Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent Pokemon X / Y trailer

This might be the chillest trailer I've ever seen. After watching the trailer for the newest Naruto title (two minutes of BLAH BLAH BLAH), I clicked it expecting another guy talking superfast over battle montages. Instead I got five minutes of Masuda calmly talking about the developers' inspirations and goals, while pictures of his trip to France pop up onscreen and elevator music plays on the background.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Why do japanese people always do this weird head bobbling when they talk? I mean this pigeon like, eh, bobbling..

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think it is a way to signal to the other that you are listening. Japanese people do this constantly. They will constantly say "hai" when you talk to them or repeat what you just said. It's part of their culture. That's why a lot of jRPG dialogue looks like this:

A: We have to go the the Shinto Spring!
B: The Shinto Spring?
C: Yes, to free the Princess!
A: Mhm!
B: Ah, so we have to free the princess.
A: Yes!
B: Well, let's go, we should head there right now.
C: Right! Let's go and head there, indeed!

Ah, the usual new generation creativity at work. We had an Ice Cream Pokemon last version so this time we have a ... Sword Pokemon. Very good. Bravo.

Also damn, some Pokemon are hot.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
I feel so sad I don't own a 3DS... :(

Buy a 3ds for SMT IV and FE:A alone

Also holy fuck is Pokemon not the biggest waste of potential ever.

So many cool things can be done with their budget and that concept and yet these fucks make the same shit over and over.

And no finally going to 3d doesn't mean shit.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So, Dragons will now be weak to Fairy Pokemon.

Is this a subtle culture reference of old school masculinity being vulnerable to feminism? Yes, I just did that. :troll:

Although, making Fairy pokemon weak to Fighting is retarded.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So many cool things can be done with their budget and that concept and yet these fucks make the same shit over and over.
Yeah, I was quite disappointed on how the jap bro felt important to highlight how much effort went into making so you can pet and feed pokemons now... still, it's the most popular and successful turn-based RPG ever made... :P

Buy a 3ds for SMT IV and FE:A alone
3DS XL is the way to go. And Etrian Odissey IV is also a reason to buy. Not to mention Tales of Abyss SMT: Soul Hackers remake.

Not broken, don't fix it, etc. WRPGS are always trying to bring innovashun into the genre, and you all know how it usually ends.

I think this is because a disciplined warrior wouldn't be fooled by a fairy's tricks. At least, that's why Dark-types (who rely on trickery and cheap shots) are weak to Fighting. No idea why Dragons would be weak to fairies, though. Maybe some Japanese folklore thing?

Speaking of weaknesses, I think Fairy types will be weak to Steel. Would make sense, and offensive Steel moves were borderline useless until now (effective against Rock and Ice types, which are already weak to fucking everything to begin with. Awesome).

Ah, the usual new generation creativity at work. We had an Ice Cream Pokemon last version so this time we have a ... Sword Pokemon. Very good. Bravo.

Don't make me bring up the purple blob of slime who evolves into a bigger purple blob of slime from Red/Blue again, bro

deuxhero

Arcane
They will constantly say "hai" when you talk to them.

Because it means "yes". Saying "yes" to acknowledge you are paying attention when someone wants to speak to you exists in completely the same way in English.

So, Dragons will now be weak to Fairy Pokemon.

Is this a subtle culture reference of old school masculinity being vulnerable to feminism? Yes, I just did that. :troll:

You have the last one the wrong way around: Fairy resists fighting. Both are part of a balancing act (just like steel and dark were) because Fighting and Dragon are over powered.

Haunted swords are classic monsters. It's just the official art that makes it look goofy. During battle it takes off the sheath and looks fine.

The real problem with newer designs is the eyes.

You have the last one the wrong way around: Fairy resists fighting. Both are part of a balancing act (just like steel and dark were) because Fighting and Dragon are over powered.

Well, Bulbapedia is being lazy then. The only thing mentioned on the fairy type's page is their effectiveness against Dragons.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairy_(type)

edit: Also, it would be funny if they created another new type to deal with overpowered things, and let Stealth Motherfucking Rock continue to wreck havoc with impunity. It gets a bit depressing when you're watching matches on youtube and one of the most popular roles in a party alongside "Guy that tanks special hits" and "Guy that is fast and strong" is "Guy that lays Stealth Rocks as soon as possible".

DragoFireheart

Feminists win again! :troll:

deuxhero

Arcane
Because that's all that's confirmed so far. The rest is from a "rumor" that's so far been confirmed 100% otherwise, either from official sources or from the product description of the guide.

deuxhero

Arcane
Gamefreak managed to united a fandom as divided as Pokemon's in agreement that the majority of those look horrible. That's impressive.

Thankfully they are implementing it in a way that they can get rid of them in 4 years (in battle only, require held item).

DragoFireheart

MEGA POKEMON!

I expected an awesome button after seeing the DLC offer for a Torchic holding a Mega Stone.

ps:
They look like shit :lol:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

1240370_714906891859248_604336033_n.jpg

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!

Apparently, those "Mega" evolutions are in-battle boosts, and not a permanent "4th stage" addition to the mechanics. I'm not sure if they look horrible (in fact, they look too similar to their previous evolutions - Venusaur has a flower on his forehead now, RUINED FOREVER), just an...unnecessary gimmick. If they want to do something about the power creep by making the old pokes viable again, just rejigger their stats and moves a bit. If they want to keep the monsters interesting, add types and unique moves. THEY GOT STRENGER NOWS sounds like a lazy way of doing it. At least Digimon were affected by emotions, so there was at least some justification as to why the little lizard turned into a giant dracolich from hell, instead of a simple firebreathing tyranosaur like usual. According to the trailer here, the trainers just press a "Power Up!!!" button on their watches. :/

deuxhero

Arcane
It was easily the worst Nintendo direct ever in the west.

As for the Mega Forms: The giant cannon on the back doesn't even get used, it launches attacks from its mouth (which they actually got right all the way back in Pokemon Stadium).

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Pokemons have always looked dumb and goofy, those mega forms aren't much different. As long as the battle mechanics continue to evolve in fun and interesting ways, it makes no difference to me what they look like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom