Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a book for learning C#, if you already know some C++

desocupado

Magister
Pretty much what the title says.

I want to learn C#, but I don't want a book for complete begginers at programming (and not something geared towards veterans, either, I'm far from that).

J1M

Arcane
Pretty much what the title says.

I want to learn C#, but I don't want a book for complete begginers at programming (and not something geared towards veterans, either, I'm far from that).
I was in the same boat a few(?) years ago. I decided to read the C# language specification. It's not as dry as it sounds.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7029

If you have Java experience, this is a good/funny introduction:
http://www.slideshare.net/jeffz/why-java-sucks-and-c-rocks-final

I made this thread a couple of years ago that has an introduction to using C# with XNA for building games:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/xna-c-development-simple-q-a-thread.73264/

Since then, I've transitioned from XNA to Unity. (That is not a ringing endorsement of Unity, it is just something that I felt like learning.) It was relatively painless, but I wouldn't recommend trying to learn C# by using Unity. Unity does not come with the amazing debug tools that you will have access to if you go the XNA route. If you are asking to learn about C# because Unity is your final goal, I would recommend getting a grasp on the language elsewhere first.

desocupado

Magister
Thanks.

I'm just trying to learn the language, figure out how to work with windows forms and maybe tinker with xna game development.

I have some (not much, and I probably forgot it all already) experience with C++, and while I'm by no means a decent programmer (it's a hobby that sparks once in a blue moon), reading all over again about variables and indentation like I never saw them before is a waste of time.

I'll check out the specification.

J1M

Arcane
Thanks.

I'm just trying to learn the language, figure out how to work with windows forms and maybe tinker with xna game development.

I have some (not much, and I probably forgot it all already) experience with C++, and while I'm by no means a decent programmer (it's a hobby that sparks once in a blue moon), reading all over again about variables and indentation like I never saw them before is a waste of time.

I'll check out the specification.
Feel free to tag me in a post if you have questions. I should still have the XNA thread on watch if you'd prefer to ask them there.

Destroid

Arcane
If you know C++ you shouldn't have much problem just jumping in right away and looking up whatever you want to do in the reference docs.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I was in the same boat a few(?) years ago. I decided to read the C# language specification. It's not as dry as it sounds.

Funny is how cryptic the code looks that autor thinks is totally awesome. I can imagine, what a nightmare it would be to code and test and then to maintain a large scale project using yield/functional features etc.

J1M

Arcane

Funny is how cryptic the code looks that autor thinks is totally awesome. I can imagine, what a nightmare it would be to code and test and then to maintain a large scale project using yield/functional features etc.
Senior software architects rarely find themselves in the position of having to maintain code. They are senior and architects so they are always designing on the next new project (tm). Thus, it is not a prime consideration for them. Some people aspire to those positions.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I went through a few C# books, some less dry than others. I liked this one best because it wasn't so boring. You might skim a few chapters. I also skipped the Windows 8 stuff but the rest of it kept me interested.

Head First C#, 3rd Edition
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920027812.do

Of course, I still don't know what the heck I'm doing, I'm still just a hack so maybe it isn't so good after all.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Senior software architects rarely find themselves in the position of having to maintain code. They are senior and architects so they are always designing on the next new project (tm). Thus, it is not a prime consideration for them. Some people aspire to those positions.
Not sure what you mean, is the guy some kind of guru? Then why praising a languange when it does not matter(i.e. if he's working on a higher level anyway)?

J1M

Arcane
Not sure what you mean, is the guy some kind of guru? Then why praising a languange when it does not matter(i.e. if he's working on a higher level anyway)?
I don't know. Probably not. It was intended as general commentary.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I never used a book. "Learning" c# did not take more than a few weeks. Previous experience with other languages is of course important.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Effective COBOL.

OP:

- do you know C++ (98, 03, 11?) or do you only think so?
- why the hell would you use C# then?

Norfleet

My advice is that you don't need a book of any kind to learn C#. I was initially expoesd to C through various unix-related things, C++ followed naturally, and C# was something I picked up from disassembling and modding a game. Not once have I actually viewed an actual book, yet I still have a reasonable grasp of all these things. If you do something wrong, the compiler will yell at you, and you google that and figure out what the hell it means. Programming is progamming, and a language that is so obviously derivative of something you already know should not really be any kind of issue. Just find something that already exists that you have an interest in, take it apart and see how it is wired, and you're good to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom