Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol. The red queen says "Let's blow this fucker up! KABOOM BABY!"
crusade.jpg

Shelly "Bombshell" Harrison???
Ah0Cz4z.jpg

Well, at least some idea of amiga gameplay.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, all the assets are not his own and it looks very wolfensteinish.

Man, when I finally saw an original appleII Ultima played I was like DAMN! That is way different than his later remaster. Yeah, questron looked better. I don't think this project will ever get more work.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did anyone mention Star Command? Damn sure someone did. I sort of had wasteland vibes x Centauri Alliance

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Did anyone mention Star Command? Damn sure someone did. I sort of had wasteland vibes x Centauri Alliance

Not that obscure, being an SSI game.
I played it about ten years ago, but it bugg(er)ed out on me halfway through.
Quite good game, but not a "must play" unless you're a completionist.

Mikeal

Arcane
So I was browsing m'abandonware :mlady: and found some of the cRGPs below. Any opinions/warnings about them?

Heath: The Unchosen Path
Goldenland: Cold Heaven
Zlatogorye 2
Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard
The Fate
Dragonfire: The Well of Souls
Night Watch
NightStone
Another War
NeverEnd
Shadow Vault
Kivi's Underworld

V_K

Arcane
Zlatogorye 2
Same game. Arcanum wannabe with Slavic flavor. Get it if you like fetch/fedex quests because that's the only thing you'll be doing in the game.
Very fun but not really an RPG, more like real-time squad tactics with some Adventure elements.
Sorry, brainfart - mixed it up with Hexplore. Hexx is a real-time free-scrolling blobber with mid-90s visuals. Doesn't really have anything to offer.
Kind like Diablo (real-time, isometric) meets PnC Adventure (static backgrounds, some minor puzzles). Worth it for getting a chance to play a murderous duck.
Oh boy. Oh. Boy.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Found it fun the last time I played it, but get any unofficial fan patches you find lying around. There's a glitch in the regular version that removes all the small keys you have whenever you change floors.
Night Watch
The one based off the Russian book, right? Seemed interesting, but I didn't get very far. It required you to do modify a file or something to run it. Something about how it reads how much memory you have,

negator2vc

Scholar
Night Watch
The one based off the Russian book, right? Seemed interesting, but I didn't get very far. It required you to do modify a file or something to run it. Something about how it reads how much memory you have,
Yes, both Night Watch and Day Watch (it's sequel) are based on the Russian books (using the book lore with new player's characters).
The easiest way to play them is with VM in a controlled environment especially since at least Night Watch came with one of those
crappy DRM system that can easily mess newer OS.
That's what I use for most of the older windows games even though most of them could be played with wine (I am a linux user). I only use wine for newer windows games that are too slow or unplayable in VM.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I was browsing m'abandonware :mlady: and found some of the cRGPs below. Any opinions/warnings about them?

Zlatogorye 2
The Fate
Night Watch
NightStone
Another War
NeverEnd
Shadow Vault
Kivi's Underworld

Here's my minireview of Heath: the Unchosen Path.

And of Another War.

Zlatogorye 2 (Golden Land, sequel to Heath) was published only in Russian and Spanish, so I did not play it. Cold Heaven is an expansion pack to Zlatogorye 2.

Shadow Vault seems like poor man's Fallout: Tactics. Never went far with this one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Sort of get Cobra Mission vibes in a way.
Crime Fighter
published by author in 1993, running on MS-DOS
type: strategy
perspective: bird's-eye
player options: single player

other: Shareware
languages: GER

Technical specs
hardware: Enhanced Graphics Adapter,
display: raster

Authors / Staff

Peter Steffen. (Author I assume)

Trivia

Remake
The game is a remake of the Commodore 64 classic Mafia made by Igelsoft in 1986.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Crime Fighter was neat, but its very poorly balanced. Successfully pickpocketing or stealing from the docks gets you the same amount of points as the bigger actions. And actions difficulty didn't really correspond to how difficult they were, pickpocketing was a pain and was hard even at full stats, while stealing from the docks or houses required you to play a Sokobon-clone to steal stuff. Fun though, once you get full equipment and a full team.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The tunnel to another island and the magic items outline nail it.
Yendorian Tales 2-3, I think is a masterpiece of "balancing". Every your item, even enchanted to the max, every your spell, is completely obsolete in the next area.

For every crafty asshole there is a screw with inverse rifling. One of the two had an isolated midgame area with some special invulnerable monsters (meaning, with fuckton hitpoints) and special weapons existing solely to kill them (meaning, with fuckton damage). The weapons were supposed to disappear upon leaving the area... but there was a way to take them outside that I have found. For the rest of the game, I found enemy resistance rather underwhelming :smug:
Which of those two should I play, or is the whole trilogy good?

Developer
Can I run it on Win7, tho? It says Win 10, but want to be sure.

Hello Gandalf the FEDitron.

Redaxium may or may not run on other OS. I'm not even sure it will for Windows Eleven.

As i've explained before I can't support operating systems I don't run my self.
It's a slippery slope that I don't want to fuck around and find out on.

If you value your money you shouldn't fuck around and find out yourself.
But given the cheapness of the game maybe some don't care.

IIRC one of the refundable things on steam is when you can't even run a game you just bought.
That said i'm not sure how strict they are if you knowingly didn't meet the minimum specs.

I've done nothing to anchor my game to Win10 api, or Debian10 api specifically.
Linux users may find the game runs fine on various distros. Ubuntu, Mint, most likely to work as well.
Windows users will probably run into file lookup issues or permission issues or need some .NET thing.

mondblut

Arcane
The tunnel to another island and the magic items outline nail it.
Yendorian Tales 2-3, I think is a masterpiece of "balancing". Every your item, even enchanted to the max, every your spell, is completely obsolete in the next area.

For every crafty asshole there is a screw with inverse rifling. One of the two had an isolated midgame area with some special invulnerable monsters (meaning, with fuckton hitpoints) and special weapons existing solely to kill them (meaning, with fuckton damage). The weapons were supposed to disappear upon leaving the area... but there was a way to take them outside that I have found. For the rest of the game, I found enemy resistance rather underwhelming :smug:
Which of those two should I play, or is the whole trilogy good?

2 and 3 are very same-y, if you like one, you'll probably like the other.

1 is a very different beast, it's an Ultima 6 copycat, not World of Xeen copycat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom