Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of Antiquity: The Shattered Crown - Ultima-like retro RPG

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
adamantyr do you think this would run on a Tandy 1000HX? If so, I will go through the rigmarole of installing it on a 3.5 inch and giving it a whirl.
Er, no? :) Wasn't planning a Tandy or CoCo port, sorry. :D

Oh hey, just realised the physical collectors Ed is still available! :D
I can recommend it, sturdy box and good goodies, much better than most kickstarter editions
Yeah, highly recommended, it has it's permanent place of honor on my shelve. A beautiful box, carefully crafted manual and a lovely cloth map. I love open it now and then, it gives me exactly that warm, cozy feeling boxed games back in the heydays gave me, feels like a relict from the 80ies. Like a world in itself.
I do have to say that I'd love to get the "deluxe" map too - alas shipping to my country is more expensive than the map itself. :(
Yep, I think I got three CE's left now. But several deluxe maps. Get them while you can!

Yeah, the shipping these days international is just brutal. Plus I have to constantly watch and track it to make sure it gets to where it needs to. Some countries are really good at returning data to USPS, others are not. In some cases I've had to email the recipients to ask them if they got the package yet!
Yeah, shipping costs have increased worldwide and it's a real pain. Still I find the 17 USD shipping plus 4 USD "handling fee" a bit extree. Couldn't the cloth map be folded and put in a simple envelope? Anyway, at least I have the deluxe map as a pdf.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Thanks, from the description it sounds like it is the same cloth map as the one in the Collector's Edition box, though I remember you talking about an even more Deluxe map with some extra detail. So, is that the "more" deluxe map or just the one from the box?

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

Thanks, from the description it sounds like it is the same cloth map as the one in the Collector's Edition box, though I remember you talking about an even more Deluxe map with some extra detail. So, is that the "more" deluxe map or just the one from the box?
That's the deluxe map, not in the original collector's edition, only the deluxe collector's edition which was only sold through Kickstarter.

It has two major differences:
1) It's bigger.
2) Areas on the map that were not detailed before, such as the end game areas, are fully detailed upon it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

That's the deluxe map, not in the original collector's edition, only the deluxe collector's edition which was only sold through Kickstarter.

1) It's bigger.
2) Areas on the map that were not detailed before, such as the end game areas, are fully detailed upon it.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Given the quality of the box and seeing how to me at least it's actually better than a lot of the CEs I got from various Kickstarter, did you lose any money on them or was it barely break even?

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer

1) It's bigger.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

Given the quality of the box and seeing how to me at least it's actually better than a lot of the CEs I got from various Kickstarter, did you lose any money on them or was it barely break even?
Hard to say, really. I did charge more than the costs to make the items was, so in theory I did. I never really added up the numbers to be sure. :)

Just started another playthrough this week. Now I got to the Plains Dragon. That damn thing always uses its mean "devour" ability and kills me instantly. Is there any way to counter this attack? Neither protection spells nor blur seems to have any effect. I can't remember this rather annoying ability from my first playthrough. Has it been patched in?

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
Just started another playthrough this week. Now I got to the Plains Dragon. That damn thing always uses its mean "devour" ability and kills me instantly. Is there any way to counter this attack? Neither protection spells nor blur seems to have any effect. I can't remember this rather annoying ability from my first playthrough. Has it been patched in?
Yeah, I gave all dragons the devour ability. There's no counter to it, but it's a rare attack and can only be done on adjacent targets.

Yeah, I gave all dragons the devour ability. There's no counter to it, but it's a rare attack and can only be done on adjacent targets.
In my case it definitively isn't a rare attack. Damn beast uses it the whole time, as soon as it's close enough. And there seems to be no way to keep it at bay.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
You’re playing solo?
Yeah, as Hero class.
As the solo master, I herby recommend you play statistically. Allow max 1 dragon melee attack per turn (if at all). Hit and run sideways to avoid cone attack and force a move. When you have a choice between another attack on the dragon and being 2 steps away, walk away.
If you absolutely cannot beat it, it means you’re still underpowered. Come back later when your attacks do 3x the damage and the battle lasts 3x fewer turns, or with something like the ||singing mace|| that will confuse it.
Also, your AP number is key. The more AP, the more attacks and steps at the end of the turn between you and the dragon.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Of course you already know that, but for others who have yet to play, each enemy has a reduce number which affects you a lot more when you are weaker. Say you hit for 10, reduce is 6. Final damage is 4. If you hit for 14 (40% increase) your final damage is 8 (100% increase) and the battle lasts half as many rounds.

