Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Good or shit?

Pegultagol

Erudite
There's nothing quite like it anywhere and it's the most advanced showcase of tech, the open world sandbox benchmark only Rockstar can hope to surpass. That alone makes it worthwhile to experience it once. But the general plot starts off on thin rails and tumbles down quite a trajectory and lands with a thud onto a more complete and better conceived Red Dead Redemption. Come to think of it, play that instead if you haven't.

If you're up for it, I think you can demo the game on free Stadia trial.

This and the Diablo 3 expansion have the dubious honour of being the only 'games' that have managed to put me to sleep, quite literally. I fell asleep while playing them. So, very shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I found it kinda tedious because of its clunky mechanics and focus on immersion over gameplay, but I'd still call it a "good" one of these, i.e. open world marker following games.

El Presidente

Arcane
shitty cowboy story and they never shut the fuck up
Yeah this is a thing now in AAA video games. Remember when Garrett said one line every 60 minutes, and they were all great? Now they have to make a witty comment about every fucking thing in the universe, and since
1. no writer will be able to pull that off
2. when everything deserves a witty remark for being interesting, then nothing really is
it's really not good.

I especially dislike the ones about background. You're running around and your character suddenly goes "my father was a blacksmith. The silent kind, hit the hammer, light the fire, not much time or interest to show affection. Sometimes he would (...)" , Jesus Christ just kill me, that's so fucking bad, shut up no one's interested in your drama crap.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I finished this earlier this year and liked it well enough as a slow, cinematic "art" game. Many frustrating aspects, but not enough to put me off it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Would it be ok to just watch some LP then?

I suppose, though there are a few ~moral choices~ to be made that you wouldn't necessarily agree with as well as specific narrative reactivity for doing things different/in a different order.

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
I want to like this game so much, I would give my right testicle for a good open world wild west / dieselpunk shooter with "rpg elements". But, I swear to God, half of this game is cutscenes and the other half is "click E and then follow yellow line to push the plot further".
Fuck that.

Gerrard

Arcane
I'm incredibly disappointed in you Codex that no one has posted the video where guy goes 10 meters off the path and gets a "Mission failed" screen.

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
That answer is always a cope-out but in this case it's actually warranted: stick to it and it will get better.

Oh, I will stick to it for sure, I really like the story (it's a minor masterpiece in comparison to what currently happens in AAA screenwriting), but the game really wants to be perceived as an immersive sim (behold the horses taking a dump regularly! woohoo!) - but is actually a glorified interactive movie instead.
Suffice it to say it's one of the very few pieces of fiction that made me butthurt about some characters dying.

Undoubtedly worth the 50% off pricetag (thank you Chinese overlords for the lunar Steam sale).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hello all,

I have been getting mixed messages about this game. Hordes of people online reckon it is the 'best game evar' but I have seen a number of quality posters talk about it being more restrictive than the GTA formula. Also talk of a lot of PC bugs, though that was a while ago, so these might be ironed out?

For reference, I enjoyed GTA VC, GTA SA and GTA V.

So is it worth a purchase? Or is it another "Oblibion is the best game evar"?
Shit is in the eye of the beholder.

Sexist RP, don't take seriously:
You're a woman, so you should like a more story-focused game, and besides what would you know about westerns.

GmanLoc

Barely Literate
The best part about Red Dead is that it's a sandbox you can do whatever in. So it sucks that you can't access Mexico, and free roam online blows because R won't leave GTA alone.

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
The best part about Red Dead is that it's a sandbox you can do whatever in.

My biggest beef here is that you are only allowed to do things the game lets you in any given moment. You can't run whenever you want, you can't ride whenever you want, and, the worst of all, you can't access your weapons whenever you want - sometimes the game picks the guns you can use [in a mission] for you. This pissess on the whole "muh immersuv sim" illusion.

This game is a glorified interactive movie.

Maybe if you're an averge certified console retard then such state of affairs is a norm in modern games, I don't know, I hate all this Metal Gear Solid/Dark Souls/God of War/Some-other-rando-push-A-to-do-cool-things-game

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game is a glorified interactive movie.
I see you've never engaged in the routine of living in the woods, killing deer for food and turning in skins for some change which you then spend on poker and whiskey. But that's on you.

The game very intentionally has two distinct "modes" - freeform murderhobo/trapper simulator meant for the boomer audience, and on-rails main missions, targeted at the zoomer console retards. I can say I don't care about my camp buddies one bit and don't see them for weeks.

typical user

Arbiter

Was this posted anywhere here? Guy nails the biggest issues in the game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
I see you've never engaged in the routine of living in the woods, killing deer for food and turning in skins for some change which you then spend on poker and whiskey. But that's on you.

Sounds like what these retards "LARPing" in Skyrim do.

freeform murderhobo/trapper simulator meant for...

Sounds like what I did in Grand Theft Auto when I was twelve.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Sounds like what these retards "LARPing" in Skyrim do.

It's essentially a "boomer who grew up with westerns living out his dreams" gameplay. Which is just fine for me. I'm in a huge sandbox with hunting, gambling, robbing, bounties, secrets, various challenges. Just the sandbox part is huge. I totally agree on the railroaded interactive movie missions and the agenda, but I wouldn't say it destroys the game.

Good for you. The slow paced cowboy larping is just great for me at the age I am today though. I guess Houser was feeling a lot like I do.

BTW when I played the original GTA I never really spent any time larping, just played through the mission chains.

Ezekiel

Arcane

MOVIE GAME

Western AAA games almost all are. Still, it wastes much less of my time by being linear, and has significantly more efficient animations and more competent controls. The only open world game I liked from the last five years was Breath of the Wild.
ancient post but I love the irony of a Kojima drone calling anything a movie game

Don't know how you got the idea I'm a Kojima fanboy. Haven't much liked anything of his since MGS3. I've been complaining about his work ever since MGS4. However, that series, especially at its peak, had tons more interactivity/options than most movie games. It usually relegated the non-interactivity to cutscenes. There wasn't any of that forced walking and canned cinematic animations until perhaps the microwave sequence in MGS4. Between the options in the original three MGS games and Max Payne 3, it's not even close. The latter had so many closed off arenas and setpieces that you barely even got to experiment with weapons like the sniper rifle. You had to find out in the fucking multiplayer how much fun it can be. No usable grenades in single player either.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I rate it 5/10.

I enjoyed the alright story, but was bored with gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom