Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll write exposé of this Clown Show tomorrow. Best part is yet to come, and RPG Codex will play key role.

Circus is back in town[!]
The next step of the plan is to wait for the assets to fall into the public domain?

Mazisky

Magister
I'll write exposé of this Clown Show tomorrow. Best part is yet to come, and RPG Codex will play key role.

The next step of the plan is to wait for the assets to fall into the public domain?

No, next step is re-start development from scratch calling it Chaos Chronicles Re-Re-born and it will be abandoned mid-development in 2029

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

No, next step is re-start development from scratch calling it Chaos Chronicles Re-Re-born and it will be abandoned mid-development in 2029

New Kickstarter when? Assuming the scam reports there haven't barred him from using it. May have to move over to Fig or Gofundme or something.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
So, what you are saying guys is, that actually the developer was the bad guy all along? That there was no "capitalistically evil publisher vs talented, honorable and poor developer" kind of situation after all? But the developer's tried several times, I mean, that would suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I know what some people would have done. They would have hired some certain individuals who'd hack the storage with the game files, and they would release the unfinished game openly at teh bays. Then certain different other individuals would finish what was started because hackers like to do silly things in their past-time. We all know that. After that, certain totally different individuals would hack the certain different other individuals' storages, and, to everybody's immense surprise, they'd publish that at teh bays again! What are the chances of that!

...also some times later someone previously unmentioned, or unheard-of, would make a semi-large overhaul complemented with funny, original t-shirts, mugs and wine holders. You know, as a modding team in no way whatsoever affiliated to any of the not-mentioned parties.
Hey, you can't go around suggesting ways to circumvent the law, it makes you sound like me!
I wasn't suggesting anything (wait a second, my eye's got a twitching problem suddenly, ...ok, there...)!

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, what you are saying guys is, that actually the developer was the bad guy all along? That there was no "capitalistically evil publisher vs talented, honorable and poor developer" kind of situation after all? But the developer's tried several times, I mean, that would suggest otherwise.

HobGoblin should have chosen his business partner more carefully.

mediocrepoet

Patron
After two projects failed pretty much in the same way, I'm getting extremely suspicious of the "poor judgment/bad luck" argument.
Where there's smoke there's fire and all that shit.

Poor Hobgoblin, it's crazy how he ends up in these projects that collect investment funds and then have nothing to show for any of it. When will he finally catch a break? :hahano:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
After two projects failed pretty much in the same way, I'm getting extremely suspicious of the "poor judgment/bad luck" argument.

Poor Hobgoblin, it's crazy how he ends up in these projects that collect investment funds and then have nothing to show for any of it. When will he finally catch a break? :hahano:

Yep, he's as bad as his partner. My point was more aimed towards people claiming he was blameless and it was all on his partner.

Even if hypothetically HobGoblin didn't set out to scam people, he still had full control over who he did business with.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yep, he's as bad as his partner. My point was more aimed towards people claiming he was blameless and it was all on his partner.

Even if hypothetically HobGoblin didn't set out to scam people, he still had full control over who he did business with.

Oh I fully trust incompetence and not ill will was at play here. Massive, astronomical, tank-three-projects levels of incompetence

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh I fully trust incompetence and not ill will was at play here. Massive, astronomical, tank-three-projects levels of incompetence

Still a good reason not to give him any money.

You have to view my comments in this thread in a very optimistic light to think I was arguing for that. I'm the one who argued against giving money to even The Realms Beyond kickstarter because even back when they launched I warned about feature creep and a team that hadn't proven itself capable of managing a schedule. I had a discussion with JF about exactly that.

vazha

Arcane
Wouldn't mind to see him in courtroom over fraud, to be honest. If he is proven innocent, his reputation will be restored and I might even pledge again.

mediocrepoet

Patron

You have to view my comments in this thread in a very optimistic light to think I was arguing for that. I'm the one who argued against giving money to even The Realms Beyond kickstarter because even back when they launched I warned about feature creep and a team that hadn't proven itself capable of managing a schedule. I had a discussion with JF about exactly that.

No, I didn't think you were. My point is simply that I don't particularly care whether the guy is massively incompetent or actually has criminal intent. I think he should go fuck himself. :love:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Look, even if you were to say, oh, well his heart was in the right place. He just wanted to make a good CRPG but his scheduling sucks. What about the massive amount of time when he was giving the story that oh, my 50% partner isn't answering my calls or anything. Nothing I can do! Guess I'll just lose everything again!

Yeah, bullshit.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm the one who argued against giving money to even The Realms Beyond kickstarter because even back when they launched I warned about feature creep and a team that hadn't proven itself capable of managing a schedule.
I think people should be legally allowed to pledge to a Kickstarter project only if the developer already published at least one (1) game they liked. I follow this rule to the letter and, so far, my only regret is not having supported Solasta.

Look, even if you were to say, oh, well his heart was in the right place. He just wanted to make a good CRPG but his scheduling sucks. What about the massive amount of time when he was giving the story that oh, my 50% partner isn't answering my calls or anything. Nothing I can do! Guess I'll just lose everything again!

Yeah, bullshit.
His heart may have been in the right place 5 years ago, but he has been bullshitting his customers on Discord for more than a year now. The whole "ghost CEO" plotline was so fucking lame.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm the one who argued against giving money to even The Realms Beyond kickstarter because even back when they launched I warned about feature creep and a team that hadn't proven itself capable of managing a schedule.
I think people should be legally allowed to pledge to a Kickstarter project only if the developer already published at least one (1) game they liked. I follow this rule to the letter and, so far, my only regret is not having supported Solasta.

That rule let me to be satisfied with not supporting Solasta :smug:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
"So, what's the sitch?"
As many's favourite redhead to jerk off during their Disney teen years, Kim Possible, used to say

The situation is as follows: Realms Beyond is dead! Long live Realms Beyond? Truly a story about phoenix and german autism. So Ceres Games is officially RIP. Someone closed it down, filed for bankruptcy. That someone is most likely a famous (or fabled) Ghost CEO. We were informed about that few days ago by HobGoblin on Discord. Here is picture from German company register proving that:

7ucwVjC_d.webp

Now, let's start honking[!] Honk #1: Company that is 50% owned by HobGoblin, and where he is equal partner, went bankrupt. Bankruptcy was declared on 9.3.2022. HobGoblin found out about it around 20.5.2022. Two and half months later. HONK! He said "how again no-one informed him about anything". wait. Wait. Waiiiiit! How the fuck there is no mechanism in german law system with its autism settings set on: MAX BUREAUCRACY, that you don't get informed by anyone that company you HALF own is dead?! Not even by your own lawyer, on which he admitted to have spent close to 10.000€. Honk #2. Name of Liquidator who's supposed to close down company properly, pay off all creditors and sell all company assests is Timothy Drude. Can you guess what is name of Ghost CEO? The one because of which they stopped all development, who ruined at least two deals with publishers and one who returns no calls nor responds to no emails for over two years? A supposed creator of this entire Chaos. Timothy Drude. HONK!

But how?! Well, according to german law, sitting CEO usually becomes Liquidator. Ok. Very ze well. If that is so, then why the fuck did your lawyer didn't ze tell you that? Why you filed NO, ZERO, NADA lawsuits against him, so to prevent him from becoming Liquidator by default, because of conflict of interests a judge would chose a state representative, as third neutral party to lead liquidation process? Why the FUCK, did you give up a position of CEO, position of power, privilege and decision making (Hob used to be CEO)?! That's never done in business! Back then, explanation on Discord was that "bureaucracy and paperwork was killing him" and "he couldn't focus on programming". Paperwork for company that had during peak months of Realms Beyond development 5-7 employees? All that heavy paperwork, that could have been outsourced to accountant and decison making powers kept. Nigga, who you trying to bullshit?!

Anyway. Now we are reaching a truly interesting part of this story. An opportunity for shitposting, for action, for adventure. Both remaining devs on Discord are barely active in last few days since the news dropped. They were directly asked: What's the plan of action now? No response. My idea is: Let's go Ghost Hunting! Let's contact Ghost CEO over his LinkedIn page (I'll post the link) and if assets and copyrights of Realms Beyond haven't already been sold, let's mask ourselves as Hentai Devs, tell how we'd love to use 3D models, animations etc. for our Hentai RPG, and buy Realms Beyond off!!! It can't be worth much (~10.000€ is my estimate) and then we can cuck HobGoblin, and since he owns the engine, music, some maps/quests and worldbuilding, make him our slave, We as RPG CODEX becomes CEO of new company, and drama development continues. We make new gaming company somewhere where programmers and artists are good and cheap (Balkan), we resurrect Chris Avellone and make him Lead Writer and Creative Director, HobGoblin can be code monkey, we'll pay him in bananas, and we even find private investors*. What new company, which will be called RPG CODEX Gaming (for maximum butthurt among gaming journalist and Redditors) will have as its mission? MAKE RPGS GREAT AGAIN and build Arcanum 2! It can be done

What shall ye say, my fellow ShitLords?
Are we CEO now? Ready for Adventure of Life? YAY or NAY

*I was in talks with rich based boomer investor from this forum who was interested in exactly that

vazha

Arcane
"So, what's the sitch?"
An opportunity for shitposting, for action, for adventure.

What shall ye say, my fellow ShitLords?
Are we CEO now? Ready for Adventure of Life? YAY or NAY
Count me in. Ready to pledge / become a shareholder.

Mortmal

Arcane

Yet there's indie able to pull something like that. Kotc2 combat and AI is superior to anything planned in the hypothetic realms beyond with a lone guy living on roots. Solasta fullfill its promises too , a very small budget, yet it release delivering exactly what they said in their pitch. it's not flawless, encounters far too easy , but there's no scam and it was a very ambitious project too.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Agreed! Actually competent programmers with passion for RPGs (or coupled with good gameplay designers) can do wonders! It's insane that nowadays cRPGs offer so little in terms of gameplay & story compared to legendary cRPGs from 20 years ago. Technology is so much better, why aren't RPGs too?

Also: 100.000€ they got on their Kickstarter simply don't have same value in Germany and in Serbia/ Croatia/ Bulgaria. Underrail was made for less then that. Much less

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom