Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Some of you may have heard of Psionics, a hard-ish sci-fi dungeon crawler involving psionics set on a space station. Wasn't very good, but it was short and had an interesting setting, plus it was unusually gorey for a RPG.
Apparently there was a sequel or at least something that goes over the same themes as the author's first game. At least it still has psi and a space station gone wrong, judging by the screenshots, only now the player has a party. Despite the unusual setting it seems the author couldn't figure out a different plot. Don't know yet if it ends the same way though.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Some stuff from Itch, possibly nothing super relevant but since it's buried inside so much even more irrelevant stuff it might be worth mentioning these games even exist, inside spoilers are games which are definitely not traditional RPGs (mission-based games, adventure games with stats ...), I've completed most of the mentioned games by the way, otherwise it's specified anyway, and half of them are free :

- I already mentioned but finally played The Curse of Svaltfen (the game did not work on my old pc, compatibility issues not performance ones obviously). The game is longer and more complex that I presumed judging by the game coming out of nowhere, yet it's still nowhere as complex or long as Lurking games for example but these games are long and super complex anyway (up to seasons etc...) so it's OK. You recruit a party along the way, combat uses AP points but is still overall too simple for my taste, encounters are handcrafted while itemization is not. The scope seems perfect for people who like to pay attention to what people say but don't like taking notes nor keyboard dialog, it's to the point but not braindead, I can recommend it to people who want exactly that. It's a full length game and it's free.
LrHln3.png
uMph5H.png
- I can't remember if I'd ever mentioned Reflection of fallen feather. You play as monsters you recruit, combat is simple but the exploration is above average with some thought put into it, it's a small game but I thought the dungeon design was actually pretty good. It's free.
- Ok, Mumu's Pilgrimage is weird since you actually play as a cat girl (it's single character unfortunately and it's a small game). But the game has actually some cool, if limited, gameplay closely inspired by D&D, with open-ended events. It's free.
- Knights of Tartarus is a paid game which is also available on Steam, it is obviously inspired by japanese stuff and mixes Zelda-like exploration and simple turn-based combat. You get combat skills from enemies. Both aspects work but combat is definitely simple, don't expect too much from it :
- Ptolem's Singing Catacombs is a simple dungeon crawler and more of an oddity since it's very short, but it's meant to be playable by blind people, everything is accessible via voiced description.

- Monochrome Kingdom is a traditional RPG Maker game but the world is open and you fully create your party, it's satisfying to find strong items. There are some story choices. It's a little more than 5 hour long and it's free.

- OK, Netherkeep I have not completed, I even only played the demo. It's a mobile port but it has full party creation, is cheap and use a stock tileset which is not the worst. I might take the time to play it someday.

In my opinion Libris Mortis is very easy but the character system and the maps are both very good. Maps contain secrets ways to unlock some types of characters and so on. Make what you want with that.

It's a mission-based game. You play as a necromancer and the story works, by the way. Basically if you don't care that it's easy then I highly recommend it, otherwise I don't know. It's a full length game and it's free.
PicoQuest may have already been mentioned here. It plays like Hero Quest, basically, simple combat, detect traps. It's very simple but there's a free verion containing a good part of the game.
- I've already talked about Cursed 2 in other parts of the forum but it's very good and I highly recommend it, so just in case it's an adventure game similar to Uninvited, with timing-based combat and combat stats to upgrade as you wish on level ups. It's a full length game and it's free and the third episode might get released with year.
- On the same vein, the less visually appealing but very cool otherwise The Implementors' lunch is an adventure game with combat and stats which in this case can sometimes serve a purpose outside combat, nothing exceptional on that front but as an adventure game it's a good game. It's a full length game and it's free and just like the previous game I liked it more than the average recent commercial adventure game I've played.
Orcish Rage is a series of 2 real-time Strategy-RPGs. In the first game you take a series of mission where you control a bunch of heroes followed by units you don't control. You recruit units on the go and clicking on things can unlock things (items which give bonus or new units). The game is cool. The second game is more ambitious, there's a real equipment system for heroes, you get to control several different groups of heroes that you can move on a world map and there's management, you control towns where you build buildings and which can get attacked and the game follows some sort of campaign. Both games are free.
- In Corner Quest each level is a square world map.
- Dead Crowd is a small turn-based party-based game where you walk across zombies.
- Not sure the game has anything to do here but as I'm here Rabbit's Quest is a very good top down Zelda thingie. One of the good point is that it's harder than average but everything is good about it, the puzzles and secrets here and there, the exploration sequences (often as hard as the boss fights, I like that) and the boss fights, highly recommended given you like this sort of things. It's a full length game and it's free.
- Lunarrota is a short, paid, text-based adventure game (with a visible map) where getting strong enough items to kill some enemies are part of the thing and there are some sequences that you can choose to solve in different ways.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Does anyone have a download link for the full version of Yendorian Tales 1? All the downloads I've encountered seem to be the shareware version.

Last edited:

NerevarineKing

Learned

Sotomonte

Educated

NerevarineKing

Learned
Looking through older threads, it seems like Luzur has copy.

of Yendorian Tales? yeah i gotsa da zipfiles right here:

https://delafil.se/cf941b466f1c8d5b/Yendor_Trilogy.7z

The problem I have with this version is that, when I start the first one, I do it with a party of 4 already created and I am not able to create my own party.

If I try to create another game from the SETUP it starts asking me for disk 1

:negative:

You can actually talk to the innkeeper and select book to create a new party. You can even re-watch the intro from that book menu as well. That party actually starts in the first town. Although I didn't know about the book menu at first and ended up grabbing the save files from the Shareware version to start fresh (CURRGAME and SAVEGAME.A folders).

Luzur

Good Sir

The problem I have with this version is that, when I start the first one, I do it with a party of 4 already created and I am not able to create my own party.

That could be my old party

NerevarineKing

Learned

Do you remember where you level up Rogues? I've explored quite a bit and found a lot of trainers for the other 3 classes but not a single one for Rogues.

Luzur

Good Sir

Do you remember where you level up Rogues? I've explored quite a bit and found a lot of trainers for the other 3 classes but not a single one for Rogues.

sadly, no, barely remember the game LOL, i played 2 and 3 more

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

Aren't they versions of YT 2 and YT 3 that I gave you back in 2009? I'm glad that they still travel around. :lol:

Might....be? i dont remember anymore, i know i downloaded them from somewhere
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/yendorian-tales-series.36045/
The time on the files is right (05.09.2009), so they are indeed mine. Was glad to help. Copied them from some pirate CD back in the times.
:love:

Codex Year of the Donut
Ok so the Wikipedia page for Role-playing games uses a picture from a game called Tales of Trolls & Treasures. Now, apart from a few very very ancient posts on the RPG codex and 3 screenshots, I swear to god this game doesn't actually exist. So it's extremely bizzare that someone has put it on such a broad and highly viewed Wikipedia page. If anyone can find a video of this game, or has a copy of it and can make a short Let's Play, I would be forever in their debt

Rpg-project_0.64a_shot58.jpg

Rpg-project_0.64a_shot65.jpg
intro03.jpg

Note how this third pic is using Baldurs Gate 2 portraits
https://rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=29

Modron

Arcane
Ok so the Wikipedia page for Role-playing games uses a picture from a game called Tales of Trolls & Treasures. Now, apart from a few very very ancient posts on the RPG codex and 3 screenshots, I swear to god this game doesn't actually exist. So it's extremely bizzare that someone has put it on such a broad and highly viewed Wikipedia page. If anyone can find a video of this game, or has a copy of it and can make a short Let's Play, I would be forever in their debt

Rpg-project_0.64a_shot58.jpg

Rpg-project_0.64a_shot65.jpg
intro03.jpg

Note how this third pic is using Baldurs Gate 2 portraits
https://rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=29
Weird how the official page seems to be an earlier version of their website http://www.rpg-project.com:80/pages/down.htm

You can find the lastest download version they got up to through archiving their page here.
https://web.archive.org/web/20111230075613/http://www.rpg-project.com:80/pages/down.htm

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyone try this?

Style seems like Al-Qadim genies curse or World of Aden: Plague of Darkfall. You know, that real time solo adventure combat type game that seems like an odd duck swimming in thick mud.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Here's a stash of obscure late-2000s/early-2010s RPGs, never before mentioned on rpgcodex! I can personally vouch for all of them too, they are half-decent. Best part is they're all free to play.

Wasted Youth (2011)
Comedic school RPG much like Rockstar’s 2006 ‘Bully’ game. Great quests and characters. About 6 hours of gameplay.

Sonny 2 (2009)
A RPG battle game with turn-based combat. Great art and music. This will take you a few hours.

The Awakening RPG (2014)
All I’ll say is that you can really feel the love that the developer put into this game.

Mardek 3 (2010)
This game is huge. Mardek 1 and 2 both take about 3 hours to complete. The 3rd and final entry to the series will take you around 40 hours.

Arcuz (Full Version) (2011)
Diablo-like with good art.

Last edited:

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Hands of War 3 (2013)

Hash Slash Crawl (2011)
Another Diablo-like

Feudalism 3 (2013)

Worlds End Chapter One (2013)
There’s a trilogy, but I never got too far into it.

The Chimaera Stones RPG (2009)
Inspired by Ultima. I played this briefly when it came out. Whether it's a cheap knockoff or a hidden gem I don't know, someone should do an investigation...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom