Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Faction Guerilla

cutterjohn

Cipher
So, it sounds good, almost too good to be true.

Is it worth getting?

(It's $9.99 on Steam for the next 23h and change...)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fun if you like smashing stuff. I like smashing stuff so the game was immensely enjoyable, although I didn't complete it yet. It's also quite difficult. Smashing stuff is almost all there is to it, though.

Don't expect anything approaching a worthwhile story, the only semi-interesting thing about it is nods to Parker and events from RF1.

Gameplay-wise, it's pretty awesome. One time I decided to just go nuts on one of my own hideouts...and in less than twenty seconds what used to be a fully functioning resistance base was little more than a few random support posts. Which I promptly knocked down with my hammer.

This kind of destruction model should be automatically included into any new FPS. Having stupid-powerful weaponry but not being able to knock down walls with it got old long ago.

coaster

Liturgist
A bit like GTA in space, what with the story missions, optional missions for cash etc, driving around in stolen vehicles and so on. Play on "casual" and use the hammer as your main weapon - playing on normal and getting swarmed by enemy mobs removes most of the fun.

Although the hammer is great, my favourite bit was getting on the back of the motorcycle thingy and trashing everything in sight with a big gun.

I think it's a bit of a resource hog - if you have a quad core it should play nice, YMMV with a lower spec.

Multi-headed Cow

Good game IF IT DIDN'T RUN FAST UNNNNNNNNNNNGH

Downloading Cheat Engine works for slowing it down but it's ridiculous it's needed.

Tycn

Savant
I never had that problem.

Be wary that optimisation is total shit. Framerate going from 60 down to 20 even when nothing is happening, single digits when lots of things are blowing up, etc. DX10 runs a lot better than DX9 as well (while looking better) so it's probably even worse on XP.

bhlaab

Erudite
Every time I blow up a building my framerate shoots to around 12 even on the lowest settings. So if you don't have a cpu that can handle it don't bother.

I mean a 2.33ghz dual core isn't exactly cutting edge anymore but come on. It's completely idiotic that they didn't take advantage of nvidia's gpu-physx

bhlaab

Erudite
Multi-headed Cow said:

Downloading Cheat Engine works for slowing it down but it's ridiculous it's needed.

If you mean what I think you do shouldn't forcing vsync fix that?

Destroid

Arcane
Game is badass. I played it on xbox360, still had a few framerate issues but nothing drastic.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
bhlaab said:
Every time I blow up a building my framerate shoots to around 12 even on the lowest settings. So if you don't have a cpu that can handle it don't bother.

I mean a 2.33ghz dual core isn't exactly cutting edge anymore but come on. It's completely idiotic that they didn't take advantage of nvidia's gpu-physx

3 Ghz dualcore, geforce 9600, and while I do have some lags when many things explode at once, it's bearable and only happens during really big explosions. Overall it runs better than Saints Row 2

Pablosdog

Prophet
I had some fun with it as a rental, but with my penchant for getting bored of games fairly easily, don't take my word for it. The destructible environs are nice, but the story is so brain-deadly asshattish(like not in a cheesy this is pretty cool arnold vibe but a sci fi channel made movie) that it takes away a bit from the experience.

Silellak

Cipher
$10 for this game is fantastic. It's not GOTY or anything, but it's ridiculously fun as long as the novelty of the destruction and physics engine lasts. Also, as others have said, it's refreshingly difficult in this day-and-age of dumbed-down games. Pissing off the local security forces is actually a danger - even towards the end of the game - rather than just an easy way of getting them to send free high-end vehicles after you.

It's not a deep game by any means, but luckily I'm a simpleton, so the combination of the destruction engine plus the fairly-challenging action continued to entertain me up through the end. But at $10, it's a steal, even if you can't stomach it as long as I did.

Secretninja

Cipher
I thought it was good. I didn't really notice the challenge everyone seemed to think existed until the last mission, which was retarded hard. I played on the hardest difficulty until that mission, then had to turn it down.

If you remember a couple locations where Light Walkers spawn, the game becomes stupid easy. When I was asked to kill those heavily guarded Corporate bigwigs, I just used the mech to bring the building down on top of them.

EDF snipers harassing the settlers? The Light Walker smashed through the foundation of the apartment they perched on, making them all fall to their deaths.

A Light Walker has considerable armor, decent movement speed, and limited flight. Combined with the fact that it can crush enemy vehicles (even tanks and other armor) in a few blows, and buildings just as quick...

Multi-headed Cow

bhlaab said:
Multi-headed Cow said:

If you mean what I think you do shouldn't forcing vsync fix that?
It doesn't. Have to use a program called Cheatengine to force the game down to 0.75 speed.

Destroid

Arcane
The missile tank is good for trashing buildings.

The easier difficulties suffer from the fact that as soon as you hop inside a vehicle it has something like 10x more HP than an AI version. This might be better on the harder difficulties.

Destroid said:
The missile tank is good for trashing buildings.

The missile tank is good for smashing everything. I got my hands on one and then used it to lay waste to every single blue EDF priority target in Eos in one go. The tank was mangled by the end of that run...but then so was pretty every government installation around (save for the ones I kept to spawn vehicles I liked).

The upgraded version in the final mission basically makes you god. You'll just waltz right through a couple armies like they're bugs messing up the paint.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO THIS IS CONSOLETARD TRASH HOPW ABOUT YOU STICK YOUR HEAD BETWEEN YOUR LEGS AND BLOW YOURSELGF INSTED?

ecliptic

Liturgist
Why does the internet collectively hate Red Faction 2? I thought it was much more enjoyable and better paced than the first one.

denizsi

Arcane
Gotta love games centered around one single trivial gimmick. It could just as well be titled Mario Brothers Smash Up 3D.

Destroid

Arcane
denizsi said:
Gotta love games centered around one single trivial gimmick. It could just as well be titled Mario Brothers Smash Up 3D.

In this case, the gimmick is totally fucking awesome.

Also, there are loads open world 3rd person games around these days in the GTA style, nothing wrong with spicing it up with some nifty features.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom