Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Sentinel

Arcane
What is it about Arthur getting sick that makes people want to stop playing?

In terms of gameplay, it doesn't actually matter until the end. Or am I misremembering?

deama

Prophet
What is it about Arthur getting sick that makes people want to stop playing?

In terms of gameplay, it doesn't actually matter until the end. Or am I misremembering?
I think it's the lack of choice and being railroaded into it.

Who wants to play a dying character, getting sicker by the minute, coughing up shit and stuff, and growing weaker in front of your eyes? We all already have that to look forward to in real life, don't need that much of it in our escapism.

Mind you, I am usually for more realism, tragedy, etc in vidya games, but this is a bit much, the way it was done here.

I think RDR2 falls into the same category as Skyrim when it comes to modding. You spend a ton of hours modding it, and then the end result is still shit. The underlying model is just too broken mechanically I think.

I tried PED mod, for example, that everyone raves about, which among fancier dying/bleeding out animations for NPCs, also is supposed to make combat more dynamic and lowering everyone's health. After installing it, NPCs would not die at all to body shots. I could hit them 10-15 times in the torso, they d still get back up (compared to already ridiculous 3-4 shots in vanilla).

NorwegianWolf

Educated
I started playing RDR2. About 8 hours in. Of course it's very cinematic and rather slow paced. That's to be expected, so I'm not complaining.

On one hand the amount of controls and mechanics is somewhat overwhelming, and after 8 hours I can't remember everything about fist fights, horse bonding, herb picking, weight gain, lassoing and hunting.
On the other hand, I'm 8 hours in, and despite introducing herb picking, the crafting mechanic still wasn't introduced.

But lord be my witness, A Quiet Time was one of funniest quests ever. Being drunk is so well made it blew my mind.

9ted6

Educated
It's tolerable until Lemoyne. Combat's way too easy throughout but Lemoyne's where the writing and story completely fall apart. Boring gameplay and terrible writing can't be saved by good graphics and music.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
It's tolerable until Lemoyne. Combat's way too easy throughout but Lemoyne's where the writing and story completely fall apart. Boring gameplay and terrible writing can't be saved by good graphics and music.

What game has good writing if RDR2 doesn't.

It has some of the best writing of any game.

Spike

Educated

What game has good writing if RDR2 doesn't.

It has some of the best writing of any game.
Haven't played 2 yet but 1 has good writing. Rockstar have always been one of the few I will allow to make what are essentially moviegames in my ideal throne-and-altar theocracy.

cruel

Cipher
Interesting:

I dropped this game after 2h, mostly due to too much 'realism', but I wasn't aware there are so many good mods to fix stuff. He mentions mods for quick loot, fast walking outside of the camp, but also weather & temperature having actual impact, more options to camp and few others. I think I might try the game once again.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wasn't aware there are so many good mods to fix stuff
No mod can fix the unbearable mission design where 90% of missions have the same structure.

And nothing can save the fact that there are a million different activities in the game - hunting, robbing, upgrading camp, etc. - and none of that matters for the main quest because you never need any materials or money above what the game gives you.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I dropped this game after 2h, mostly due to too much 'realism'
The game is easy. The "realism" is mainly in the tutorial. It's not like there's a hunger mechanic requiring you to hunt or anything.
I think I might try the game once again.
It's all ruined by them FORCING you to work for a Jewish moneylender and FORCING your character to get AIDS tuberculosis and die. Slowly. There's also the dumb DEI stuff in it, but that doesn't have a direct impact on gameplay iirc.

And that's fairly early game. It's a fun game, but this makes me regret purchasing it. I just like to play poker in the starter town and kidnap random people.

If they ever mod out Strauss' questline and the result entirely, then let me know. But given that Aurthur's death is a main story element, I doubt they will.

cruel

Cipher
Those were some severe spoilers man. Now I will need to wait 2+ years to forget what you wrote there lol

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

I lasted a little over 3 hours in this game. I expected it to be overhyped mediocre game. But that would have been an improvement over the pile of shit it actually turned out to be. One of the most boring games I've ever played and I really don't think I'm exaggerating. Everything felt fucking tedious, from mission design to controls and those slow animations. And then the writing is just typical Rockstar stuff of group of unlikeable douchebags constantly bickering among each other - this one I predicted because they are unable to do anything else. Map is really good looking but that can't do much for me when game is completely devoid of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom