Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    H
    O
    R
    S
    E

TESTICLES

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I actually enjoy The Long Dark, it's a very relaxing gameplay experience, love to fire up that game at night after work and just try to survive for a few hours.

Walking isn't super fast, and the pace of gameplay is pretty slow too, but the game is actually forcing you to conserve resources and be careful around wild animals or you're going to fucking die so it's still an engaging experience.

Slow animations and a lack of interesting content is the bad kind of slow, though, especially when the uninteresting content also comes with a lack of danger.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Ezekiel Magister

Ezekiel
    If you've played Max Payne 3 so many times, then you know shoot dodging leaves you vulnerable as your character stands up. It's usually better to use if there aren't that many enemies left. I like variety. The more options I have, the better. The roll has proven itself effective many times in single player already, and after this experiment and all my success in multiplayer, I'm gonna use crouch more in single player.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    I'm surprised it didn't cross your mind that some of these games you mentioned are boring. Outside of quests, Gothic suffers from many of the same problems as RDR2. It has really bad combat, slow traversal of the environment and a vast world. The only thing I'll give it credit for is that it realized fast travel is important in these open world games and allows you to do so without menus, loading screens or using pre-set locations.

STALKER is boring, Demon's Souls is boring and isn't excellent while the other games like Teef and Resident Evil are more like slow paced action games that are really short so they aren't that comparable to an open world game.
    Did Sentinel go to your channel and dislike the video with two different accounts? :lol:

• retadred x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    This is a generalistic and retarded statement too, because it is completely subjective to you. Other people can have the opposite impressions and enjoyment of all those games

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    lol, reaching a bit there.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    So that's your 3rd account?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    It's Combat is bad, but not really bad (that's Oblivion levels of bad).
    Besides that's just one aspect among various others that make up the gameplay.
    It's an RPG, the combat isn't the main focus of the gameplay experience - the only game genres where that applies are shooters, fighters, hack 'n' slahes and beat 'em ups.

Gothic is the complete oposite of vast and barren open world games.
    And the traversal speed isn't a problem as: the locations are close; there are faster ways to get somewhere besides walking; the exploaration is designed with all that in mind.

STALKER is a pleb filter. :smug:

But seriously stalker oozes atmosphere and tension, the survival mechanics are actually meaningful (unlike RDR2), the world/levels/missions/encounters are very well designed and intriguing (except for the last mission).
    The game is enjoyable, but the bad optimization, slow start and overall jank it's what drives people away.

Then Dark Souls 1 and 3 are in an even worse position than DeS. :smug:

The fact they may be a subgenre of Action games doesn't change the fact they are very slow placed.
    And you said all slow paced games are boring, regardless of being open world or an rpg.

Taste -> Subjective
    Quality -> Objective

Case in point: millions of people love Skyrim and think it's a very complex and well designed RPG.

^ Top  
  9. Zep Zepo Titties and Beer Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

Zep Zepo
    I really got tired of all the animations for actions, skinning and whatever else (I forget)

I hoped a patch would come out as I played that had a disable animation tickbox.

And all that Button holding down, just make that shit instant.

It would have been an 11/10 game for me if they cut down on the tedium.

Zep--

^ Top  
  10. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    No that's my main.
    [​IMG]

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Dumb post. Many shooters are rpgs just like gothic has hack and slash combat. You'll mow down as many orcs in gothic as you would humans in RDR2

I didn't say all

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ezekiel Magister

Ezekiel
    :roll: I knew posting my channel would bring on some negativity, but I didn't expect a silly argument like this. Those downvotes could be from people here, but it's also possible that they're from one of the people I've annoyed in Max Payne 3's multiplayer.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I posted my Steam name here once and it took me about 4 seconds to realize what a mistake that was and edit it out.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Kinda surprised they didn't remaster RDR1 first, though.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    For those who played the console version, is there a greater emphasis on weapon loadout, inventory than in the original? Are the survival elements stronger this time around? Or will we be typically given max ammo per encounter? One of my biggest disappointments with the first was that the survival elements were very lite.

^ Top  
  16. kalganoat Learned

kalganoat
    There are more weapons but the game has a habit of replacing your weapons with the gun they want you to use in missions.
    Ammo was never a problem for me. Ammo belt is easy to craft and you have differnt guns and each type has different ammos.
    Survival element is there but you can basically ignore it no problem. You and your horse has a hunger bar that you need to fill occasionally that's it.
    The critics were right to say this game has a lot of bells and whistles and they are ulitimately meaningless.
    Play this game for the story, graphics and immersion. Don't expect anything else.

^ Top  
  17. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    You'll have to look around/craft the most fun ammo to use (the one that adds additional gore). Standard ammo isn't hard to come by, but depending on what you do out in the open world you might find yourself out of ammo in a mission and forced to grab a weapon off the ground.
    You can't carry 50 weapons on your back, just 2 pistols/one-handed weapons + 2 rifles/shotguns/bow + thrown weapons.
    Survival mechanics are pretty basic and don't affect much. Hoping for a hardcore mod/mode for the PC version like the first RDR got.

You have 3 different attributes:
    - Health
    - Stamina
    - Dead Eye
    Each stat is represented in the UI by an outer ring (called meter) and an inner icon (called cores - heart in the case of HP, thunderbolt in the case of stamina and an eye for dead eye). The meter represents how much of that stat you have left to use. The core drains as you play and merely affects the meter's regeneration rate, so a full inner icon = good regeneration rate.

If you run out of HP, you obviously die. If you run out of Stamina, you can't sprint and you're generally slower climbing stuff. If you run out of dead eye, you can't use it.

Food regenerates the cores, which in turn affects the regeneration rate of the meters. The punishments for neglecting the stats aren't really that relevant (and even then tons of people cried about them) because there are consumables that instantly regenerate the meters (the ones that actually matter for immediate use).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Is deadeye the auto-aim thing? If so PC gamers are gonna have more health and stamina than average because of not touching it.

^ Top  
  19. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    This is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. Instead of having fun gameplay that makes every mission enjoyable on it's own, they add pointless "progression" mechanics to make you think you're playing a game when you're really playing Excel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    It’s a like VATS in FNV (actually Fallout 4), meaning you enter a super slow bullet time mode where you can mark different body parts/enemies with X marks, where upon releasing the trigger those shots land immediately, but you can shoot normally as well from what I remember. I’m curious how they will address the obvious mechanical advantage m+kb players will have over shitty pads (or if they will give a fuck to do it), though I suppose the answer is in GTA 5 already.

^ Top  
  21. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah that's what I figured. I never use those modes, so the game will probably feel unbalanced. I thought GTA5 played fine though, despite being designed for console lock-on bullshit, so we'll see.

^ Top  
  22. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel
    Arthur is already pretty invincible on consoles sadly. But Rockstar do mention that numerous "enhancements" are being made in their post, so hopefully this is one of them. They can't say they haven't had plenty of time to test the PC version.

^ Top  
  23. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Yeah, I never liked the Deadeye feature, and with m+kb it's really not good. Hopefully Rockstar can make it more interesting, but if not, the modders can step in.

^ Top  
  24. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    first trailer manana?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    Dead Eye is just a simpler bullet time

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.