Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

sullynathan

Arcane
Did Sentinel go to your channel and dislike the video with two different accounts? :lol:
lol, reaching a bit there.
yNtpTpr.png
So that's your 3rd account?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm surprised it didn't cross your mind that some of these games you mentioned are boring. Outside of quests, Gothic suffers from many of the same problems as RDR2. It has really bad combat,

It's Combat is bad, but not really bad (that's Oblivion levels of bad).
Besides that's just one aspect among various others that make up the gameplay.
It's an RPG, the combat isn't the main focus of the gameplay experience - the only game genres where that applies are shooters, fighters, hack 'n' slahes and beat 'em ups.

slow traversal of the environment and a vast world.

Gothic is the complete oposite of vast and barren open world games.
And the traversal speed isn't a problem as: the locations are close; there are faster ways to get somewhere besides walking; the exploaration is designed with all that in mind.

STALKER is boring,

STALKER is a pleb filter. :smug:

But seriously stalker oozes atmosphere and tension, the survival mechanics are actually meaningful (unlike RDR2), the world/levels/missions/encounters are very well designed and intriguing (except for the last mission).
The game is enjoyable, but the bad optimization, slow start and overall jank it's what drives people away.

Demon's Souls is boring and isn't excellent

Then Dark Souls 1 and 3 are in an even worse position than DeS. :smug:

other games like Teef and Resident Evil are more like slow paced action games that are really short so they aren't that comparable to an open world game.

The fact they may be a subgenre of Action games doesn't change the fact they are very slow placed.
And you said all slow paced games are boring, regardless of being open world or an rpg.

This is a generalistic and retarded statement too, because it is completely subjective to you. Other people can have the opposite impressions and enjoyment of all those games

Taste -> Subjective
Quality -> Objective

Case in point: millions of people love Skyrim and think it's a very complex and well designed RPG.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I really got tired of all the animations for actions, skinning and whatever else (I forget)

I hoped a patch would come out as I played that had a disable animation tickbox.

And all that Button holding down, just make that shit instant.

It would have been an 11/10 game for me if they cut down on the tedium.

Zep--

sullynathan

Arcane
It's Combat is bad, but not really bad (that's Oblivion levels of bad).
Besides that's just one aspect among various others that make up the gameplay.
It's an RPG, the combat isn't the main focus of the gameplay experience - the only game genres where that applies are shooters, fighters, hack 'n' slahes and beat 'em ups.
Dumb post. Many shooters are rpgs just like gothic has hack and slash combat. You'll mow down as many orcs in gothic as you would humans in RDR2

The fact they may be a subgenre of Action games doesn't change the fact they are very slow placed.
And you said all slow paced games are boring, regardless of being open world or an rpg.
I didn't say all

Ezekiel

Arcane
Did Sentinel go to your channel and dislike the video with two different accounts? :lol:
lol, reaching a bit there.
yNtpTpr.png
So that's your 3rd account?
No that's my main.
1dJvshH.png

:roll: I knew posting my channel would bring on some negativity, but I didn't expect a silly argument like this. Those downvotes could be from people here, but it's also possible that they're from one of the people I've annoyed in Max Payne 3's multiplayer.

Ivan

Arcane
For those who played the console version, is there a greater emphasis on weapon loadout, inventory than in the original? Are the survival elements stronger this time around? Or will we be typically given max ammo per encounter? One of my biggest disappointments with the first was that the survival elements were very lite.

kalganoat

Savant
There are more weapons but the game has a habit of replacing your weapons with the gun they want you to use in missions.
Ammo was never a problem for me. Ammo belt is easy to craft and you have differnt guns and each type has different ammos.
Survival element is there but you can basically ignore it no problem. You and your horse has a hunger bar that you need to fill occasionally that's it.
The critics were right to say this game has a lot of bells and whistles and they are ulitimately meaningless.
Play this game for the story, graphics and immersion. Don't expect anything else.

Sentinel

Arcane
You'll have to look around/craft the most fun ammo to use (the one that adds additional gore). Standard ammo isn't hard to come by, but depending on what you do out in the open world you might find yourself out of ammo in a mission and forced to grab a weapon off the ground.
You can't carry 50 weapons on your back, just 2 pistols/one-handed weapons + 2 rifles/shotguns/bow + thrown weapons.
Survival mechanics are pretty basic and don't affect much. Hoping for a hardcore mod/mode for the PC version like the first RDR got.

You have 3 different attributes:
- Health
- Stamina
- Dead Eye
Each stat is represented in the UI by an outer ring (called meter) and an inner icon (called cores - heart in the case of HP, thunderbolt in the case of stamina and an eye for dead eye). The meter represents how much of that stat you have left to use. The core drains as you play and merely affects the meter's regeneration rate, so a full inner icon = good regeneration rate.

If you run out of HP, you obviously die. If you run out of Stamina, you can't sprint and you're generally slower climbing stuff. If you run out of dead eye, you can't use it.

Food regenerates the cores, which in turn affects the regeneration rate of the meters. The punishments for neglecting the stats aren't really that relevant (and even then tons of people cried about them) because there are consumables that instantly regenerate the meters (the ones that actually matter for immediate use).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is deadeye the auto-aim thing? If so PC gamers are gonna have more health and stamina than average because of not touching it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
This is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. Instead of having fun gameplay that makes every mission enjoyable on it's own, they add pointless "progression" mechanics to make you think you're playing a game when you're really playing Excel.

Is deadeye the auto-aim thing? If so PC gamers are gonna have more health and stamina than average because of not touching it.

It’s a like VATS in FNV (actually Fallout 4), meaning you enter a super slow bullet time mode where you can mark different body parts/enemies with X marks, where upon releasing the trigger those shots land immediately, but you can shoot normally as well from what I remember. I’m curious how they will address the obvious mechanical advantage m+kb players will have over shitty pads (or if they will give a fuck to do it), though I suppose the answer is in GTA 5 already.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It’s a like VATS in FNV (actually Fallout 4), meaning you enter a super slow bullet time mode where you can mark different body parts/enemies with X marks, where upon releasing the trigger those shots land immediately, but you can shoot normally as well from what I remember. I’m curious how they will address the obvious mechanical advantage m+kb players will have over shitty pads (or if they will give a fuck to do it), though I suppose the answer is in GTA 5 already.

Yeah that's what I figured. I never use those modes, so the game will probably feel unbalanced. I thought GTA5 played fine though, despite being designed for console lock-on bullshit, so we'll see.

Sentinel

Arcane

Yeah that's what I figured. I never use those modes, so the game will probably feel unbalanced. I thought GTA5 played fine though, despite being designed for console lock-on bullshit, so we'll see.
Arthur is already pretty invincible on consoles sadly. But Rockstar do mention that numerous "enhancements" are being made in their post, so hopefully this is one of them. They can't say they haven't had plenty of time to test the PC version.

Yeah, I never liked the Deadeye feature, and with m+kb it's really not good. Hopefully Rockstar can make it more interesting, but if not, the modders can step in.

And bullet-time was always dumb af. I hated it since the first Max Payne. Basically a cheat mode for the coolness-challenged.

I COULD develop skillz and feel like a bad-ass motherlover, OR I could slow down time and cheat. Gee... decisions decisions.

Ivan

Arcane
Minimum specifications are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K / AMD FX-6300
RAM: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
Storage: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

Recommend specifications are below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
RAM: 12GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB
Storage: 150GB
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
:shredder: ez work

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
My 960gb SSD I bought just last month suddenly feels so small haha.

So does my 50mbit connection,good thing by the time I buy it at 50% on a steam sale I will hopefully have upgraded because this thing will take like 6 hours to download.

Btw I wonder about the retail version is it going to have like 3 blurays in it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom