Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2: Good or shit?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Arthur Morgan is easily the most compelling protagonist ever seen in a video game -- a real anti-hero, in a story that metaphorically kicks you in the nuts over and over, continually asking "do you feel anything?" until you most certainly do.

multiplayer is shit.

Outsourced garbage, RDO's essentially an asset flip and should be evaluated completely separate from RDR2 itself.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Arthur Morgan is easily the most compelling protagonist ever seen in a video game
Sure, but then make a movie of it. Forcing us to endure that awful gameplay just to see Morgan story is bad form.

It is a poor story for a game, a better one for a film maybe. Because as a player you are forced to tag along with Dutch when you see it isn't worth it and worse of all it goes nowhere interesting. And half the gang is filled with aggravating morons that should have been kicked out of it. It is an endless stream of frustrations that multiply the piss-poor mission design.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
The voice acting is top notch with Dutch and Arthur at the top. Best R.G. game since L.A. Noire.
I'd say the rating is:8/10 with the voice acting raising it to 10/10.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The voice acting is top notch with Dutch and Arthur at the top. Best R.G. game since L.A. Noire.
I'd say the rating is:8/10 with the voice acting raising it to 10/10.

Bingo. I'd go as far as saying it set a whole new standard for acting in games. Regardless of what you think of the plot itself, the lines themselves and their delivery are absolutely fantastic, and would easily carry a lesser game by themselves.

Some people aren't interested in a drawn-out epic set in the dying days of the Old West, and that's totally fair; but for those that can appreciate such a title, it does an incredibly nuanced job of inverting the romanticism of 'the Gunslinger', and embodies at its core what others continually strive for in tired buzzwords like "immersion" and "atmosphere". There really isn't anything comparable at this point.

I just pray Red Dead has a future now that Dan Houser has left Rockstar. It'd be horrific to see Take-Two and Strauss Zelnick reduce the series to another forgettable 'AAA' GaaS piece of refuse. The pricetag of producing such a title doesn't exactly lend itself to 'corporate' investing in such projects without passionate people pulling strings out of their own impulse to make art.

Vatnik Wumao
Sounds like what these retards "LARPing" in Skyrim do.
LARPing is when you do things that aren't acknowledged by the game. Engaging with the systems is what they're there for.

But there's no point in engaging with the systems, other than upgrading your inventory space. You get the most useful gun, the pump action shotgun, through the main quest. You can buy the two most useful pistols from any gunsmith. You can buy the best horse in St Denis. And you won't ever need the upgraded inventory space either.

Vatnik Wumao
Arthur Morgan is easily the most compelling protagonist ever seen in a video game
Sure, but then make a movie of it. Forcing us to endure that awful gameplay just to see Morgan story is bad form.

It is a poor story for a game, a better one for a film maybe. Because as a player you are forced to tag along with Dutch when you see it isn't worth it and worse of all it goes nowhere interesting. And half the gang is filled with aggravating morons that should have been kicked out of it. It is an endless stream of frustrations that multiply the piss-poor mission design.

Everyone gets pissed off at Dutch. He's obviously self destructive and Arthur lets himself get dragged down as well.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
All the cutscenes put together are 16-20 hours long so it could be adapted into a tv series. :M
A lot more viable in the days of 'Netflix binging' (nothing specific to Netflix, but god forbid punctuating something like this with advertisements), but I still think the weight of 'performing' Arthur personally is hugely important in giving weight to Arthur's redemption.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I didn't even like the first one. I thought it was boring as hell. Everything felt the same to me. It was a chore to finish. I only managed to finish the Zombies DLC half way before I couldn't take the repetitive game play anymore.

I'm not playing the second one given RockStar has been a bust since GTA: IV. I didn't like GTA: IV, but it was better than V, imo.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Stop being haters!!!

8KZm8sU.png

This fucking mongoloid should be packed into a rocket ship along with his entire subscriber base and then launched directly into the sun.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
And on topic, I thought this game would be fun for an explore-fag to ramble around and see nice vistas. But somehow even that is meh and I struggled to even fire up the exe...

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nowhere near as fun as the first one. It's too much CINEMATIKKK EXPERIENCE® and not enough actual game. Most missions involve riding for vast distances (which you have to do at a slow speed due to having to follow some retard and listen to their life's story), having a set piece shootout and riding all the way back.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Most missions involve riding for vast distances (which you have to do at a slow speed due to having to follow some retard and listen to their life's story), having a set piece shootout and riding all the way back.

Pretty much the game in a nutshell. This format works in GTA cos it usually only takes 2 mins to get somewhere and you can drive like an insane hooligan with a death wish on the way.

If you like GTAV you'll likely like RDR2, as it's a similar but better game.

This game is a weird little animal because there's a lot of interesting things going on in it, but there's a lot of fucking shit and really stupid design choices that were made. Almost every mission related thing, the bounty hunting stuff, it's basically all shit because of the extreme degree of railroading that goes on. But it can be a fun game to just fuck around in.

The shooting could be better, and the hand-to-hand combat sucks. Game is in desperate need of letting the player go prone. While playing it, RDR2 was a game that really made me wish it played like MGS5. Maybe play MGS5 instead if you haven't already, and it does the action game and stealth game RDR2 wants to do a million times better.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It kind of boggles my mind when people say that GTA V or RDR 2 has tightly written plots or characters.

In both games you are dragged around by a bunch of hyper-violent retards making constant pop culture references, and then the game kind of just ends.

That being said, I still day one'd both games cause I like driving/horsing around, and few games do better open world than Rockstar.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you like GTAV you'll likely like RDR2, as it's a similar but better game.

This game is a weird little animal because there's a lot of interesting things going on in it, but there's a lot of fucking shit and really stupid design choices that were made. Almost every mission related thing, the bounty hunting stuff, it's basically all shit because of the extreme degree of railroading that goes on. But it can be a fun game to just fuck around in.

The shooting could be better, and the hand-to-hand combat sucks. Game is in desperate need of letting the player go prone. While playing it, RDR2 was a game that really made me wish it played like MGS5. Maybe play MGS5 instead if you haven't already, and it does the action game and stealth game RDR2 wants to do a million times better.

Not at all.

GTA V is like an over-the-top 80's action movie. And more importantly it's fun to play. You don't spend 80% of the game crawling along at a snail's pace listening to characters you don't give a shit about venting their spleen and not being able to skip anything. GTA V is much more free roaming, RDR 2 has a hand-holding/tutorial section that rivals Final Fantasy 13. The game is almost over by the time you get to actually fuck around Rockstar style.

GTA V and RDR 1 are a lot more similar.

BruceVC

Magister
It kind of boggles my mind when people say that GTA V or RDR 2 has tightly written plots or characters.

In both games you are dragged around by a bunch of hyper-violent retards making constant pop culture references, and then the game kind of just ends.

That being said, I still day one'd both games cause I like driving/horsing around, and few games do better open world than Rockstar.

Yes but we like being led by violent retards in games like GTA and RDR2, think of all the fun in the GTA sex industry :salute:

I consider RDR2 to be the best Rockstar game and I also loved GTA4&5. I spent 300 hours to complete the single player RDR2 and I checked my time now on RDR2 and I have spent 1200 hours on the Online game. I have maxed out all the roles like Bounty Hunter and I still sometimes logon and play....yes Im clearly a sheeeeeeeeeeep :shittydog::shittydog::shittydog: (or doggie )

BruceVC

Magister
Meh. I prefer BEING the violent retard. Maybe that's just me.

I agree but in all Rockstar games you can do that as most of us end up doing , one of my guilty pleasures in GTA is driving a vehicle at high speeds and deliberately crashing into pedestrians and causing massive carnage or going on a mass killing spree and when you get pursued by all the police you can escape them easily by using a motorbike and fleeing into the underground train system :cool:

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
Nowhere near as fun as the first one. It's too much CINEMATIKKK EXPERIENCE® and not enough actual game. Most missions involve riding for vast distances (which you have to do at a slow speed due to having to follow some retard and listen to their life's story), having a set piece shootout and riding all the way back.

I agree but in all Rockstar games you can do that as most of us end up doing , one of my guilty pleasures in GTA is driving a vehicle at high speeds and deliberately crashing into pedestrians and causing massive carnage or going on a mass killing spree and when you get pursued by all the police you can escape them easily by using a motorbike and fleeing into the underground train system :cool:

The problem is that a coherent story and the "lol random carnage" mix like oil and water.
RDR 2 should have been an HBO series.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom