Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*redacted*

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I agree with Oscar that D would be a good option if we had the means to arrange an expedition for a permanent colony, but I don't think we chose the right skills that would allow us to arrange it. Like leadership/social.

Baltika9

Arcane
1)C- Go to the coast. It will be far, far easier to live if we have access to the ocean, as our own people will be able to find us by the coast.
2)B- we don;t know the language, we don;t know them and we don't know what they'll do to us. Most importantly, we don't know whether or not they have backup or other bros around.
3)D- What kind of viking passes up a good war-axe? Besides, they are easier to maintain than swords, and it will double as a woodcutting instrument, but our character is the warrior of the party. He'd better be equipped accordingly.

Esquilax

Arcane
Baltika, the war axe is useless for cutting wood.

1) A. These guys are relaxed, they don't seem violent. We have skill at trading, so let's trade. At the very least, we'll get a glimpse of what they're like.
2) A. I'm an optimist, I think these guys are not dangerous. Worse yet, I think if we attack them and kill them, one of their trackers are definitely going to try tailing us. These guys know the lay of the land, we don't, we can't beat them on those terms.
3) A. Swords are more useful against unarmored opponents, plus the family sword probably has some cool history behind it. Kinda shitty as a hunting weapon, but what are ya gonna do?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I agree that eventually we will need to find the coastline and establish some sort of settlement/outpost there, in the case of our viking bros returning. But for now, what we know of our kin is that they have abandoned the true faith. I say we might as well for now, settle at this opportune spot, trade and mingle with the natives, winning them to our views, and then later make some sorts of settlements closer to the coast. Maybe even leave something near our initial landing spot, to indicate where we can be found.
My votes are:

1A
2A
3D

Waraxes are so Viking it's not even funny. :bro:

oscar

Arcane
C - No point getting involved
B - We need to maintain access to the sea and hopefully we will maintain contact with other Europeans
A - A sword will be more useful for killing Injuns

I'm joining in the fun.

1A - we do have some skills we can use here - if they are friendly we know how to trade; if not we know how to fight. But we need to know if they are friendly or not, as it will shape all of our future decision.
2B - let's head for the coast and do some more exploring. I'm torn between this and D. Maybe our viking bros will stumble upon us, but if not, we should definitely head back for the Vinland soon - we need more men if we are serious about this.
3A - a family sword - I like that, even though a spear is more useful for hunting and an ordinary axe for woodworking.

Edit: Just how much time do we have before winter? Is there even enough time to make it to the coast and build a shelter / prepare food, or get back to Vinland?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
A
B (NORSEMEN ONLY, I thought we'd be near the coast. We may still be able to get explorers coming from Greenland there)
A (Sword has more personal history and is the hardest to recreate here, and only the richest traditionally owned them. Axes were for poorer warriors. And yeah, sword is more effective against unarmoured opponents)

Tigranes

Arcane
AAD

We can always get to the coast later, but our kinsmen aren't exactly eager to help us at the moment. We need knowledge, resources, adn most importantly, women.

I don't think the third choice is going to have bighuge consequences, so let's go for the cool.

Bloodshifter

Educated
Was thinking more along the lines that the three of us mixing with a Native tribe means that our offspring are just Native Americans with slightly fairer hair. We don't really have the numbers for assimilation or a hybrid culture.

An undying man could reshape an entire culture, specially of more primitive and nomadic peoples. Also for the sake of convenience I'm assuming they are at Labrador and not Newfoundland.

Aye remember we can't die by the time Columbus comes by the "natives" will be Vikings! *or a weird hybrid*

Monty

Arcane
C - No point getting involved
B - We need to maintain access to the sea and hopefully we will maintain contact with other Europeans
A - A sword will be more useful for killing Injuns
agree with this

Urist McLurker

Learned
Baltika, the war axe is useless for cutting wood.

1) A. These guys are relaxed, they don't seem violent. We have skill at trading, so let's trade. At the very least, we'll get a glimpse of what they're like.
2) A. I'm an optimist, I think these guys are not dangerous. Worse yet, I think if we attack them and kill them, one of their trackers are definitely going to try tailing us. These guys know the lay of the land, we don't, we can't beat them on those terms.
3) A. Swords are more useful against unarmored opponents, plus the family sword probably has some cool history behind it. Kinda shitty as a hunting weapon, but what are ya gonna do?
This. Although I am slightly wondering about whether or not it's better to let them make the first move.

AAA

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
C - I want nordic settlement. Will eventually integrate the tribes too, perhaps.
F - We're still hoping we can somehow make the world right for us again
A - What did we come for other than to make this the new land of our gods?

Esquilax

Arcane
D: I love the idea of a man undergoing a mystical experience, then finding purpose in it again. From a character perspective, it's the coolest - it would also ensure a fuckload of money for when we get back to Iceland should we succeed. C would be my second choice: while I like the tribe, we came to the New World to preserve our endangered beliefs and culture, so we have to bring our people here first.

F: The hope of restoring our faith in this New World is what keeps us going.

A: Duh. It's what we came here for!

oscar

Arcane
C. We need more of our fellow Norse blood to bring their equipment and partake in the colonisation
G. Will to triumph.
A. Odin!

B: I'm tempted to vote D, but what are we going to do once we get there? We are not leading a band of viking warrior bros - our companions are a baker and a leatherworker. Maybe if we make this tribe strong enough... C is also tempting - do this colonization right. May flip on this.

C: Because I always gave this answer to Ravel.

B: A is going to take this one anyway, so why not. If the gods were worth worshipping, why did they let our family die? Either they were not powerful enough to stop it, or didn't care. Either way, to hell with them (a Conan-like choice imo).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom