Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommed me some LAN games

sqeecoo

Arcane
So anyway, me and 3 of my friends are having a geeky lan "party" in a few days. So what are some good games to play casually and are easy to learn?

We've all played CS, SC, and Defcon, but not much else. I'm thinking maybe Worms. What's the best version of that?

Thanks!

Casus belli

Liturgist
SWAT 4 is pretty fun. No One Lives Forever 2 has a fairly good co-op mode too. Rainbow Six Raven Shield also has one, although I've never played it. If you're feeling consoletardish, you can try the next-gen Vegas iterations. Arma 2 can be pretty fun, but it's harder to learn, and you'll need to find missions that can be played with fewer people. If you have good computers, GTA 4 is a must, but play only on free mode, the missions available are not much fun. On the strategy side, Civ 4 is fairly easy to learn (I think), the total war series can be fun, HoI 2 also, although it's much harder to learn.

That's all I can think of for now, if I remember something I'll add it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Diablo 1
Quake 1
Worms are nice simply in Hot Seat, on one PC

And frankly, my favourite multiplayer in any game was always split screen in Fatal Racing / Whiplash (don't know why the game was released under different titles in different countries). I'm not sure if the game has LAN support .

relootz

Scholar
Games i use on lan

Unreal Tournament (1999) works on every single pc that is 8 years old and it is still a great game.

Starcraft.

Get a racegame for some variation, try to find one that has a destruction mode.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There's a Doom 3 co-op mod if you're interested - http://doom3coop.com/

Also, Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 for some more cooperative gameplay (pretty fun, since you're not gonna have problems communicating).

Jedi Academy if you guys are into Star Wars - some kickass lightsaber duels in this one.

Ashery

Prophet
Alien Swarm, mod for UT'04 if you're looking for coop.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The best game for LAN is of course Civilization, but you need a full weekend and some serious organising for that.

You're spot on with SC, and I support whoever suggested Serious Sam and Doom3 co-op.

If you like Magic the Gathering, modded Duel of the Planeswalkers with Manalink is fun.

I heartily recommend the "Duel"-portion of HoMMV for fun breaks. It's quite good, and it doesn't matter that the balance is horribly off as long as you only use the it for breaks from the serious gaming. This applies to Worms too. It's seldom fun for more than an hour.

Blood Bowl is insanely fun if everybody owns a copy and you got internet connection.

Other than that, most games I'd recommend for LAN would consume the full time of the LAN, such as HoMMV (the normal part of the game) and IWD/BG.

Quilty

Magister
Here's another vote for SWAT 4. One of my favorite LAN games, apart from Diablo 2.

Multi-headed Cow

sqeecoo said:
So anyway, me and 3 of my friends
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Call of Duty World at War zombie mode
Supreme Commander with Forged Alliance expansion and Sorian AI mod, co-op against the AI
A good hack and slash dungeon crawling NWN1 module

Multi-headed Cow

barker_s said:
Jedi Academy if you guys are into Star Wars - some kickass lightsaber duels in this one.
That's an excellent suggestion. Playing duel mode in JK2 is great, sort of a PC fighting game, and I gather Academy is the same only more. It's not co-op but rounds are pretty quick and it can be a real blast and gives you some breathing room to learn. If you get killed quick, you'll spectate the other fights and be learning.

Hory

Erudite
Carmageddon, but you're probably not men enough for it.

Dire Roach

Prophet
The "best version" of Worms you're looking for is probably Armageddon or World Party.

Co-op games are best for small LAN parties. Old FPSs like Doom, Duke 3D, and Serious Sam are excellent if your buddies are capable of suppressing their inner graphix-whore. If they're not, then try SWAT 4, Killing Floor, or UT2K4's Invasion mode (and download the Alien Swarm mod while you're at it). Diablo and its clones are another great option, and Borderlands isn't too bad if you want it in FPS form.

Multi-headed Cow

Killing Floor WOULD be good if the pirate version lets your classes level up/classes work at all. My half-assed dicking with running multiple copies of KF from the same Steam account in offline mode on multiple machines seemed to work except for no classes whatsoever, not even level 1 versions. Since the classes are tied to Steamworks and your Steam account, in offline mode it takes a shit.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Serious Sam: Second Encounter Co-op, of course.

Cossacks is really fun, too. my friends and I were laughing our asses off when one of them sent twelve 100+ companies of pikemen towards grapeshot cannons. Good times.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Junior Boy said:
Team Fortress 2 is a great LAN game.

Wait, Half Life 2 Deathmatch = perfect.

Yeah, there's something about killing someone with a toilet bowl that just never gets old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom