Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Orchestra - $5 today

Fez

Erudite
I don't think I've played it in years. It seemed okay at the time, but I doubt it is much like what I played now. What do you feel makes this mod good and better than the others such as Day of Defeat?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Well, it's not really a mod. The developers of the original ut2k4 mod won a UE 2.5 license in a competition and rebuilt the game from the ground up as a retail standalone. Check out some videos to get a feel for what it's like.

The feature list on the Steam page does a good job of explaining why it's better than the competition.

Fez

Erudite
Cool. I'll have a look through. $5 is the sort of thing that will win me over if it looks half decent.

User was nabbed fit

It's worth it! I played it on its last free weekend (a while ago), but didn't buy it at the end because I had other stuff to do at the time. Even though I've got stuff going on now, multiple other games I haven't finished, I still bought it because it's only $5 (for now). Eventually I'll get some time to whack a few Nazis.

Fez

Erudite
I've been convinced. I bought it. Good timing. I've been thinking about getting a FPS some time soon. I almost went for DoD.

Erzherzog

Magister
Oh my. I was looking for a FPS that was cheap, WW2 related, and something that wouldn't kill my PC.

Lucky me.

Fez

Erudite
From what I can gather they are aiming for more on the 'realism' side of things, rather than arcade actions.

User was nabbed fit

sah said:
Only multi-player.

There's no story or anything like that, but there battles like the ones in MP, but with bots. So you can still play in single player.

Nedrah

Erudite
Nice. Bought it and downloading right now. Got to love that $ to € conversion rate :)

Suchy said:
how's the realism? medal of honor vs. operation flashpoint wise?

Ultra-realism. As in: (from memory, don't flame me if one or two are off these days):
- bullets are affected by gravity
- the range, power and kickback on all guns is modelled accurately upon the real weapons
- no crosshairs, you're using the rifle's iron sights to aim
- sub-machine guns are early model, so they're hopelessly inaccurate at long ranges (good for rushes and indoor combat, not for playing CS-style);
- machine guns (one per team) are ultra-heavy, not even vaguely practical to fire while walking - like the ones of the era it's a matter of finding a covered position, setting up the machine gun over the bunker/pit wall etc (think machine-gun pits from CoH). They are 'trench-warfare' defend-an-area guns, and need support to be effective (otherwise just like in reality someone will just go around the firing radius and lob a grenade in from cover).
- good fatigue system - you can only sprint for a limited time which is affected by what equipment you are carrying
- very very difficult to aim decent distances while moving, you are almost always better off crouching behind cover, or lying down flat and aiming than spamming CS-style,
- fairly realistic damage system. If you get shot, don't expect to keep fighting in any useful fashion. Most of the time one shot is enough to kill, if the shot only gets you in the limb you'll be so slowed down that you're largely crippled - maybe you'll be able to take a few guys down with you as a penalty for their crap aiming, but you won't be running around the map.

One of the best realistic shooters I've played. I only gave it up last time because I couldn't find a server in Australia and so had terrible ping - if that has changed please let me know.

Shoelip

Arbiter
There aren't many players. So get the game and play it! The realism is sort of inbetween OpFlash and MoH, leaning heavily towards OpFlash.

In addition to the things Azrael pointed out I should mention that they have a system that allows you to rest your gun against pretty much any surface in order to steady your aim. Including vertical corners. You will actually recover from a crippling wound after a few seconds, but you generally won't live that long after taking one. It's just to keep the game from grinding to a half because everyone broke their legs and now can't get to where they can actually shoot each other.

Rifles are almost always one hit kills, while pistols and SMGs usually require two or three hits to the torso, more to the limbs, and less to the head. Explosions also cause the model's limbs and heads to fly off leaving gory stumps, which is a bonus in my book. There are even "Pain Skins" when you get killed by an explosion.

There are tanks as well, but allot of people don't find them much fun because they have realistic reload times. It's allot more methodical and allot less frantic, playing a tanker.

They regularly release new content for the game, and modders are just starting to finish their projects including Mare Nostrum, an african mod focusing on British and Australian forces, Carpatian Crosses, which brings in the Romanian army, and Darkest Hour, which finally brings in the yanks. If you've watched allot of WW2 movies you'll probably find allot of familiarity in the levels of that one. Two of them I'm certain were modeled directly off of sets from Band of Brothers.

Watch the tutorial videos, they'll help you get an idea of how things work.

Suchy

Arcane
That sounds really good, I guess I should give it a try.
I got sucked in MP Armed Assault again, so something WWII would be a nice change.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Azrael the cat said:
- good fatigue system - you can only sprint for a limited time which is affected by what equipment you are carrying
I never find it realistic when you can only run five feet before getting exhausted. Do game developers realise that fit soldiers can run FOR MILES with full gear?

Fez

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Azrael the cat said:
I never find it realistic when you can only run five feet before getting exhausted. Do game developers realise that fit soldiers can run FOR MILES with full gear?

The developers spend all day in chairs eating pizza and ice cream. It is only natural that they have misconceptions about how far a man can run before exhaustion.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
Come to think of it, in the army they made us run with full gear around the stadium for punishment when someone "wasn't listening" when they were training us the standing, crouched and prone position. It wasn't pretty :P

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well you can sprint surprisingly far in the game, I couldn't say exactly how far, but it's a pretty decent distance. Of course it uses the same fatigue to let you jump, and they actually have a short time limit between jumps so bunny hopping isn't an option.

They have melee attacks with your weapons, either with the butt, or the bayonet if your gun has one and you attached it.

Tanks also have HE and AP rounds and three crew positions for a driver, gunner/commander, and a hull machine gunner.

If you go prone while sprinting you actually dive forward so you can go over low obstructions and take cover. You can also fire whle leaning left or right.

Oh yeah, weapons don't automatically reload after you fire them. You need to click the fire button again to work the rifle bolt or load a new tank shell. This is great if you're in close combat and would rather try to stab someone than reload your rifle and also if you want to switch between AP and HE rounds.

The game is not bad, the graphics look very good because they have this realistic feel to them. I played it 2 hours or so. Pressing the offend button "Scheiss Russen!" is my favorite part of the game. I would play it more often, if it would be more fun.

GeneralSamov

Prophet
Shoelip said:
Oh yeah, weapons don't automatically reload after you fire them. You need to click the fire button again to work the rifle bolt or load a new tank shell. This is great if you're in close combat and would rather try to stab someone than reload your rifle and also if you want to switch between AP and HE rounds.
Anyone that doesn't uncheck autoreload in any FPS they may be playing isn't a true FPS gamer anyway. It's funny for example getting into a duel in W:ET, using up your ammo, switching to pistol and finishing your opponent off while he's reloading his smg.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I'm talking about bolt action rifles here though. Not swapping magazines. You actually click a second time to work the bolt and load a new round into the chamber. Of course, you have to press 'r' to reload your magazine regardless. Reload animations in this game feel really nice. I'm not sure what exactly it is but they really feel authentic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom