Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
:mlady:
Marketing gone right

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
This game looks beautiful, but I can't find an RPGcodex thread for it (maybe someone should make one)
It's a free roguelike you can download from here: http://www.thetempleoftorment.net/
Let me know if it's good, I don't have time to play it.
World-1.png

Narushima

Cipher
This game looks beautiful, but I can't find an RPGcodex thread for it (maybe someone should make one)
It's a free roguelike you can download from here: http://www.thetempleoftorment.net/
Let me know if it's good, I don't have time to play it.

I played this a bunch now.
It's good, rather simple but enjoyable. The writing isn't great, including the fact that the game insisted on calling my male character "she", and it's clearly from a non-native speaker. Not that it's a real detriment to the game, the gameplay is perfectly solid.
The world is quite empty. The cities should really be only one screen, since 99% of buildings are empty (thankfully you can see that immediately from the map so you don't waste your time).
The inventory screen is very barebones, all items are just in an unsorted list, and you can't select several things at once, so you end up going back and forth through menus to sell/sacrifice/drop items, which is tedious.

I'd recommend playing on Standard difficulty, or whatever it's called, so you can reload after death. I chose Hardcore, which is permadeath, and my lvl 16 Warlock died pretty stupidly quite a few hours in, and now I probably won't ever play the game again.

Overall, it's a solid game, I do recommend it if you're looking for some light Ultima action.

Arbaces

Novice
Zyll (1984)

Presumably named to stand out by being last alphabetically in the IBM PC software catalog. Zyll controls like an adventure game with verbs selected from contextual menus, but unless you have a PC XT keyboard (function keys on the side) you'll want to press Alt-K to change to a sensible layout N.B. this doesn't work on some copies despite all reporting they're the same 1.00 release.

In Zyll you explore a castle and the surrounding countryside with the goal of defeating the evil wizard who is the game's namesake. It can be played in solitaire as well as competitively or cooperatively in splitscreen. On a modern system it is more convenient to plug in a second keyboard than to sit side by side at the same one. Players select a class from Warrior, Thief, or Wizard. Then they choose spells if they are a wizard. Finally they pick their starting items to balance carry weight against combat efficiency. As characters lose health from combat or spellcasting their carrying capacity decreases, and they may be forced to leave items behind to move. Actions play out in realtime at a pace which is best described as fucking slow, so it's most enjoyable sharing the misery with someone else. For reference it takes about one whole second for every dot in the ellipses after the text.

Zyll_Cover_art.jpg
zyll-5.jpg

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That's a pretty cool place, basically what GOG used to be. Not sure how many other titles they have over GOG, but IIRC they're the only place you can get a version of Duke Nukem 3D that isn't the World Tour edition.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
On a similar note of Gates here's a less obscure game since CRPG ADDICT played it.

http://crpg.adamantyr.com/article_01.htm
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2017/08/game-258-gates-of-delirium-1987.html?m=1

Sad, there used to be a page dedicated to it that i dl'd ages ago.
Just stuck with these static images now
0008.png

Gates of Delerium dl
Map
Manual 1
Manual Corrections

More "trash"-80 games.
Trs-80 docs

Hey, I think I saved a crappy archive.

Did CRPG ADDICT send in to the contest?
6LpvMPj.jpg

J0cCJH2.jpg

Searching mobygames Diecom Products Inc. and hit 1 game is all.
Caladuril: Flame of Light
1486678825-1172049645.jpg

1486678826-3087894703.jpg

1486678826-2753442835.gif

1486678825-807711288.jpg

1486678825-2022179929.jpg

1486678825-1176891977.jpg

1486678825-1334118676.jpg
Etc
Caladuril - Flame of light
Manual
Text system requirements
I wonder what other games they made and what the cap looked like?

Funny, a different developer (oblique triad) did a second game
Caladuril 2 [coco]

Diecom Products was a CoCo software publishing company based in Milton, Ontario, Canada during the mid to late 1980's. It was best known for its unsanctioned ports and clones of popular arcade titles, and for being one of the first companies to publish both 64K games on the Coco 1/2, and Coco 3 games. Other notable Diecom products were the RAT graphics package (which included a PC mouse adapter), and two games that used the Sega Light Phaser (which included an adapter for the gun).

on the Trs 80 sight just search for diecom and you'll see a few entries. Maybe mocagh had a advert booklet for the company.

IRON FOREST

Yep ripoffs
And here is just text adventure games

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This has been mentioned before but I never played the appleII version:
BEWARE OF SEIZURES!!

...and this is what Chuckles does in his mind.

Or he's really a technician and not a jester.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom