Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Obscure RPGs

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Lord_Potato, Dec 1, 2017.

1. octavius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

octavius
    I'm sure the CRPG Addict would be delighted to learn about that list. :troll:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. FrancoTAU Cipher

FrancoTAU
    It's not Russian shovelware bad, it's more Dungeon Lords level bad. Some interesting ideas, but poorly executed.

^ Top  
  3. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    It's the Prussian-Russian axis of jank game design

• Funny Funny x 3
    • No No x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Possibly, but all the QBASIC RPGs I've come across so far are complete fucking shit, but maybe there is a gem in there somewhere.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. jebsmoker Magister Patron

jebsmoker
    Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    • Brofist x 2
    • incline x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Is it just literally Rogue with a 3D graphical wrapper?

^ Top  
  7. jebsmoker Magister Patron

jebsmoker
    it is indeed rogue with a mid to late 90s graphical aesthetic

^ Top  
  8. jebsmoker Magister Patron

jebsmoker
    i found a reliable source for the original version of Caribbean! on gog-games. Caribbean! is basically an intensely janky tribute to the Sea Dogs game series done in the Mount & Blade: Warband engine. after the sequel? revamped? version came out (Blood and Gold), you could no longer buy it

compared to it's later iteration, Blood and Gold: Caribbean, its got some teething issues, but it's still worth checking out if you want to see what the original version of the game was like. while i do not condone piracy (gog-games is basically this massive downloadable archive of gog's entire catalog, although they say you can technically share your games as long as you don't profit from doing so), i cannot think of any other reliable source to get this game

https://gog-games.com/game/caribbean

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Then check Walls of Bratock and Vampyr: Talisman of Evocation as well. I remember they were early Ultima-inspired games as well.
    Also does anyone know about DbQuest?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ShaggyMoose Learned

ShaggyMoose
    Never heard of it before, but it immediately reminded me of Nahlakh.

^ Top  
  11. ShaggyMoose Learned

ShaggyMoose
    That is kind of cool actually; I have seen heaps of Rogue wrappers using tilesets, but never one that converted everything to first person. The attacking ASCII letters are hilarious.

^ Top  
  12. Ludwig von Eisenthal Augur

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Is it only me or does this shady website make a lot more sense than GOG's own convoluted website? Much more organized and not cramped with flashy shit. And I really appreciate the display of what updated when.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Nah, Nahlakh is glorious Wizard's Crown clone and one of the best combatfag CRPGs ever. DBQuest is just clicking A (attack) - arrow key.

^ Top  
  14. ShaggyMoose Learned

ShaggyMoose
    Yeah, it was just the image not the gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. jebsmoker Magister Patron

jebsmoker
    no, it's not just you. it's much more direct

^ Top  
  16. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Yeah, but it's a direct copy of an older website that was taken down awhile ago called GoodOldDownloads. Gog-Games also takes the majority of their content from other uploaders and then tries to get people to donate money to them for it. I'd personally recommend the Torrminatorr forums for GOG stuff, CSRIN for Steam or RuTracker if you're torrent-preferential. Gog-Games is okay for what it is, but it really is just run by someone trying to profit off of the creations and donations of others. Piracy is one thing, but then to actively try to profit off it when you aren't even the one purchasing the games nor the dude who made the website just irks me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morpheus Kitami Arbiter

Morpheus Kitami
    If you're getting Bratock, either buy it (guy still sells it for some reason) or find the full version somewhere, I recall the shareware version being incredibly unfun.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Skdursh Learned

Skdursh
    Adding some more shit to the obscure list of games that I know almost nothing about but the screenshots look nice.

Goldenland: Cold Heaven - Russian only

Nightwatch - Another Russian game, but apparently with English text (might only be the menus, not sure if there is full English translation or not) Also, according to the comments seems to use some sort of wacky old DRM that can fuck up your computer unless you patch it properly, so be careful and use a VM.

Sabotain: Break the Rules - I'm sure many of you have heard of this, but I'm putting it here for anyone interested. Includes an English translation patch.

Sentient - A fantastic hidden gem of a game that I highly recommend if you like weird shit with unique gameplay elements. More of an adventure game than an RPG, but I think it's worthy of mention

The Fall: Last Days of Gaia - German game. English translation patch available under downloads.

Zlatogorye 2 - Russian only. Related to Goldenland.

Birthright - The Gorgon Alliance - The name sounds familiar so it might not be as obscure as some of the others on this list, but the screens look nice so I'll give it a shot.

I'm slowly making my way through all the DOS offerings on the site now to see if I can root out anymore interesting looking RPGs, so I'll probably add a handful more later.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    Yup, played all three of them. DBQuest was the only one I completed. Neat little game, but I remember the kill spell being overpowered.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sotomonte Novice

Sotomonte

I have a physical copy of this game ... in Spanish.

With the success of games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, there were Spanish distributors that brought us many RPGs that resembled those games, including Goldenland. So officially there are only two official versions of the game, in Russian and in Spanish.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lord_Potato Arcane

Lord_Potato
    Did you play it? What's your verdict?

^ Top  
  22. Sotomonte Novice

Sotomonte

Well, I've been playing it for a long time (almost 20 years?) And didn't finish it (I might just reinstall it and try again).

The gameplay is very similar to the Fallouts, for example, you could recruit companions that you did not control directly during the combats, but its system was weaker, more crude (if that is possible) and simpler. Of course you did not find characters or missions as interesting as in the Fallout series.

I remember that it was advisable to put points in a certain skill because otherwise the random encounters when you traveled around the map were constant and it became boring.

The game had an Eastern European aesthetic which, like it or not, was a little fresh air after so much medieval fantasy world with Western European aesthetics.

But really, I don't remember much about it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Funny, so do I! Or the first Goldenland game, I'm not sure. I don't even know if it works for W7-10 to boot. Or where I left the game disk to begin with.
    From a glance it indeed seemed like a Fallout 1 janky thing, but I didn't play it much.

^ Top  
  24. The Red Knight Erudite

The Red Knight
    Jasede
    http://dedomil.net/games/577/screens
    The first file for 128x160 is Português/Česky/Polski/Türkçe/Ру́сский, haven't tested the rest.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron Sad Loser

Jasede
    Interesting. Thank you.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.