Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebel Galaxy by Double Damage Games (Travis Baldree/Erich Schafer)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Metro, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    ^ this. Considering this is essentially still the best thing we got since X3 (kinda sad really). What I wouldn't give for another Nexus Jupiter Incident except with C&C.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Isn't X3 ten times deeper? This is only slightly more fleshed out than something like Darkstar One.

^ Top  
  3. Dreaad Arcane

Dreaad
    Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
    Yeah but I'm just talking about overall satisfaction from a product, not necessarily how deep it is.

^ Top  
  4. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Definitely a good value.

^ Top  
  5. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    if we valued only overall satisfaction, jerking off would be the best videogame ever.

^ Top  
  6. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    A game every man plays and knows well, especially now in these dark times ;)

^ Top  
  7. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    It is not really a Freelancer game, more like action version of Starfleet Command but with trading and random missions.

^ Top  
  8. MasterSmithFandango Arcane

MasterSmithFandango
    You know... This game is missing something. What makes games like Pirates! or other ship sims that rely on broadside combat work is a satisfying feeling when unleashing them. If it were a bit slower, and a bit less chaotic, it would feel a lot more fun and satisfying.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Fucking hell.

Had a fighter swarm mission come up as available in the 2nd system for 100k credits. Mission difficulty, apparently, was 'average'. So I'm like, sure, why not.

I get to the designated NAV point and take care of the five or six gunships/fighters. Easy. Too easy. Before I know it, 30+ fighters spawn on all sides, closing in fast. My shields last about six seconds; I'm dead within eight.

There are missions in this game you learn to just not take, until you're overpowered. 'Vulnerable Duo' for example. The 'vulnerable' duo in question being a behemoth and a dreadnought. They were not that vulnerable for my dinky little frigate.

^ Top  
  10. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    It's slower and less chaotic as you ramp up scale, MSF. The really big ships are lumbering beasts. But that's a good comparison, actually. This game can be summed up as Pirates! in space.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. baturinsky Arcane

baturinsky
    Finished the main quest.
    UI is horrible.
    Gameplay is fresh and fun, but gets repetitive after a while. About as soon as (quite short) main quest ends. Overall game feels a bit shallow.
    Most of the game I was running first Mercenary faction ship (don't remember the name, Very Fast/Very Fast and 6 broadsides), Neutron broadsides, Mining turrets and Mine secondary.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    You know, in the description of that quest they even warn you prepare differently for this mission lol. Noobs.. noobs never learn :)

^ Top  
  13. veevoir Klytus, I'm bored Patron

veevoir
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Sturville. This and Minotaur (the other mercenary ship which I dearly love) are the sole reason anything bigger than Minotaur is a waste of time grinding.

Game is good for what it is. Simple, bit shallow, yet mindless fun to space-bikers riffs. Fun was had.

^ Top  
  14. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    That's one way to look at it.

^ Top  
  15. baturinsky Arcane

baturinsky
    I have bought Blackgate (last non-guild ship) after finishing MQ. 20 broadside is amazing. For some reason (bonus for ship's class?) when I use it, range of broadsides are extended beyond listed value, so I barely need to chase anybody to pop.

^ Top  
  16. praetor Arcane

praetor
    it was confirmed by a dev on reddit that certain ships get a range bonus on broadsides (iirc, destroyers and dreads + one of the big ships that is neither, i think it's the mckinley)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Zewp Arcane

Zewp
    Codex 2013
    Tried it for about an hour and it was kinda boring. Combat feels like it has no impact and isn't very satisfying. What am I missing here?

^ Top  
  18. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Nothing. If you're not a fan of the 2D broadside thing you won't like the game. I mentioned earlier it's apparent that most of the people raving over the game have never played stuff like Privateer or Freelancer. It's not a bad game but it doesn't do anything new.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    it's a bad game because it manages to be less fun and more impractical than ass creep 4.

^ Top  
  20. baturinsky Arcane

baturinsky
    I was too not fond of the game in the first ~hour, but it got better when I got the idea of combat mechanics and overall game strategy (i.e. what and how to upgrade).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    And I said earlier this game is not supposed to be like Privateer or Freelance, but like Starfleet Command or Starpoint Gemini 2 but a more action version.

^ Top  
  22. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Filthy Kalinite Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Came for cheap space shooting; stayed for the best rock soundtrack since FlatOut.

^ Top  
  23. WhiteGuts Arcane

WhiteGuts
    That soundtrack, whoever had the idea is a fucking genius. It fits so well. The Firefly vibe is just the cherry on top.

My favorite track being this one :

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    This dirty cheap on gog right now, have never been a huge stargame fan; played a bit of freelancer and Elite back in the day but honestly grindly games are sort of relaxing to me but should I go with this which is supposed to be a lighter take on the elite sort of sim or get an X game instead?

^ Top  
  25. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    A great man once said, this:

As far as this versus X-series... I can't tell you which one you'd enjoy more because it's all based on your taste. X-Series games are very in-depth and take a lot of management. This is a barebones/action oriented game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.