Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rayman fan re imagining released

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Doesn't look too bad. Some of those new tilesets are interesting. I never got far in Rayman.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Doesn't look too bad. Some of those new tilesets are interesting. I never got far in Rayman.

I read somewhere that the game wasn't betatested before release. That would explain the tile-perfect platforming of the late game.

I 100% Rayman 2 years ago and I don't think I will want to torture myself again. But maybe I will try this thing.

Shinji

Savant
The first one was the most unique of the series.
Too bad Ubisoft decided to make a reboot with a different tone and style.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I kinda preferred Ristar to Rayman, it came out the same year and got somewhat unnoticed. I found its character design a lot more charming and entertaining.

catfood

AGAIN
I have played this game for a bit and I like the changes. First of all there is a casual mode which gives you infinite lives. If you value the hair on your head you are going to pick this difficulty setting and tell the autists to go suck horse cock if they don't like it.

There are a lot of changes. Some of them might have to do with the difficulty setting, idk. For one, having a higher resolution and the game being in 16:9 means that you have a bigger viewing distance, which in turn allows you to easier see threats from afar and dodge them. This was a huge problem in the original where the camera was zoomed in very closely to your character and you needed to have lightning reflexes to be able to dodge threats.

Enemies no longer respawn, or at least I haven't noticed any respawning.

When enemies hit you you're no longer pushed back a screen away, thus resulting in your death. The push is significantly smaller so the chances of falling to your death are also lower.

You start with all the powerups present in the original but you still need to revisit old levels because there are still paths that are initially inaccessible to you.

The levels are all tweaked so they feel fresh. This also goes for the bosses. I have fought Mosquito and the battle plays out differently. He has more attack types and patterns.

Overall I like this version very much, not as much as Origins and Legends, but it's still a better experience than the original.

Reality

Learned
My problems with Rayman 1

1: Hitting short enemies on a flat plane - if you let the "press start" screen loop long enough you'll see that the intended way to hit super short enemies like the darktoon is apparently to charge your fist so it goes further, then to walk close in front of them and crouch so that when it slingshots back it will angle down. You absolutely cannot angle the intial "outward" part of the shot or shoot while crouched to begin with.

2: Game uses secrets of entering ummarked tiles to spawn in several of the cages and lvl exit signs throughout the game.... this is approiate for a puzzle game like Solomon's Key or Adventure's of Lolo, which have confined "single screen" level with a fixed number of tiles.. but using it for mandatory collectables in a 2d platformer leaves a very bad taste.

3: Platforming too precise … especially noticeable in music land. Anyone can muddle through Rayman (worst case scenario you can farm lives in a bonus level), but it should have had QA.

It has a somewhat mixed identity with some metroidvania design in certain spots (grappling hooks show up 2 whole worlds before you get them, encouraging revisit for the last 1-2 cages in some levels) but the rest of the time it lets you beat levels in the first try, or has a full level gimmick stage as a change of pace.

Rayman 2 was my favorite game for several years, so I felt obligated to play through the original at some point... it does have the bouncy visuals (landscapes made up of giant sized household objects and other surreal-ish stuff) and music of Origins/Legends that are "missing" in the grounded woodland/temples of Rayman 2, so I feel like they are the highlight of the game.. they just don't make actually playing through it fun.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
So it's basically an easier version of the first game? Lame. It isn't that hard, just git gud. Finished a replay last year and had a blast, and the only cheat I used was the one that unlocks all of Rayman's powers from the start. Ridiculous how a lot of people seem to think you need 99 lives to win this game.

Enemies no longer respawn, or at least I haven't noticed any respawning.

Lame. You're not going to be kept on your toes with changes like this.

(Edit: Wow, should've looked at the trailer, this does look cool. Maybe I'll give this a try later.)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom