Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Obscure RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lord_Potato, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Hi, guys,

waiting for the complete translation for Fallout of Nevada I decided to venture into the unknown and try one of the more obscure RPGs, the kind of which are rarely discussed even in this esteemed company of RPG veterans.

However, venturing into the unknown I would not like to go without some kind of compass (not to be mistaken with quest compass) so, I'm curious about your opinions on these games (screenshots hidden under spoiler tags):

1. Another War - ok, I'll start with the least obscure of them all. A Polish RPG from 2002 with action set during the 2nd World War.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

2. Anito - Defend the Land Enraged - propably the only cRPG made in Phillipines.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

3. Arcatera, the Dark Brotherhood
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

4. Dark Secrets of Africa, aparently made by Germans. What is interesting is a fresh setting - 19th century colonial Africa
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

5. Icarus, Sanctuary of the Gods
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

6. Metal Hearts Replicants Rampage - seems like a Russian Fallout wannabe
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

7. Morning's Wrath
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

8. Paradise Cracked - another Russian game, this time cyberpunk
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

9. Shadow Vault - it really looks like a Fallout wannabe, but from what I've read is more akin to Fallout Tactics
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

10. The Banished - from what little I could find, it was also a Polish game, seemed to have really big game world ready for exploration. But I cannot find even a single review on the net.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

So, did you play any of these forgotten titles? If yes, what are your thoughts on them? Are they worth the time and effort to obtain and play?

Or perhaps there are more obscure titles out there which you know?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    • Brofist x 28
    • Informative x 6
    • Interesting x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. IncendiaryDevice Self-Ejected Village Idiot

Self-Ejected
    :abyssgazer:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    I've only played Metal Heart and only through half of the first town. Not a fan. IMO, Planet Alcatraz is a better Russian Fallout clone, even with RTwP combat. *

Some of these games are hard to get. Do you have site that is actually selling all of these?

*Edit: Better does not mean great. I finished it and found it very entertaining/lulzy for the part of the game but after a while it drags a bit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Serus Arcane

Serus
    Some of the games you mentioned I heard of (Metalheart, Arcatera, Another War). Of the ones I haven't heard of this one looks the most interesting. Exactly because of a really interesting setting you mentioned. Is there anyone who played it ? Is it total crap or playable ? Is there an English version ?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Well, some of these might be considered as abandonware. Other titles can perhaps be still purchased. I am just curious if it's worth it.

Thanks for the info on Metal Heart, Saduj!

So, let me add some more obscure titles to the list:

11. Archangel - Polish (?) action RPG
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

12. Blind Justice - not only obscure but also the oldest title of the ones I presented here (1995). I've heard some good things about it, like it has a story that rivals the one of Planescape: Torment, but I'm not sure if it wasn't just some internet trolling...
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

13. Dragonfire the Well of Souls - an RPG from Sweden (!) based on their system Dragons and Demons (!!)
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

14. Gorasul - Legacy of the Dragon
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

15. Mistmare - alternative history of medieval Europe destroyed by magical fog
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

16. Vampire Hunters
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    According to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hwWXxDeAfE

there is an English version and the game is voiced (not too good voice acting).

^ Top  
  7. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    And thanks for the info on Planet Alcatraz. I'd might check it. Maybe Krai Mira too. I heard they made enhanced edition and fixed most of the bugs. Russians really like their Fallout clones, don't they?

^ Top  
  8. Count Grishnak Literate

Count Grishnak
    If I'm thinking of the right game, this is often cited as one of the worst RPGs of all time.

Edit: From Wikipedia

• Funny x 9
    • nice x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Yes. Arcane Patron

Yes.
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :avatard:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    This one's original name is Droiyan, which is the first (?) commercial game in the series. Before that there was a freeware game (same name, same devs) which was way different. There's also Droiyan Next (beat'em up), Online ('nuff said) and a sequel which was only released in Korea and Russia. I tried to translate the Russian version to English, but had to put it on hold for a while due to crappy program structure (it literally dumps the whole text into the savefile, so you have to start over every time you make changes to the ingame text while risking to waste hours of work due to crappy placement of CCs).

