Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a RTS with good sp campaign

Mark Richard

Arcane
Another mention for Dawn of War: Winter Assault. It has a good & evil campaign, with two races in each one forming a tenuous alliance. Watching the Chaos and Ork leaders bicker like a couple of supervillains planning to betray each other at the first opportunity is jolly good fun.

Cael

Arcane
The original Red Alert is definitely one of the better ones. I also liked Tiberium Sun (C&C2), but I think it is because James Earl Jones, Michael Biehn and that woman who played Umagon stole the show.

Supreme Commander and Supreme Commander forged alliance had really cool campaigns.

I also liked AoEIII campaigns, though they aren't top-tier.

Also, while I'm not the biggest fan myself, many ppl like stronghold.

Oh and Seven Kingdoms 2 had a cool campaign, though procedurally generated.

Suicidal

Arcane
As for classic base building: have you played the Command & Conquer games?

Red Alert 2, beat the whole game when I was younger. Worth of a replay? Whole series, or just particular games?

I remember liking all C&C games' campaigns except for Red Alert 3, even though it was my favorite Red Alert game mechanically.

RA 3's campaign suffers greatly from forced coop and if you play alone you'll be saddled with an AI companion which steals your resources and hogs your fun. Also the characters in the cutscenes were not as memorable as in RA 2 even though the game had some big name actors like George Takei and Tim Curry. If you like the game itself, then the campaign is worth a play through, but if you're a newcomer then I doubt it will sell you the game.

Also avoid C&C 4. That game is an abomination and is barely an RTS.

Some other stuff worth mentioning:

Warzone 2100 - a pretty unique game where you research and design your own units that features a campaign where you build on a map that expands with every mission and your base remains forever and later when you move on to other maps you can send yourself reinforcements from your other bases on previous maps. It's now freeware so no harm in giving it a shot.

Armies of Exigo - a shameless Starcraft/Warcraft clone that I really liked. Features some unique mechanics like a surface/underground layered map and the campaign was pretty fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
9317.jpeg

Bulgarian-made Age of Empires clone in a fantasy setting, where both heroes and regular units gain experience and level up, there's classic AoE style basebuilding, your heroes progress through the campaign with you, etc. The only thing that sucks big time is the pathfinding, holy shit even AoE1 didn't have that bad of a pathfinding. Also some of the campaign missions are pretty tough, but if you over-level your heroes they're going to be invincible killing machines. It's also available for cheap on GoG and Steam.

Then there's Castle Strike, it's kinda like Stronghold but in 3D:
222378-castle-strike-windows-screenshot-battling-uphill-with-ballistae.png

The pathfinding is also kinda shit but the sieges are fun. The campaign is pretty long and tells the story of a German knight, it's decent historical fantasy.

No Man's Land is an RTS set in colonial America:
0_1.jpg

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World is an RTS made by people who worked on Empire Earth, but it is focused on the medieval to modern eras and has great campaigns:
c71ee717cfe721e9dfb51f3689b9341d4e481087c60cbc0cdcef451d239af80c_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

You got a medieval England campaign, an early modern Korea campaign, and a WW2 campaign, all of which are fun.

catfood

AGAIN
Netstorm. You can get it for free from netstormhq.net and experience one of the most unique games ever made. It's not for the faint of heart, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Well, the title. I wanna play classic style RTS game.

Its been a long time since I actively played RTS games, and I did get some itch to do so again. I'm also in it mainly for SP campaign - the requirement is that its a good game, but bonus points for sum storyfaggotry. Also, the newer it is (or rather, the shinier), the better. Im aware of the fact that RTS genre has declined incredibly, and that there are next to none new ones, but still, shiny graphics are a nice bonus. I have nothing against playing games from 90s tho.

Warcraft III and Starcraft are ones i know by heart by now, I also fucking love Warlords Battlecry III, even tho its clunky and unbalanced as hell. I just love the "RPG elements" in terms of a hero you carry over from game to game, and retinue mechanic was great fun. I also enjoyed Battle Realms immensely, not sure why.

I gave Spellforce 1 a try rather recently, but it aged terribly. The quests are bad, the dialogues fucking terrible, voices overdone etc. I didnt make it far (just got the elven stone i think) but actual gameplay didnt seem so hot either. Will beat it one day tho, just not today.

So, TLDR - classic RTS game (no "dropship" shit, i wanna build some bases), with great campaign and gameplay. Good story is a huge plus, shiny gfx a small one. Oh, also, no historical/realistic stuff pls. I get it, i respect it, not in the mood for it.
You could try the Kohan Series.

3.jpg

It is not a classic RTS, as you control cities and not bases (you add buildings inside of cities, not on the map), and you have a few companies, not individual units, but the cool part is that you can customize the units in your companies (main soldiers, supports, flank, and hero).
The RPG elements are much lighter than in WBC 3 (your awakened immortals get stronger and gain abilities with experience iirc, but you cannot really customize them).

514MK98EFQL.jpg

It is definitely focused on Macro.

Sins of a Solar Empire, in a completely different genre (4X) is also centered on Macro:

starbase.jpg

But it doesn't really feature a campaign I remember.

galaxy.jpg

It has a ton of cool mods, though.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Then there's Castle Strike, it's kinda like Stronghold but in 3D:
222378-castle-strike-windows-screenshot-battling-uphill-with-ballistae.png

The pathfinding is also kinda shit but the sieges are fun. The campaign is pretty long and tells the story of a German knight, it's decent historical fantasy.
Castle Strike is definitely cool when it comes to assaulting castles (it has battering rams, artillery, siege towers, and you can place units on walls, unlike AoE 2). but the pathfinding is bad indeed.

^ Kohan 2 is also p fun, can second that. It harkens back to when RTS's were popular and games experimented with the formula... Kohan2 was a game that tried to minimize micromanagement, for example.

Black Angel

Arcane
No love for Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings and The Conquerors expansion? To me, personally, they double as historical lessons.

0_1.jpg

Empires: Dawn of the Modern World is an RTS made by people who worked on Empire Earth, but it is focused on the medieval to modern eras and has great campaigns:
c71ee717cfe721e9dfb51f3689b9341d4e481087c60cbc0cdcef451d239af80c_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

You got a medieval England campaign, an early modern Korea campaign, and a WW2 campaign, all of which are fun.
For some reason these looks similar to Age of Empires 3 for me....

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
No love for Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings and The Conquerors expansion? To me, personally, they double as historical lessons.

0_1.jpg

For some reason these looks similar to Age of Empires 3 for me....

Ok how about this one
e4ac4ea591539ef1361fa3b133d3546559a0b5d49d469b02d8f4f9f93be2ffd9.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I am trying to think of one that has not been mentioned already, perhaps Age of Mythology? The novelty was playing with various mythological units, but I remember the missions feeling somewhat grindy or repetitive at times.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
I subscribe most suggestions; so let's go with the not mentioned yet -the two first are "dropshit" but really not shit at all:
-Blitzkrieg: beautiful graphics, challenging gameplay; destroying enemy artillery is really satisfying.
-Ground Control: the sequel and WiC have already been mentioned, but the original is pretty good as well.
-Battle for the Middle Earth: C&C Generals meets LOTR.
-Emperor: Battle for Dune: Dune 2 in 3D with new mechanics and, yes, FMV a là C&C.
-Black Moon Chronicles: weird experiment by Cryo which is actually fun.
-Total Annihilation Kingdoms: often hated by TA fans, but it has an amazing campaign. v1rus , if you try just one from this list, let it be this one.
-Krush, Kill & Destroy: a C&C clone with DINOSAURS and MUTANT MONSTERS in the AUSTRALIAN WASTELAND with FMV. Pure love.
-Celtic Kings: Rage of War someone said TZAR, so why not suggest the next game by the same Bulgarian eurotrashers -I really like it though.
-Battle of the Sands: the Codex seems to dislike it on account of it not being the sequel to KotC, but it's an extremely fast and challenging RTS.

I would like to say Cossacks/American Conquest as well because they're so pretty, but I suck at these games so can't really judge them -never got past the first mission in any campaign :dealwithit:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
This may be cheating, but v1rus have you tried the custom campaigns for WC3? To name a few, Rise of the Blood Elves and Curse of the Forsaken were decent, but there are many other user made campaigns that try to mimic the WC3 campaign.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also fucking love Warlords Battlecry III, even tho its clunky and unbalanced as hell. I just love the "RPG elements" in terms of a hero you carry over from game to game, and retinue mechanic was great fun.
Did you try WBC 1 and 2, then?
Sure, they have less races, etc. but more campaign to play.
Especially WBC 1 has - IIRC correctly, that was REALLY long ago - a more linear campaign structure.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
-Black Moon Chronicles: weird experiment by Cryo which is actually fun.

Black Moon Chronicles is not a good game. I should know, I've played all campaigns twice.

We all like it because of the music and artstyle. Not the gameplay.

Do yourself a favour and read the comics with music in the background. Actually, don't read it, just watch the pretty pictures. The story is based on a cringey homebrew PnP campaign, an embarrassing Wismerhill fap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom