Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Raw numbers for PoE's dialogue checks

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Bubbles, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Here are the numbers for all dialogue/text adventure checks made in the game, determined by searching the .conversation files with grep. About 40% of them are redundant with another check (like some background checks offering an alternate Lore check).

Mind you, the dialogue unlocked by these checks could still be shit.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 20
    ^ Top  
  2. SausageInYourFace Angelic Reinforcement Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Cipher gets 17 checks and all other classes barely a handful? Mh.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Nice list.

Seems I unwittingly played the most stat-checked route, heh.

^ Top  
  4. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Boosted by all the occasions where you can replace GM if you are Cipher yourself. So not really that big a difference.

But quite clearly shows how much more potential that one class has compared to everything else.

^ Top  
  5. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Male dwarf liberal arts student with focus on constitution and stealth - my idea for a new character. So I can replay the game with minimal exposure to it's exceptional writing; which - as we all know (except Irenaeus) - is average.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  6. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat
    :negative:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 36
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jools Eater of Apples Patron

Jools
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I went dwarf paladin... Well played, Obsidian, you fucking ableist cis-het racist patriarcal privileged neckbeard shitlords. I'm taking this up to Aneeta! :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  8. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    :balance:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Stompa Arcane

Stompa
    Must've missed 2 of those somehow. From what I remember there were Bleak Walker-specific dialogue options with Raedric and lionesses's supporter in the Maw, and reactions from those assholes near the dragon's egg and the head priest in Ethik Mol or whatever the fuck that place with sacrifices in Twin Elms was called. Can't recall if the assassin party in Stormwall Gorge checked for BW.

Surprisingly those I've rarely seen, given just how much mercenary work there is in the game. Aside from the one at the start of the game, there was a check with that noble in Dyrford, Iovara at the end of the game and maybe with Kolsc. Either the rest were so banalshitboring I can't remember them or I must've picked some wrong choices, but I'm sure I haven't seen mercenary-only dialogue options, only reactions from NPCs.

^ Top  
  10. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    Most of them are either shit, or cringe-worthy shit. (i.e. Philosopher )

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Brzęczyszczykiewicz Arcane

Brzęczyszczykiewicz
    Project: Eternity
    Any examples?

^ Top  
  12. Wulfstand Prophet

Wulfstand
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    I don't remember seeing a single rogue check during my playthrough, and I thought I was very thorough. I think I got most if not all of the background checks (Old Vailia - Dissident) as well.

^ Top  
  14. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Here are the Rogue checks:

Show Spoiler
    To Irensi: "Perhaps Sul hides behind the perils of the Maw because she's forgotten how to navigate them." (for Ranger or Rogue)

To Durance: ""When you departed for Halgot Citadel to strike at Eothas, you traveled so no one could recognize you, correct?"" if you are a Rogue or have Int >15

And one with Grieving Mother for Chanters or Rogues that looks like cut content :argh: The entire .conversation file does not have a corresponding .stringtable file (for dialogue text), but there's a "02" version of the conversation file that doesn't include the rogue/chanter check anymore.

The only companions whose dialogue has "v2" or "02" tags are Durance and Grieving Mother - I'm assuming the version change was due to Avellone's cut content. Grieving Mother has a huge conversation file with Durance (companion_cv_gm_durance.conversation) containing over 100 pieces of inter-companion dialogue that reference non-existing text files. They must have cut a ton of MCA's stuff.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Read all about it here: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78683-cut-content-durance-and-grieving-mother/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Carrion Arcane Patron

Carrion
    Thanks. I think the second one was displayed as an INT check for me, which is what I suspected. Maybe I just forgot about the first one.

^ Top  
  17. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    :( That's the one I chose in my first playthrough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dragoon Educated

Dragoon
    Great list. I love you Bubbles.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    Did a quick pass to remove the checks from the unused GM conversation files from the list. Cipher haters will be happy to hear that they lost 5 unused checks!

Also lost one of each for Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, Chanter, Wizard, Magran and Intellect. MCA really loved his class checks.

^ Top  
  20. DosBuster Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Codex USB, 2014
    Fuck man GM and Durance pre-cut sounded so dark and interesting, why did they decide to go ahead and cut that out?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    Because it wouldnt appeal to target audience ( 12 year old steam users )

^ Top  
  22. roshan Arcane

roshan
    I guess it was just too fun and/or grognardy.

^ Top  
  23. Bubbles I'm forever blowing

Self-Ejected
    I forgot about the Disposition checks. They're mostly well balanced, but three are checked significantly more often than the others:

If you care about the best role playing experience, an Aggressively Benevolently Cruel character is the way to go.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Atchodas Augur

Atchodas
    Cruel , Clever , Deceptive , Aggressive my personal choice for every playtrough, except the first one where i thought that different answers in dialogue bare different results oh how naive i was :D

Also when you are Deceptive and do quests for god of Lies and Secrets ( Wael ) you get punished for your disposition and get no quest reward LOL WUT :D i mean cmon , this is not primary school dont punish me for lie-ing when i said the truth for first time ever in the game

^ Top  
  25. Shevek Arcane

Shevek
    How man times have you played through this game you hate so much?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.