EDIT: Forgot to add that Droiyan 2 is a poor Diablo clone. Why the devs decided to go with an ARPG instead of SRPG is beyond me.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    You know you've been too long on the Codex when you read it as "Paradise Cucked".

• Funny x 15
    • Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. deama Liturgist

deama
    What's your review of Prince of Qin? I tried playing it but the translation was really really bad, as well as the voice acting, I couldn't stomach it. Should I force myself or?

I played that one. Hmm, it's an interesting game, it does some parts kinda well like the atmosphere (at least in the first era). It's more of a light RPG, there are come C&C shinanigans but as far as I can tell, they don't change the main story. I would recommend you play this if you don't know what else to play; the game does drag on at certain parts, especially the end.[/QUOTE]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Oh God, I played this shit for like 30 minutes over 10 years ago when it was added to some shitty magazine. This game was downright unplayable.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    If what you're looking for is a good, obscure RPG in a nice setting then you should try Jewel of Arabia : Dreamers. It takes place in an Arabian Nights setting, focuses on exploration first and foremost, in a fully open world or so, and has everything you could expect such as party creation and turn-based combat. It uses a keyboard-based dialog system and in particular you'll hunt keywords to get quests...
    The full game is long, with a big world to explore and there are definitely some cool moments, for example you can enter the story of a storyteller. The game makes good use of the setting, it never steps aside from it, there are many (mechanical as narrative) little things here and there that I won't spoil and the main story is nice.
    The class system is cool, they're not classic. Besides they are a couple of actually strong items to look for (according new spell levels and reducing MP consumption for some level of magic and such).
    The game is not perfect, there are some boring quests, combat is above average but it's not excellent ; exploration is great though, and you can probably do most things in any order provided you're strong enough. Overall it's a very good game.
    You need an old mac emulator to play it. Just play the shareware version, then if you like it as much as I did then look for an activation code and go on, the game is big, in particular although I completed it I only got the 4 first levels of spells over 7 (you get these via items) so there are certainly many things, quests especially, I haven't solved.
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    World of Chaos. Unplayable eastern european(i think) game where you playing as ork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even turn based, but i can't find screens of combat.

• Funny x 12
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    We got a review of Prince of Qin men.

• Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Keep them coming, guys. I am sure there are some hidden pearls here!

I'm very interested in Prince of Qin - is it more of a Chinese Baldur's Gate or Chinese party based Diablo? What's the combat, real time or RTwP?

Archangel might be worth a try. Also this Jewel of Arabia looks incredibly sexy! Even though it requires a Mac emulation...

What's unplayable about World of Chaos? It looks like poor man's Of Orcs and Men :)

^ Top  
  19. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Nah, you recruit party members and fight on hex arenas.
    It was broken and never patched, iirc.

Found combat

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Grimwulf Arcane Patron Vatnik

Grimwulf
    17. Stranger (by Fireglow Studios)

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Feels and plays a lot like Rage of Mages, but with more story and less grind. I remember it being actually good, or engaging at least. Alas, seems like it's gone forever - can't find the game anywhere on the net. Used to have it on CD, but fuck knows where is it now.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

The story was presented in comix-like fashion. Loved the art. Hated the voiceover.

18. Battle of Heroes (you can't come up with a more generic name if you try).

Yet another game with Rage of Mages gameplay, only with less story and more grind.

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Looks bad. Feels bad. Is bad.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I remember this thing.:negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh yeah, Grimwulf reminded me, Konung.

• Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. vazha Erudite

vazha
    Sans the unplayable bugs (there are two scenarios: either your char freezes at the final battle of act 1, or the game goes batshit crazy for no reason at all and assigns you shitload of skill points, thus allowing you to wrap up that buggy battle in one turn, but rendering the rest of the game pointless), it had one of the best atmospheres of all the rpg games I've played, quite interesting quests with some nice C&C thrown in, character system not unlike of The Dark Eye and really, really satisfying turn-based combat. It's such a shame nobody modded this to a playable version.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    • Informative x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    19. Zenfar

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    DESPAIR THY EYES
    :troll:

• Despair x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I was young and stupid. I think, i still have some shady CD with this turd somewhere.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.