That’s not counting the increase in hit % as you train or get better weapons. This calculations goes like this: attacker rolls 1d16+melee/ranged, defender rolls 1d16+defense. If attacker roll exceeds, it’s a hit.

Of course you already know that, but for others who have yet to play, each enemy has a reduce number which affects you a lot more when you are weaker. Say you hit for 10, reduce is 6. Final damage is 4. If you hit for 14 (40% increase) your final damage is 8 (100% increase) and the battle lasts half as many rounds.

That’s not counting the increase in hit % as you train or get better weapons. This calculations goes like this: attacker rolls 1d16+melee/ranged, defender rolls 1d16+defense. If attacker roll exceeds, it’s a hit.
Thank you for your help. I'm indeed at a very low level as of now (4...). I think I'll let these oversized lizards alone for a while... ;)
I still think the beast's devour-action should have a random factor instead of being sudden death for the player. It should not be successful by default. Especially higher level characters should be able to dodge it.

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Okay level 4 is not going to make it statistically. Come back later. Devour was added later due to… some of us… (ahem…) rolling over all the bosses with impunity.

In any case you’re not supposed to be able to beat any dragon solo level 4. That thing is considered a miniboss. Come back at level 6 or 7 at least.

And btw, in case you hadn’t seen it, I have a Solo Hero guide up on Steam.

Okay level 4 is not going to make it statistically. Come back later. Devour was added later due to… some of us… (ahem…) rolling over all the bosses with impunity.

In any case you’re not supposed to be able to beat any dragon solo level 4. That thing is considered a miniboss. Come back at level 6 or 7 at least.

And btw, in case you hadn’t seen it, I have a Solo Hero guide up on Steam.
Thanks! I'll consult your guide. In my first playthrough I managed to beat the dragon that is guarding that hellish dungeon west of Port Bonifice at a low level (with some help by Doran) so I thought I'll try my luck here too... ;)

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Well I was curious and went back in with a hero, stats 10-8-8-10 (optimized).
I did Alpthorpe, then killed the hound and did the priory, then Mondular and went to the dragon. At that point I was level 5, with all skill points allocated to defense (classic solo technique). I was using the Athame and runed leather, hide shield and the 4 spellbooks I needed.
Before hitting the dragon I cast protect (for more damage reduction) and mindshield which is necessary because the dragon can put you to sleep.
I went in and just slammed him with shock wave spells, moving aside at the end of the turn. I had no trouble dispatching him multiple times. Once was even easier than the others because I could hide behind 2 boulders and he couldn't reach me into melee range. But still, in the other cases the battle never lasted more than 5 rounds I think.

Be aware that the dragon will also cast Protect. Slam him with the shock waves as much as you can before he's protected.

Well I was curious and went back in with a hero, stats 10-8-8-10 (optimized).
I did Alpthorpe, then killed the hound and did the priory, then Mondular and went to the dragon. At that point I was level 5, with all skill points allocated to defense (classic solo technique). I was using the Athame and runed leather, hide shield and the 4 spellbooks I needed.
Before hitting the dragon I cast protect (for more damage reduction) and mindshield which is necessary because the dragon can put you to sleep.
I went in and just slammed him with shock wave spells, moving aside at the end of the turn. I had no trouble dispatching him multiple times. Once was even easier than the others because I could hide behind 2 boulders and he couldn't reach me into melee range. But still, in the other cases the battle never lasted more than 5 rounds I think.

Be aware that the dragon will also cast Protect. Slam him with the shock waves as much as you can before he's protected.
I was able to beat the Plains Dragon - thanks to a boulder in it's way. I used Shock Wave to fry it. It took some time as it now and then used its sleep spell to knock me out for some turns but it never reached me to devour me. I even think a bug helped me out: The last tiny bit of my endurance/mana bar strangely never got used up. The reward was a bit a disappointment though, just a lousy Sealed Scroll?

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
Yeah if you want to farm the dragons you have to save and reload a lot. The drops are quite random.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom