Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn! - now in COMBAT BETA

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Dec 21, 2017.

1. c u in da ballpit ashren Novice

c u in da ballpit ashren
    Microprose isn't around anymore, so look how that turned out. The ownership of XCOM went under so many different people and changes and companies, until it eventually settled for the protoge of Sid Meier at 2Kgames, who was a hardcore fan of the original XCOM. If it wasn't for that legality bullshit where XCOM turned into basically Freelancer, and some weird hybrid of turn based and real time, then later a first person shooter that never went anywhere, we'd probably have more quality XCOM games out. Didn't happen though. Too many cooks spoil the broth and that's just one example.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. c u in da ballpit ashren Novice

c u in da ballpit ashren
    I didn't do much research into Baldur's Gate's development specifically, so I can't really say. But I'm sure there are exceptions out there where, if I had to guess, the vision for what the product should be is so clear-cut and concise, and there appears to be collaborating sides of development that do more than just their part of the bargain. Baldur's Gate could have been one of these exceptions.

But the point I'm trying to make here is that with so many people and different factors involved (especially legal ones,) it's easy to see why projects like OP fail. Can't imagine having the patience to do all of that tedious management shit only to find out at the very end that at best, the game never comes out, or even worse, everyone was so busy with the overhead that none of us remembered to ask if the game was actually fun or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Desiderius Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard Patron

Desiderius
    Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Let Dunbar's Number be your guide, then divide by the level of autism of the staff involved.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Just want to point out that Microprose is back under different leadership.

From their wiki:

And it looks like they are getting back to their roots with games like Urban Strife being published. X-com like game, except you fight zombies instead of aliens.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    They were bought for 70M$ in 1998, that's how it turned out and they developed or published so many classics.
    What a shit legacy indeed, nobody not looking up to Microprose legacy should be in the video game industry, they achieved everything there is to achieve, they made a lot of money while releasing good to amazing games...

What are the alternatives? Indie half-baked games or AAA shitshows?

^ Top  
  6. c u in da ballpit ashren Novice

c u in da ballpit ashren
    Hey, nobody's saying anyone isn't looking up to Microprose. I suppose this really boils down to a question about companies, or business in general, though: What is the purpose of a company, namely a video game company? To shit out products, hopefully quality products, right? But there's more to it than that. Maybe it's the vision, the overall vision of the future that matters. Maybe there's a grand goal to achieve, or better defined as, to maintain.

If I run a video game company, I wouldn't just be focused on pumping 3 - 5 good games and calling it quits and letting the company get bought up or go under. But life happens. People move on. Developers have to feed their families, and so on. But look at companies like Nintendo. They already have a successor in case Miyamoto leaves, and Iwata himself before his death if I recall was said to have had his salary cut just to keep the company afloat in it's worst moments. Perhaps there was some grand strategy to this, I don't know, and I won't pretend to understand the black magic fuckery that is finance and management at times, but I do like to think Iwata shares a vision of seeing the company go on to impact people's lives.

Someday not far from now, kids are going to grow up and have games they wanna shitpost and be contrarians about, on the codex. Today it's Skyrim we're ragging on, but tomorrow it might be Fallout: San Francisco that kiddos grow up with. You could say it's a company's "responsibility" or "calling" or "purpose" to be the reason why countless artists, devs, etc, grow up with good shit. But that's just me and I'm drunk.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. c u in da ballpit ashren Novice

c u in da ballpit ashren
    Holy shit I've seen this before, and I'm sort of interested. I really love Dead State Reanimated and thought it was wasted abandoned potential, so seeing this is just making me hope they fulfill that potential instead.
    Didn't know Microprose is back either, I would probably make a whole quip about how it's the people in a company that make it what is, but I'm just glad to see they're back. My example from earlier still stands though. I can still name plenty off the top of my head. Vicarious Visions, Rare, Interplay, Obsidian... it's the people, man. The people make it what it is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Apparently one guy is back in limited-capacity (whatever that means) too, the Stealey guy as mentioned, so I guess it retain some of the original people... in a way :)

Been a long thread going for Urban Strife here on Codex. With one of the devs posting regularly. I loved Dead State, by yeah, it could be improved on many fronts, I'm hoping this game is it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. c u in da ballpit ashren Novice

c u in da ballpit ashren
    IIRC, Phoenix Point was made by the big daddy of XCOM himself. But it turned out shit, so that's got me scratching my head figuring that out.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Bit of an oddity that game. In the end I liked it, but the development was filled with questionable decisions. The gameplay isn't all that great, but I thought the dystopian Lovecraftian setting made up for it, I liked the narrative.

^ Top  
  11. c u in da ballpit ashren Novice

c u in da ballpit ashren
    For me, XCOM's setting is really what set it apart. It made the mechanics and difficulty compliment it seamlessly, it was also really cool in general to do it all in the style of 90's paranoia about UFO's and the common fears surrounding it. Plus they had an ex Marvel-artist doing the artwork and opening, and that really set the tone for me. I actually think Phoenix Point is lacking in that respect. I'm not even really sure what I'm looking at it when I look at Phoenix Point, it simply doesn't look inspired to me. But alternatively, look at XCOM 2, and better yet, put the tactical legacy ost dlc as the soundtrack and it's got what Phoenix Point doesn't have: Passion and style

^ Top  
  12. PrettyDeadman Arcane Patron

PrettyDeadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    why dont they threated with a court or sue the guy responsible for 50% of the game? I am pretty sure intentional sabotage of an enterprise by one of the owner will make that person liable for damages or smh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Probably not, I think it's a product to maximize on whatever fad what was popular at the time. Example, the game went from ragtag bunch of soldiers to Halo looking guys etc. I was really sold on the narrative though, the extra reading material that was released, and the ingame lore and such is really well done I think. But man, I do still feel it could have been so much better in a lot of ways, especially now when it was leaked how much money they got from EPIC. Not saying throwing money at problem would solve anything, but they weren't starved financially at least and could have made a dream game if Gollop really wanted.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    opening a court case is expensive and it look like they're already out of money. And even then it's not sure they'd win against the co-owner

• feels good man feels good man x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Not to mention that this is just a typical "project management scapegoat" story.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Just like you said, different leadership and probably different team as well so they didn't achieve anything yet.
    Sure, backing Urban Strife seems like a great move and the game is appealing but it's not released yet so we don't know how it'll turn out.

As far as i'm concerned, new Microprose is just like NuXCOM or NuFallout, they're just using a famous name.
    Let's see if they can live up to it...

c u in da ballpit ashren
    You lost me at Nintendo, seriously...
    But if you like X-COM and Dead State, you can't be that bad.

^ Top  
  17. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    they should just do another kickstarter

simps would pay

• Funny Funny x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Because the entire story is just a giant pile of shit that only serves the purpose of placating "fans".

The first game failed because "the publisher was a meanie and a bully".

Now this one failed because "the other owner is a meanie and a bully".

It's all bullshit. The first one failed because they didn't meet their deadlines, the publisher had nothing to do with it. For Realms Beyond there's probably a similar explanation, but "it's not our fault, guys, seriously, it's all on the bad guys!" allows them not to take responsibility, so that they won't look bad when their next kickstarter launches.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    People think filing lawsuits is so cheap, quick, and easy, for people whose entire project is spiralling, right

(Not that I fully believe the above story, either.)

^ Top  
  20. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    This probably doesn't mean much but RB is mentioned in today's press release about Asian release of Gamedec, as part of RPG catalog of the local publisher.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres..._cyberpunk_RPG__Gamedec__to_Asian_Markets.php

This Chinese publisher had RB in their catalog (as they provide Chinese localization) way before things have gone, eh, bleak, so this is not quite a life sign.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Aemar Arcane

Aemar
    ^ Top  
  22. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MrBuzzKill Arbiter

MrBuzzKill
    Can I get an informative TL;DR on this? what happened? I was hoping to see a demo of it on the Steam RPG festival thing.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    1. They fucked up.
    2. The project is dead.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    :dead:

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.