Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Probably should play u6 first but i believe there is a BEST version of U6 but I don't recall. Some sort of mix of FM-Towns/DOS?

I actually now wonder how many U6 clones and likes there are? Not U7 but 6. I also thought there was a u6 in the u7 engine project (i know of the DS mod but wonder why no U0-4 DS mod).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to get into OCD-mode and fix some picture & location links in this thread.

Anyway, I was stumbling around Freegames and noticed RuneSword & RuneSword 2. So I looked up Crosscut games (CommonWeath Software at one time) Seems RuneSword 2 is now WAS associated with Shrapnel Games Inc according to mobygames (or is Shrapnel Games different from the INC? Inc does have Scalywag: Lair of the Medusa)

Anyway, I noticed:
Games (appleII)
Dragon Side II: The Twisted Speare (1986)
Bronze Dragon: Conquest of Infinity (1985)

You can find them a few places like:
Index IF archive AppleII

But what the hell happened to DungeonDelvers? Seems ZOMBIEWARE. I did dig up a few pics though:
iPq0UlI.jpg
3O9Qyix.jpg
cjXif0P.jpg
5myq6gg.jpg
dQKcGVR.jpg
v5uw3m2.jpg
wSCoP6m.jpg
emvxkQ4.jpg
ukorkE7.jpg
bBi8FxS.jpg
t9XYMdN.jpg
GinxcAO.jpg
StMU18N.jpg
Plwx2JF.jpg
c3icCRJ.jpg

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I don't remember anything RPG-related in any of Gelios's titles. They're not even like Strife or Pathways into Darkness where you get NPCs to talk to and increased health and accuracy as the game goes on. Its just like any other FPS from that time, except Russian.

V_K

Arcane
It's very unfinished. The starting city is utterly huge and utterly empty. There are quests (outside of the city) that cannot be completed because their dungeons haven't been implemented. Combat is RTwP but for some reason in an entirely different interface, which is ugly and unwieldy.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh... this might help

RIGHT!

Now you know how to play the most epic game of all time.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
Notice no one ever got into a fight in the vids... or am I missing something.
There are no fights in the starting city. And the quest to escape it takes a loooooong time. Most of it spent walking past non-interactive buildings - that map you posted is actually a 1:1 representation of what's in the game, but with one exception, only the labled buildings can actually be entered. And there are no side quests. This screenshot of the combat interface is the only one I could find:

images

What you don't immediately see on this screenshot is that this tiny knight sprite is used to represent any combatants, irrespective of their species. Oh, and it's RTwP. Oh, and the only magic in the game is summoning magic - there are no spells that you can cast directly in battle. Yes, combat in this game is extremely exciting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm glad I skipped Daemonsgate on my play list. I see I commented it "sounds boring". The most exciting thing about it must be those maps Keighn posted.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Lol. I should dig deeper instead of a casual search. Maybe I should make a Daemonsgate thread..
daemons1.jpg

launchbox lynx

NOTES ON TOWN LOOT/TRAINING!

patchnotes '94
When i look at gog download it displays 111193 next to the exe so that looks like nov 11 1993 version. I'm not sure what a patch does. I'll look for a thread.

Another Review

People on GOG asked about the soundtrack from CD. It wasn't good in midi so maybe this ripped version is ok. Daemonsgate OST

Last edited:

Skdursh

Savant
Can I run it on Win7, tho? It says Win 10, but want to be sure.
Bro, move on already. Windows 7 is a dead OS. It is no longer supported by Microsoft (or anyone else) and as a result is completely insecure against malware and attack. Continuing to use Win7 is akin to holding up a sign in the middle of a US prison that says, "HAX0RZ, PLZ CUM RAEP ME! PWN ME HARDER, DADDY!". Besides that, by continuing to use it you are technologically kneecapping yourself as it lacks the fundamental APIs necessary to run many modern games and going into the future it's only going to get worse as engines and developers end support so they can move on to modern tools. It's pure brainlet to keep using it. If you're adverse to Win10 then just get a modern Linux distro. You can play essentially any singleplayer game you want on Linux these days, only multiplayer games are a potential toss up and that's only because of anti-cheat software not being viable across vast number of Linux distros that exist as the anti-cheat devs cannot account for all of them and as a result account for none of them. Even then, if you really just gotta play the hottest popamole multiplayer it's still possible to get around the issue by instantiating a Win10 VM. These days Steam itself has it's own inbuilt support for Linux with Steam Play that allows you to play almost every singleplayer game across Steam through the standard launcher without needing to do any additional configuration. It literally "just works".

Sotomonte

Educated

I almost get Red Crystal Vibes

Your basics:
MOCAGH STUFF
Mobygames info
AtariGamer
ATARIAGE HELP (small pdf help file with toen maps)
Bitchin' Cover
FQ37obm.jpg

daemonsgate-poster.jpg

Take a look at the Atari Lynx version (nog listed on mobygames as this is some obscure port.
VaKzc7y.jpg

QnocSv7.jpg

GJWNV9p.jpg

Z824iR1.jpg

Notice no one ever got into a fight in the vids... or am I missing something.

maps
daemonsgate-map.jpg

daemonsgate-townmap.jpg

And yeah a GameFaq

How we say in Spain: "en peores plazas hemos toreado".

The more I read about Daemonsgate the more I need to play it...

:hailcthulhu:

JP78

Novice
This thread has 45 pages so, maybe someone has mentioned (a not so obscure game): Clans which is sort of the percursor of Dragonfire the Well of Souls (Which has already been mentioned).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This thread has 45 pages so, maybe someone has mentioned (a not so obscure game): Clans which is sort of the percursor of Dragonfire the Well of Souls (Which has already been mentioned).

Not sure if it was mention there but Ross made review and frankly - wouldn't touch that no matter what

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist

Not sure if it was mention there but Ross made review and frankly - wouldn't touch that no matter what

Plus the way Ross describes it makes it sound like some weird action-adventure game rather than a RPG. It is worth pointing out that he didn't play the game right, you can and have to stunlock enemies to conserve health, but the rest of it still stands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom