, with capturing pokemons and messing with the timelines.

Its just the ruins after the intro.

Lightning Returns is a really weird game to like. The more you get into it the better it is. With the first experience always being sucky just because of how differently you have to aporoach it compared to your typical FF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom