Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend game development kits or modding tools to a beginner

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
If you're looking for premade RPGs that have custom toolkits allowing you to create an RPG, here are all that I can think of off the top of my head:

Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures
Dungeon Craft (in development)
IceBlink Engine
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Online
Fallout 3
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
Shadowrun Returns
Divinity: Original Sin
Arcanum
The Bard's Tale Construction Kit
RPGMaker
Dungeon Siege

I'm sure there are others. Maybe this will get you on the path to where you need to be. You clearly want to create an RPG using someone else's system versus creating your own. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, as plenty of us have done it over the years. You might find your design lost in the mass of hundreds of others if it's not original enough or interesting enough to stand out (unless you use "The Bard's Tale Construction Kit," in which case your competition will be minimal).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Dungeon Craft isn't at 100% and has a lot of bugs and kinks that need to be worked out. It's usable, but not at the 1.0 release yet, so anyone who uses it should be aware that it is still in development and some features may not always work as expected.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Dungeon Craft isn't at 100% and has a lot of bugs and kinks that need to be worked out. It's usable, but not at the 1.0 release yet, so anyone who uses it should be aware that it is still in development and some features may not always work as expected.

Okay, cool. I myself tried it for a bit a while back but found it way too tricky and just postponed it (indefinitely). Tried it out with a test module from the site though, and it looked pretty good. The module itself was shit though.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

Okay, cool. I myself tried it for a bit a while back but found it way too tricky and just postponed it (indefinitely). Tried it out with a test module from the site though, and it looked pretty good. The module itself was shit though.

Do you mean that you tried the editor itself or that you tried a module?

If you found the editor hard to use, you should go to the Dungeon Craft official forums and tell them about why you found it difficult. You can find them here: http://ua.reonis.com

They're always looking for feedback to make the thing more user friendly.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
I was looking for something a bit more intuitive at the time; just didn't have the patience for it. Will probably check it out some day though. I would definitely be interested in implementing some of the classic D&D modules with it. I haven't checked the forums yet. Do they plan to provide ample documentation for it? Have they done so already?

J1M

Arcane
Nooby noob. Can't code at all.

Good luck then.
Here's a solid advice, learn how to code.
It's very important in making video games, especially good ones.

Which is why there are development kits that do the coding for you.

There are also editors for existing games. If the existing games are "good ones", then obviously it should be possible to make a "good one" by using the same editor that the developers used.

There are also kits and editors for engines like unity.

If you cannot recommend any of these, then you are too early.
It sounds like you know everything, so why not just answer your own question?

nomask7

Arcane
Nooby noob. Can't code at all.

Good luck then.
Here's a solid advice, learn how to code.
It's very important in making video games, especially good ones.

Which is why there are development kits that do the coding for you.

There are also editors for existing games. If the existing games are "good ones", then obviously it should be possible to make a "good one" by using the same editor that the developers used.

There are also kits and editors for engines like unity.

If you cannot recommend any of these, then you are too early.
It sounds like you know everything, so why not just answer your own question?

I already did, at least twice in this same thread. I use Stencyl, which uses blocks of pseudo code so you can program without knowing a programming language. It's a great piece of software for someone like me. Is it my fault if you aren't paying attention?

Destroid

Arcane
Just learn to code nomask7, the power to realise anything you can imagine makes you feel like a wizard with rainbows shooting out of your fingertips.

nomask7

Arcane
No, no! Don't tempt me!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom