Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ready Or Not - edgy tactical SWAT FPS with school shooting level

Ghulgothas

Arcane

Proofof-Steam.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Eh, I don't feel like legitimizing Kotaku of all places with an official response is a good idea.

At most, probably something like "lol people read Kotaku?" will suffice. But I'm sure this is better for optics.

Some game journos are a parasitic burden on the games industry, and offer nothing of value.

MiguelSerranoFan

Educated
I have no idea why the Void even bothered replying or doing anything for Kotaku. Nobody who plays Ready or Not reads Kotaku. Nobody reads Kotaku in general, all information about video games is conveyed to zoomers by YouTube video essays, of which all have been glowingly positive regarding the game. Ready or Not is still the top selling game on Steam in the U.S. Who makes decisions like these? Why would you cave on this and not a school shooting level?

Unlike the rest of you, I do actually agree with the journalist maggot that this is obviously not a game made by leftists. You wouldn't even think about developing a police game in this political climate if you were. Doesn't mean they're esoteric Hitlerists, but anything that is not Left is Right.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Their statement of vision and direct response are the best marketing pushes they could've made for this game, tbh. Kotaku is full of fags, but they're useful fags; and their dumbass article gave Void the perfect opportunity for an effective marketing play in the form of their response.

A justified response that is, general sentiment is turning against the querulous puritan cucks that staff places like Kotaku. Telling them to fuck off in-more-words is great way to win over some support and purchases; Steam certainly thinks so.
Capture1.png
Capture3.png

This Early-Access Tactical Fuzz Simulator has beat-out Monster Hunter and FNaF in the Steam Top Selling list, wtf.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Kotaku put out a retard article for this game. Not linking it, but if you really want to give them a click, you can google it.

Here's some choice quotes from the article:

a violent political fantasy with no capacity for self-interrogation.

Ready or Not’s realism is effective enough to disturb but too shallow not to descend into farce, or worse, Blue Lives Matter cosplay with fascist overtones and alt-right dog whistles.

Then there’s the law and order ideology that frames the rest of the game. America is on the brink. Crime is at an all-time high. It can’t be fixed, only subdued. The game trains you to fear everyone you meet, not as commentary but as wish-fulfillment, and with seemingly no awareness of the nation’s recent reckoning with an epidemic of police killings.

strong-man cop worship (there are no female police in the game yet)

I swear, even cops in goddamn video games are getting canceled.
:takemymoney::takemyjewgold:

futurama-fry.gif

typical user

Arbiter
The only thing that deters me from getting the game is suspect-AI. Check this out: SWAT team breaches the building and what you are going to do? Comply and listen to their orders like any sane person would do? No, run around like a crackhead you are because police officers can't shoot you without authorization no matter what.

I mean, in USA if you try to run the cops WILL shoot you when breaching a building. Now again in the game I have seen people with guns in hand run around like headless chickens - and you get penalized if you use lethal force when they don't listen to your very simple orders! In real life you do not know if they do not have some IEDs or knives stashed under their T-Shirts! You can't even shoot people with guns in their hands unless they very clearly tell you to fuck-off! I mean there is a paintball gun and tasers to get S-rank but c'mon. I haven't seen anyone tackle NPCs to the ground and you certainly can't shoot them if they ignore your orders FIVE times IN A ROW.

ADL

Prophet
I highly recommend that AI mod posted a page or two back, they're more aggressive so they'll pull guns on you meaning lethal force will be justified and the AI is also more likely to drop their weapons or surrender if unarmed. It's all a bunch of values that are completely imbalanced.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
The only thing that deters me from getting the game is suspect-AI. Check this out: SWAT team breaches the building and what you are going to do? Comply and listen to their orders like any sane person would do? No, run around like a crackhead you are because police officers can't shoot you without authorization no matter what.

I mean, in USA if you try to run the cops WILL shoot you when breaching a building. Now again in the game I have seen people with guns in hand run around like headless chickens - and you get penalized if you use lethal force when they don't listen to your very simple orders! In real life you do not know if they do not have some IEDs or knives stashed under their T-Shirts! You can't even shoot people with guns in their hands unless they very clearly tell you to fuck-off! I mean there is a paintball gun and tasers to get S-rank but c'mon. I haven't seen anyone tackle NPCs to the ground and you certainly can't shoot them if they ignore your orders FIVE times IN A ROW.

Sounds just like SWAT 4.

randir14

Augur
The new patch came out yesterday, has anyone played it? It's got a lot of nice upgrades, but the enemy AI is still bullshit with them drawing guns at lightning speed and aimbotting you through walls.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1144200/view/5297923907242926573

• SWAT will fire back when sensing damage (fixes SWAT getting shot and not returning fire, also allows Suspects to fire back if they they take damage through walls/doors)

Finally, this bug annoyed me to no end.

• First 3 bullets that a suspect fires have an accuracy penalty

Nice. But they need a step down from the elite commando unit tier they currently are at. In the world of Ready or Not, even the neighborhood gangbangers are skilled marksmen with 100 hours range time weekly.

ADL

Prophet
The new patch came out yesterday, has anyone played it? It's got a lot of nice upgrades, but the enemy AI is still bullshit with them drawing guns at lightning speed and aimbotting you through walls.
The AI has gotten significantly less bullshit than before but the mod I was playing with was still better. They should really just hire him on as a contractor because he got the values just right. I'll post a link if/when Kronzky updates his AI mod.
Terrorist Hunt was updated for the new version today https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2692818004

oldbonebrown

Arcane
every few months when I want to check up on this game I can only ever remember it as "the anal staircase game"
not a very strong title "ready or not"

ADL

Prophet

Disregard. Just copyright bullshit but there's another pretty fucked up level in the supporter edition patch. Waiting for game journos to pick up on that one for another wave of articles soon.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Let's be real, the "official" reason of there being copyright material was just a smokescreen. We all know the butthurt prudes just wanted a shot at bringing RoN down.

randir14

Augur
I just played the new update and it's a huge improvement in almost every area. When this game is finished it's probably going to be one of the best tactical games ever made.

ADL

Prophet
I just played the new update and it's a huge improvement in almost every area. When this game is finished it's probably going to be one of the best tactical games ever made.
Agreed. The AI update is a massive game changer and I can't wait for standard edition users to get their hands on it so I can find a fucking lobby. Last night I spent about four hours running the same mission over and over and over because the AI was that unpredictable and it was fun every single time.

randir14

Augur
Awhile back they said the final game will have more violence and gore. It looks like they've started the framework for that, suicide bombers can be gibbed although it's obviously early placeholder visuals so it looks dumb.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Are the enemy placements randomized? I played just a bit of the early access but it looked like they are the same every time which I didn't care for. Swat 4 had it kind of randomized so you never knew what to expect.

ADL

Prophet
Are the enemy placements randomized? I played just a bit of the early access but it looked like they are the same every time which I didn't care for. Swat 4 had it kind of randomized so you never knew what to expect.
They're definitely randomized and the new versions of each map in the supporter edition build do a better job of it.

randir14

Augur
Almost everything is randomized. Enemy and hostage placement, trap locations, etc. Level design is also different depending on the game mode; for example the hotel in hostage rescue mode takes place on the upper floors and construction area. But in active shooter mode it takes place on the ground floor.

Also the latest version added a bunch of new AI behaviors so it's impossible to predict how NPC's will react. I've seen them do things like pretend to be dead after being shot, then get up and charge at me with a knife when my back was turned. They sometimes even walk towards you ignoring commands like they're trying to suicide by cop.

Last edited:

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
That's good to hear, I might come back to this. I haven't played anything like SWAT 4 in all these years and this is just like a modern SWAT 4. Rainbow Six Vegas may have been the closest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom