Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of Quest VI for the Commodore VIC-20 progress thread (currently in early planning stages, or I wish I had more free time)

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
1655708090304.png

(this is just a mockup)

Note to mods: feel free to move this to the appropriate section of the forum, if you feel that it is appropriate.

Dislcaimer: I haven't officially started working on this game yet. I'm mostly dabbling, working on a font (inspired from Diablo, but with some differences) and graphics. Regarding the graphics--I've decided that I want to go for a more authentic feeling where I will work on them pixel-by-pixel as opposed to just simply digitizing images that I find on the internet. While this might take longer, I think the aesthetic will be more consistent and will resemble an actual 1980s RPG game. Take note of the red dragon--I drew it entirely by hand using GIMP, and then converted it to VIC-20 graphics format.

I modified the graphics display routine so that I can show 13*13 characters instead of 11*11. This does mean that I have to sacrifice the lower case characters because more graphics memory will be dedicated to images. Having lower case letters in Realms of Quest V made sense because text was an important part of the game. This time around, I would make Realms VI into a dungeon crawler (it actually takes place in a tower), so there won't be as much importance ascribed to text.

One feature that I want to implement is graph bars to depict health and magic levels (instead of numbers). This will make it better to convey the information of the entire party in a broader and clearer manner.

Realistically, I have about 1-2 hours of free time per week to work on this right now. At the pace that I am going, it might take me about 10 years or so to complete it
:)

Anyway, I will be mainly posting progress updates on my Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/hitfan2000

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom