Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendation of rogue-lite games

flyingjohn

Arcane
After having played Isaac ,don't starve and darkest dungeon i was wondering can somebody recommend some good rogue lites?
The problem with other games in this genre that i have seen on steam is that most of them seem to be generic indie games with added unfair difficulty and lots of repetition with little content(rogue legacy,ascendant,wizard lizard etc).

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
FTL a game about space ship management.
Convoy is about vehicular combat.
Both games use RTwP combat system and both are heavily RNG dependent.

edit. Convoy is still buggy mess. Lost all unlocks for some reason.

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
FTL is fucking shit. Avoid.

I recommend Ziggurat - basically Heretic with a level-up mechanic, permadeath and randomly generated levels as well as an assload of different weapons and spells to mess around with.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
FTL is excellent, give it a look. I'd also recommend checking out Spelunky. It's a sort of roguelike platformer. Decent difficulty, but generally very fair, as long as you aren't trying to do a speedrun and take the time to look before you leap.

You might also like Desktop Dungeons, One Way Heroics, or DoomRL. They're all closer to traditional roguelikes, but they have a very smooth difficulty curve so they're easy to get into and they don't require long play sessions.

DoomRL and Spelunky are both free btw, though the paid version of Spelunky has some extra content and polish on it.

If you want something more actiony and pew-pew oriented like Isaac, try checking out Risk of Rain or Nuclear Throne. Be warned though, both games are quite difficult.

Lastly, give Transcendence a look. It's a top down spacefaring shooter, but it has a large randomly generated world each playthough (truly massive if you use the right mod) and a lot of neat things to do on the side, like trading, mining, smuggling, supporting various factions and a bunch of neat little sidequiests. This one is also free, though it has some paid DLC I've never bothered with.

flyingjohn

Arcane
FTL is excellent, give it a look. I'd also recommend checking out Spelunky. It's a sort of roguelike platformer. Decent difficulty, but generally very fair, as long as you aren't trying to do a speedrun and take the time to look before you leap.

You might also like Desktop Dungeons, One Way Heroics, or DoomRL. They're all closer to traditional roguelikes, but they have a very smooth difficulty curve so they're easy to get into and they don't require long play sessions.

DoomRL and Spelunky are both free btw, though the paid version of Spelunky has some extra content and polish on it.

If you want something more actiony and pew-pew oriented like Isaac, try checking out Risk of Rain or Nuclear Throne. Be warned though, both games are quite difficult.

Lastly, give Transcendence a look. It's a top down spacefaring shooter, but it has a large randomly generated world each playthough (truly massive if you use the right mod) and a lot of neat things to do on the side, like trading, mining, smuggling, supporting various factions and a bunch of neat little sidequiests. This one is also free, though it has some paid DLC I've never bothered with.
Thanks for the recommendations and especially for Transcendence, i love space exploration games but never heard about this and its free for added bonus.

TripJack

Hedonist
teleglitch is a nice top-down shooter, gives you the authentic roguelike rape experience too

Gozma

Arcane
Crawl Stone Soup

It's The Real Shit. Undiluted Roguelike. Even regular assholes can play it because it's got a "good interface" and "intelligible graphics" (fags)

(except I can't vouch for the current version because I haven't played it much since 0.7ish)

I liked FTL a lot before I ran it into the ground

Spelunky was too hard for a platformtard like myself

Edit: ALSO while I'm here, for any roguelite people trying to get into klassic true roguelikes like ADOM or Nethack: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PLAY THEM WITH TILE GRAPHICS. They were never properly designed to be played in ways where you have to scroll around constantly to look at the dungeon. Nethack and ADOM both were intended to let you see the entire dungeon floor you are on at all times. Tile hacks for those games fuck up far, far more stuff than they patch up. Crawl's graphics are properly integrated.

Last edited:

AMG

Arbiter
Yeah give real RLs a shot, but I would recommend Brogue instead of Crawl. It is simpler, shorter and clearer. It has tiles if you can't get over ascii. Original Rogue is also a pretty good starting point if you want to venture into the genre.

But on topic, the best in my opinion are:
-FTL
-Invisible Inc.
-Risk of Rain (this one is less awesome than the two above, but I enjoyed it still)
They are all very different, so pick your poison.

Convoy is absolute shit, don't get it.

Edit: Oh right, I forgot, NEO Scavenger is also super awesome.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I second Invisible Inc., FTL and DoomRL. All are excellent roguelite time wasters.

ADOM was probably one of the most user friendly of the "proper" roguelikes. It recently gotten a spanking new tilest and development's been picked up, squashing some of the long-standing bugs.
I think most well known roguelikes have gotten a tileset by this time.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

listen to this guy. Excellent recommendations.
Also try real roguelikes: Brogue, Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, ADOM are among the best, and all of them are free.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I've enjoyed most of the games people have listed, but a part of me thinks that Cardinal Quest 2 might be the place to go. It's free, for one thing. (There's a shop for real money, but I never used it and it never felt very grindy to me.) There's a ton that's clever about the game -- the way it manages to have some narrative with almost no actual text, the way the classes feel so completely different despite a trimmed-down combat system, the way the same class feels totally different at the end than it did at the beginning. I also think the art and sound is neat and the pacing is great. Plus, it has standard rogue turnbased combat, which is nice.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Not quite a roguelike but with some nice elements from the genre, try Dungeon of the Endless. I just bought it and it's a fun timewaster.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
If we are talking about roguelikes, then Cataclysm DDA might be worth mentioning too.
It's still very much work in progress zombie apocalypse survival thing with heavy emphasis on crafting.

toroid

Arcane
Is there a decent chance that the descriptor roguelike will stop being used so damn inappropriately in the indie game scene anytime soon?
It has become more of a warning flag for ignorance and cheap game design than as an accurate indicator of game type. Rogue-lite isn't much better, since it was borne from the need to correct the misuse of roguelike.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Eldritch is a really cool fpp roguelite dungeon crawler inspired by Lovecraft. Its cartoonish graphics might seem inappropriate for the setting, but the game can get pretty tense and even terryfying due to permadeath (and shoggoths, man I hate those).

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Desktop Dungeons is more of a puzzle take on the genre, albeit a pretty good one with a good amount of variety. I am not a fan of games with unlockable content, but it works well in this case and keeps you coming back.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I will add Legend of Dungeon to the list, it's a fun rogue-lite/like with purety pixely graphics and very satisfying when you get the grips of it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom