Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

El Presidente

Arcane
Clans sucks. I played it back then and it was already clunky. All it has going for it is the atmosphere and that's it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Three shareware games -- Two ultima likes(one early, one later) and a Zork-like text adventure.
http://excelsior-rpg.com/default.htm
11th Dimension Entertainment's products are distributed as shareware. That means you may download a FREE copy of any of our games. If you enjoy our games, we ask that you register them.

Searched around on the forum and only found a couple comments about the games.
ex2scr1.gif

ex2scr8.gif

Can't quite put my finger on why, but I really like that art projection style. Shame there's so few games that used it.

The Excelsior games have an interesting plot
In Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia, you take on the role of a "Fixer," a demi-diety under the employ of the Grand Council of World Watchers - a group of dieties who created and oversee the multiverse. Unbeknownst to the inhabitants of the many worlds of the multiverse, history is predetermined by the Watchers. Occasionally, however, something goes awry and history veers off its planned course. It is the job of the Fixer - donning an appropriate guise - to travel to the world in question and set history back on course.

Cael

Arcane
Three shareware games -- Two ultima likes(one early, one later) and a Zork-like text adventure.
11th Dimension Entertainment's products are distributed as shareware. That means you may download a FREE copy of any of our games. If you enjoy our games, we ask that you register them.

ex2scr1.gif

ex2scr8.gif

Can't quite put my finger on why, but I really like that art projection style. Shame there's so few games that used it.

In Excelsior Phase One: Lysandia, you take on the role of a "Fixer," a demi-diety under the employ of the Grand Council of World Watchers - a group of dieties who created and oversee the multiverse. Unbeknownst to the inhabitants of the many worlds of the multiverse, history is predetermined by the Watchers. Occasionally, however, something goes awry and history veers off its planned course. It is the job of the Fixer - donning an appropriate guise - to travel to the world in question and set history back on course.

That is a rather more coherent plot than most modern RPGs...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Did you pay to get the code and remove the alerts + get the manual/guide?
pqOxHoh.jpg

hyMNKdx.jpg

EwdvArh.jpg
lGePOzb.jpg

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Kinda like Arx Fatalis story?

Darth Canoli

Arcane

ex2scr1.gif

The music is horrible, the blue floor tiles and the red floor (22:16 the huge red square/carpet) from the video are some of the ugliest ever made.
And the video, I skipped through it, 30 minutes and the guy doesn't even show some combat, streamers are really useless.

So, is it Turn-Based?
Well, looks like it's single character, add the color palette and the music and I'm not sure I really want to play it.

I have to say I actually really liked playing Excelsior 2. Had a good classic feel to it, quite some freedom to explore and enough stuff to do. It's not a masterpiece but a entertaining and fairly well made game and I can't say anything bad about it.

Skdursh

Savant
I have a huge collection of Ultima knock-offs including the Excelsior series and haven't played almost any of them. The Ultizurk series, MADMAN, Wraith, Teudogar, Times of Lore, The Key to Maramon, Ultimore, Untima, AZALTA, Bad Blood, Bloodstone, the old Lord of the Rings Amiga/DOS series, Pirates, Nahlakh, Natuk, Dusk of the Gods, Hera, Cosmos, Skyland, The False Messiah and a bunch others where the game files don't give me any immediate clue as to the actual name of the game besides acronyms. I have about 70 of them listed in my Ultima\Fangames folder, but I know I have a couple others spread out across some of my other harddrives as well. I should really get around to checking some of them out eventually, especially the Dr. Dungeon games, seeing as he passed away not too long ago.

PS - Were you guys aware that Ultima VI for the FM Towns is fully voiced?

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Not surprised on the Ultima 6 FM-Towns. Let us know if you get all those games put together and listed and which native os/platform it ran on.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was looking up Lotus games for nostalgic reasons and this smacked me in the face.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Adventure maze game?

Luzur

Good Sir
I dunno if this have been posted before here but here goes

cY7Rx2.png

Lurking II: A Madness from OKLABSOFT

Classically styled Fantasy Role-Playing Game for Windows

Lurking II presents a dire need for your party of adventurers once more. Several decades of tranquility have passed since the threat of The Immortui was ended and The Necromancer was imprisoned within the orb. But always danger is lurking and a new threat has emerged. One by one, with a peculiar red gleam in their eyes, the people have begun to fall into darkness. Lying, stealing, ranting, harming... even doing murder; 'The Madness' spreads fear and doubt like a magical plague. Deemed by those skilled in leechcraft to be some sort of mystical prion of the soul, your party of adventurers must set out to discover the source of this infection and to find a remedy if they are able. The unexplained coma-like slumber of a young girl named Sparrow is your only clue. Massive exploration, puzzling enigmas, countless in-depth conversations, lost secrets, and harrowing combat in a vast open world await you and your party as you seek answers. But will you prevail in time?

FEATURES:

• Character creation with modifiable skills and attributes.
  • 'Paper Doll' style character representation.
  • Hundreds of items including clothing, musical instruments, custom forged weapons and armor and various other loot.
  • Dozens of magical spells and songs.
  • Party of up to 5 interchangeable characters.
  • Drop off or pick up PCs during quest at adventurer guilds in towns.
  • Tactical turn-based combat.
  • Vast 900 x 900 tile over-world map.
  • Expansive multi-layer underworld and structure interiors maps.
  • Over 500 individually hand-drawn tiles create a diverse and stunning world.
  • Beautiful and unique retro pixel art style.
  • Nonlinear story progression with completely open world exploration.
  • Hundreds of NPCs with extensive keyword-parsed conversations.
  • 50+ monsters with unique skills, attacks, and behaviors.
  • Plenty of noncritical secrets and hidden areas to find and explore.
  • Engaging original musical score.
  • In-game mapping function.
  • 40-60+ hours of play to complete.
https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking-ii-a-madness

Luzur

Good Sir
R5wZMs.png

Bludgeons & Krakens is a turn-based, open world RPG in which the player must seek out and destroy, or outwit, the seven Beasts of Destruction threatening the land of Abraxas.

hqD1Mi.png
Z1xUTG.png

• Keep It Classy (Or Don't). Build your character from one of five classes: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, or Druid. Play to the strengths of your class or define your own style through mastering weapon skills and magic abilities.
  • Explore a Strange World. Quests and secrets abound in every corner of Abraxas. Engage in a variety of side quests with multiple endings, or simply wander the land in search of your fortune.
  • Loot the Bodies. Take on hordes of foes in turn-based combat. Sling spells, quaff potions, rend your enemies, and reap the glorious rewards. When your skills are honed, seek out powerful bosses who will truly challenge your abilities.
https://cannibalcat.itch.io/bnk

Luzur

Good Sir
DbV7gz.png

Alvora Tactics is an indie Tactics RPG that combines strategic combat with immersive exploration. Explore and conquer Great Serpent Alvora with your own customizable band of warriors!

kypOwh.gif
rWkYuu.gif

• Deep, yet straightforward & easy to understand tactical combat
  • Explore a mix of procedural and handcrafted areas full of varied & challenging encounters
  • Destructible terrain and elemental interactions – set a jungle ablaze with fire magic, or summon water then electrify it!
  • Combine 10 races, 23 classes, 150+ upgrade-able abilities, and 50+ passives to create your ideal party
  • Unique fantasy setting; no elves, orcs, or dwarves
  • Built using the same engine, mechanics, and setting as the highly-rated Voidspire Tactics
Note: When purchased, you will also receive a Steam key on the download page.
https://radcodex.itch.io/alvora-tactics

Luzur

Good Sir
I dunno if this have been posted before here but here goes
I've played through the first one. It's good. Very Ultima IV/V.

LxVdz9.png

Lurking is a classic RPG inspired by Ultima III.

O8tOEG.jpg
0GqNTl.png

• Classless character creation with modifiable skills.
  • Build a party of up to five characters.
  • Huge (300x300 tile) open world to be explored with nonlinear story progression.
  • Beautiful retro pixel scenery that changes with the seasons.
  • Additional gigantic multi-level underworld with separate town and battle maps.
  • Turn-based combat in the early Ultima style.
  • Hundreds of weapons, armor, and special items.
  • Dozens of magical spells and songs.
  • 40+ hours of game play.
  • A fantasy role playing experience reminiscent of the 2D tile based RPGs of the 1980s.
TRAILER LINK: https://youtu.be/t6dx2SVocWM

PLOT : A mysterious figure has resurrected three ancient rulers of realms from their long, cold slumbers within their barrows. The barrow wights have taken up residence in the ruins of their former keeps and unleashed legions of undead to wreck havoc upon the lands. The denizens of the land have also become emboldened by the growing shadow of evil and despair. In desperation, the Lord Deciper has issued forth a calling for heroes to come to the aid of the people, and to find a way to thrust back the growing darkness and return the barrow wights to their slumber. But, is all as it seems?

Lurking I: Immortui boasts a huge open world role-playing experience with massive exploration, hundreds of NPCs to converse with, hordes of bloodthirsty foes, dozens of secrets, puzzles, and piles of weapons, armor, and special items. Develop your characters by pursuing the skills you desire for them as they gain experience and level up. Play magical bard songs, cast magical spells, and unravel the mystery of the resurrected barrow wights. No one will guide you through each step. No one will come to your aid in the wild. Accept a challenge that many modern games do not offer and see if you have the wits and perseverance to role-play in the old school style. If you long for the depth of story and challenging quests of the golden era of computer role playing games, Lurking I is for you.

JOURNEY ONWARD!

IMPORTANT: Version 4.0+ of this game involved a complete re-coding of the entire game. It offers many improvements over the original including improved battle and the opportunity to provide builds for MAC and LINUX users. However, data files and save games from previous versions are NOT COMPATIBLE with the new version.

***PLEASE**** If you have played this game, take a few minutes to rate it on the site, leave feedback, and post your experience to your friends and colleagues. We spent a lot of hours making it, and hearing your thoughts is what makes it all worthwhile.
https://oklabsoft.itch.io/lurking

Luzur

Good Sir
YW9peo.png

Lurking III: Vermys (In production) will be the next installment in the Lurking series. Features will include full party creation of adventurers with skills, attributes and resistances to develop along the path you choose for each character; a large open low-poly 3d world; OST; outdoor areas, indoor areas, and bewildering areas deep within the earth.

ZLCGI5.png
hBxUTQ.png
bfWhpZ.png

Vermys has now been through several different iterations using different styles, coding languages & tools, and gameplay schemes. I do believe that we have now found the path to the end of this quest. Journey onward!

Find out more by visiting the Vermys page of the OKLABSOFT website.

Oklabsoft Discord: DISCORD
https://oklabsoft.itch.io/vermys

feels like they are doing the same as that other older trilogy, Endor, Aemdor, something(?) first two was Ultima style, last one went Might and Magic 3 blobber

AdolfSatan

Arcane
All the Lurking games have their own dedicated threads in here.

I enjoyed the games, but dropped them after a couple of hours nonetheless. I can accept cumbersome UI and lack of QOL in early games, but find it inexcusable in modern productions.

Narushima

Cipher
All I can tell you is it's not on macintoshgarden's FTP, and they probably have the most complete database on that machine.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
HDSpecialPrinting.jpg

Holocaustic Dungeons is a Role Playing Game designed to be played by a group with or without a game master or as a SOLO GAME. Based on a concept of futurist dungeons, it offers hours of entertainment for any given dungeon. Dungeons are easy to create and can even be played by the creator with as much enjoyment as if it was created by someone else. Includes a dungeon. Original Price: $4.95 Creator: Kristoffer A. Silver. Published August, 1986. Ron Lim cover art.

HolocausticDungeons.jpg
Alternative cover art by Gary Amaro.

There were also apparently various accessories and adventure modules released for this game:
HDCharacterSheets.jpg
Character Sheet booklet designed to hold the data of over thirty characters for Holocaustic Dungeon characters. A quick and easy reference when playing Holocaustic Dungeons. Original Price: $2.95 Creator: Kristoffer A. Silver. Published August, 1986.

ArchaicWeapons.jpg
Archaic Weapons: The weapons you have aren't good enough? Well, here are a few more with stats not only for use in Holocaustic Dungeons, but also with other game systems. Original Price: $4.95 Creator: Kristoffer A. Silver. Published August, 1986.
DungeonOfDoom1.jpg
This is the complete grid for Level One of Dungeon of Doom, a hexagonal based dungeon designed for the Holocaustic Dungeon game series.. Original Price: $1.95 Creator: Kristoffer A. Silver. Published August, 1986.
BlairsRevenge1.jpg
This is the complete grid for Level One of Blair's Revenge, a pentagonal based dungeon designed for the Holocaustic Dungeon game series.. Original Price: $1.95 Creator: Kristoffer A. Silver. Published August, 1986.

All images and text from http://www.kristoffersilver.com/SilverWolf

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom