Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen - Chaos Chronicles reborn and dead again

Ghulgothas

Arcane
WotC has no idea what they're doing. If they had, we'd be swimming in officially licensed D&D CRPGs. 3rd edition, 4th edition, 5th edition would all have a dozen proper CRPGs to their name, but they don't.

It's up to the indies to make actual D&D CRPGs based on the OGL rulesets (Realms Beyond, Solasta, Knights of the Chalice), while officially licensed products are things like this:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/627690/Idle_Champions_of_the_Forgotten_Realms/
And this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mfjdNf0SDY

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
It's called "Dark Alliance?" FFS they can't even be arsed to come up with new names for their shit games
tenor.gif

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
We are talking about a company that owns both the Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering franchises and only recently started publishing crossover products.

The only plausible explanation is that they hate money more than Pierre Begue does.

Mortmal

Arcane
WotC has no idea what they're doing. If they had, we'd be swimming in officially licensed D&D CRPGs. 3rd edition, 4th edition, 5th edition would all have a dozen proper CRPGs to their name, but they don't.

It's up to the indies to make actual D&D CRPGs based on the OGL rulesets (Realms Beyond, Solasta, Knights of the Chalice), while officially licensed products are things like this:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/627690/Idle_Champions_of_the_Forgotten_Realms/
They have their moment of sanity, first when they designed 5e, then giving to larian the license, finally a pro studio. But that's clearly not enough , there's room for lot more . I could buy dozen of d&d rpg too. What do they release now ? Magic the gathering world books , for fast cash grabs. I dont even know if that's profitable, i only got one player who wanted to try them, all the others were not interested at all to say the least .I do understand why they only release campaign books however , they are harder to pirate and photocopy than adventures.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
pirate and photocopy

Irrelevant today because RPG books tend to be released digitally as PDFs anyway.

It's ridiculous how WotC is treating their potential cashcow franchises, especially considering how popular and mainstream D&D has become nowadays (just look at stuff like Critical Role, this shit is mainstream).

Back in the 90s TSR went wild, there were so many D&D PC games, both real RPGs and other genres. But TSR also went a bit overboard with different settings and sourcebooks and adventures to the point they over-saturated the market. Still a better approach than WotC's utter ignorance.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

It really is amazing how retarded WotC is.
Maybe my perception is skewed from being on the Codex, but weren't the IE games and NWN1&2 pretty big hits, sales-wise? Not sure about ToEE, but still, relatively faithful adaptations of the rules were proven to make money. After SCL flopped this should be obvious to any thinking person but they keep making garbage like you just posted, whereas Paizo and a no-name Russian studio appear to have hit on a winning model for officially licensed D&D games.

Get woke go broke.

Quote from that Idle Chumpions link:

“What’s really cool about Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms is the game actually has a story structure.”
Kotaku

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

It really is amazing how retarded WotC is.
Maybe my perception is skewed from being on the Codex, but weren't the IE games and NWN1&2 pretty big hits, sales-wise? Not sure about ToEE, but still, relatively faithful adaptations of the rules were proven to make money. After SCL flopped this should be obvious to any thinking person but they keep making garbage like you just posted, whereas Paizo and a no-name Russian studio appear to have hit on a winning model for officially licensed D&D games.

Get woke go broke.

Quote from that Idle Chumpions link:

“What’s really cool about Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms is the game actually has a story structure.”
Kotaku
Paizo is a way more woke company than
WotC (historically at least) but I bet Kingmaker made way more money than SCL.

Desiderius

Patron

Woke = allergic to tradition. In this context that's the kind of traditional games we like. Obv Paizo wasn't or they wouldn't have made the games they did. WotC doesn't make them because they can't bear to think of us as human.

Desiderius

Patron

Woke = allergic to tradition. In this context that's the kind of traditional games we like. Obv Paizo wasn't or they wouldn't have made the games they did. WotC doesn't make them because they can't bear to think of us as human.

Despair is arrogance. WotC did some good things back in the day. I've still got some boxes of Revised around here somewhere (and Fallen Empires). They'll pull their heads out of their asses eventually.

Drowed

Arcane
(just look at stuff like Critical Role, this shit is mainstream)

Google. Let's search for "Critical Role". click on the first result. ... ...

WTF is this shit? How is that popular/mainstream? What the fuck is wrong with WotC, it's amazing how some companies are literally sitting on mountains of money and doing nothing with it. Fuck.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't say D&D and Critical Role are *mainstream* in the sense Marvel movies are mainstream. It's just that the advent of the internet made it possible for both more nerds to congregate in one (digital) spot and more people to find this hobby. D&D is still niche in the grand scheme of things.

Mortmal

Arcane
1 million subs on reddit in r/dnd still and there's a few other subs. Even if all they do is linking character art. R/gaming is 26 million, so yes its still pretty niche.

Desiderius

Patron
(1) The competent hire progtards to show how with it and open-minded they are.

(2) The progtards hire suck-ups because they're narcissistic shitheads.

(3) The suck-ups suck at everything but sucking up, so they hire fuck-ups to make themselves look better by comparison.

(4) The fuck-ups fuck up.

WotC is at step (4).

DeepOcean

Arcane
WotC is a subsidiary of Hasbro, big companies are bureaucratic, yes men hellholes, where the left hand dont know what the right hand is doing, entertainment industries are even worse as suits are fucking shit at anything that isnt making money and creative types are weirdos that smoke too much pot and maybe like being fucked by their wives and other strange fetishes and cant get shit done unless they are leashed in public square into compliance.

So the two heads dont know enough to actually have an coherent tought, so you get products that on Excel spreadsheets would make sense but bomb because nobody gives a shit or the art fags decide to make products about their fetishes without supervision and a few good leashings and they bomb as well. On some rare occasions, some guy that is actually fully intelligent and dominate both parts of his brain actually produce a good product that will soon be milked into the oblivion by the following army of half brained shit heads and then the cycle begins again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom