Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendations for mapmaking and asset platform for upcoming PbP game

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I’m planning to run a play-by-post D&D game soon. I’m looking for a good platform to make maps for scene setting and combat, as well as character tokens.

Roll20 exists, but I’m wondering if people here have better alternatives. If you have a software recommendation, I’d need it to be cross compatible.

My use would be to make the map, with tokens and all, and drop them in the forum as combat or exploration progresses.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Depends on the kind of game you want to do. Roll20 is not bad because it hosts a ton of features and has a big userbase (more info, more support, etc.). I don't use it myself but my friends do when they DM.

Personally I play an old school OSR game, so I draw my dungeon with Grid Cartographer from our local resident developper, I share my screen on discord, and I use another screen to have all my notes and so on. They do their own mapping on a collaborative online software while I move their avatar in a first person way for MAXIMUM IMMERSION.

I don't necessarily suggest everyone do this, it's mostly for dungeon crawling. Outside of that, I just draw stuff on a blank canvas (paint or whatever) and share it.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Depends on the kind of game you want to do.
I'm running a pre-written adventure, which will include combat, dungeon crawling, and exploration. I have basic maps for the town, but I mostly need something for combat or places that the module does not have images for.

Roll20 is not bad because it hosts a ton of features and has a big userbase (more info, more support, etc.).
Roll20 will be my last resort. Grid Cartographer sounds like what I'm looking for. The only hurdle is its Windows only.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Years ago I used MapTool and I liked it pretty well. There was even a library for automating everything in D&D 4e, which was current when I was playing. I don't think it's been updated a lot, and I don't know if there's anything for 5e. But if you just want a server, grid, map, tokens, chat, and dice, then you can use MapTool for anything.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
One of the coolest things with Grid Cartographer is the ability to import your own icons. Get the free ones from https://game-icons.net then import them into GC.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
One of the coolest things with Grid Cartographer is the ability to import your own icons. Get the free ones from https://game-icons.net then import them into GC.
I made a quick encounter map this afternoon and liked how easy it was with a nice, minimal design. I actually just found that icons site while scrolling through /osrg/'s links. Thanks for confirming its credibility.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom