Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

*redacted*

Monty

Arcane
We've tried attacking him, it didn't work. But if we interrupt the ritual, by attacking his minions, then perhaps that will have consequences for him and/or his plans.

Esquilax

Arcane
Guys, we weren't thinking, made a very fucking stupid choice (well, at least I did), we can't rectify it by simply attacking everyone now that our element of surprise is gone. We've lost, accept it, make peace with it. Now it's time to regroup and strategize for a later date.

We can't go back to the tribe because the shaman there will know that we betrayed her and helped the cultists here. So that's also a disaster. Based on that, the only reasonable choice is going back to Vinland, and then seeing what we can do there.

Rumsfeld

Scholar
I don't get why people are voting for suicide. Is this just a 'we screwed up, let's end the LP' option? Sure we can't usually die, but it may be different if we try it by our own hand, or in the middle of this ceremony. Don't see what we gain.

I actually agree with Esquilax in terms of choices, but will vote for anything that can defeat 6 (or 4 which is equally silly). At the moment the only other option with a chance of winning seems to be:
5 - so that's my vote.

PS: May flip to 3 if that has a hope of winning, but if we go back to Vinland it would help to go back with emeralds to finance another expedition. And we were told we were free to prospect for emeralds around here.

Monty

Arcane
3B

It's tempting to go for the death or glory route, but that's what we've been doing every time and as Cassidy pointed out the number of potentially deadly options is increasing. The only possible hope of surviving is to choose B and get out via the small gap towards the archers, but if we spend any time on Narackamous that gap may close or we may be hit by the archers. I think 3B is the only chance we have to extend the LP.

Cassidy

Arcane
RavenBanner.svg

This looks like a nice flag for Vinland.

A proper colonization effort will draw a lot of unwanted attention, specially if it clearly involves recent "converts", and considering the primary reasoning behind it in this, it definitively will involve lots of "Christians" reembracing their true beliefs to the old gods. There was a reason why the matter of the shrine to the gods was at vote for example, it may seem small but it shall bring consequences once colonization gets real. Consequences being that there will be no way to reason with Christian zealots other than to split their skulls open with an axe or beheading them with a sword, and having to declare independence as a mean of ensuring the religious laws of Denmark won't be enforced in the New World, and then slaughtering even more zealots and more and more until they give up.

Had you chosen to not build the shrine, once the time comes to deal with it, a more diplomatic and sneaky way to handle the Church and Denmark would be available. But I guess you imagined there is no fun in that.

Baltika9

Arcane
Had you chosen to not build the shrine, once the time comes to deal with it, a more diplomatic and sneaky way to handle the Church and Denmark would be available. But I guess you imagined there is no fun in that.

Diplomacy?
Viking.gif

Let them come.

Esquilax

Arcane
With the shit we stirred up here, the shaman is going to know that we're in her town. She's a seer, so she'll probably be anticipating our arrival if we try to be clever. Retrieving our friends isn't exactly going to be easy, or even possible. We should just count our blessings and get the fuck out of dodge.

As for the necklace, I think it's cursed and that we should get rid of it:

Darkness fell upon him, his last sight being that of the amphibious beasts climbing over him as they prepared to cut him to pieces.

He believed it was someone who decided to reward him for what he just did, or perhaps, after all he has seen, something. The starfish amulet was probably a signature of who did this, but it would remain a mystery for a long time. He felt nothing vile from the artifact, and promptly wore it as a reminder of what he somehow managed to overcome.

So let's recap: we were about to suffer a grisly fate, then "miraculously" we woke up with our body intact and we washed up ashore. There must have been some powerful entity out there aiding us after we killed the priest. And honestly, I don't think we should accept the free lunch here. Whatever entity saved us isn't benevolent (based on the fact that it's a starfish amulet, I'm thinking it was another Old One that wants to use us) and most likely intends to have us as its pawn.

Really, when something like this happens to magically save us, we ought to be more wary. Whatever being decided to reward us is going to want something in return. Nothing is free.

tl;dr: Let's quit while we're ahead. We're filthy fucking rich, let's go back home to arrange an expedition and pawn off this cursed amulet on some idiot.

3A

Cassidy

Arcane
The only powerful entity that helped Angartyr so far was the same who brought him to life in Iceland, although whether it is help or torment is a question of opinion. To put it briefly, no matter how badly the main character is maimed and slaughtered, he will always return to life and somebody else will die in his place, his spirit doomed to follow him to the end of the time. This was strongly inspired by Planescape: Torment, as it should be obvious by now, and being unable to die is the reason for the title in the first place. Of course, dying way too many times will naturally bring issues like amnesia, insanity, multiple personality disorder and others, plus a growingly merry band of wraiths following the main character, thus it is better to avoid dying whenever possible. To be honest at that point avoiding to die would be tricky thanks to the really derpy choice that was taken previously on dishonoring a deal that was being telepathically offered to him. Going through the underwater caves would have lots of deadly choices as well, as much FUN as the typical roguelike, and could either drag in with multiple deaths and revivals, or get the main character unscathed back to the surface, depending on the choices.

I won't spoil who died in his place this time. Just like I won't spoil who brought the main character back to life and turned him into an undying one. It's more interesting for that to remain a mystery until much later. The entity that brought him to life might be the same who left those emeralds and the amulet on the beach... or not at all. Again, I won't spoil these details before the right time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom