Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Ivan

Arcane
better than I expected. I feared this was a mere horde shooter

Don Peste

Arcane
The trailer is just more confirmation of how sad and disappointing this is, coming from Arkane. But I guess the Arkane of old is no more.

It has that disgusting style of the upcoming Saints Row: Trashy postmodern teens, garbage music, brilliant colors and lights everywhere... It's soulless.

It needs a day one mod that completely removes the purple color.

Ivan

Arcane
The trailer is just more confirmation of how sad and disappointing this is, coming from Arkane. But I guess the Arkane of old is no more.

It has that disgusting style of the upcoming Saints Row: Trashy postmodern teens, garbage music, brilliant colors and lights everywhere... It's soulless.

It needs a day one mod that completely removes the purple color.

methinks it's clear gamepass fodder / not a passion project

Ryzer

Arcane
It's a steep improvement over the first trailer in terms of visuals. However, I've seen a skill tree ( similar to ubisoft games), the writing is abysmal and the game itself seems to be yet another mindless shooter offering nothing new. Deathloop 2.0

toughasnails

Well tbh, it doesn't look bad at at all gameplay wise. I think it could actually do well enough given how co-op shooters are popular right now, as long as MS bothers to market the game to any extent.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Negative Nancy reporting here: can they PLEASE stop giving characters voices in shooters if they gonna sound shitty?

The "banter" had me shut the video off half-way through.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Negative Nancy reporting here: can they PLEASE stop giving characters voices in shooters if they gonna sound shitty?

The "banter" had me shut the video off half-way through.
Remember the banter of Ghost Recon Wildlands coop gameplay demo, between 4 devs? Yeah, Redfall banter is tame compared to that.
Edit: found it. Listen to this cringy talk:

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Redfall is an open-world, co-op FPS from Arkane Austin, the award-winning team behind Prey and Dishonored. Continuing Arkane’s legacy of carefully crafted worlds and immersive sims, Redfall brings the studio’s signature gameplay to this story-driven action shooter.

Uncover the Truth, Take Back Redfall
The island town of Redfall, Massachusetts, is under siege by a legion of vampires who have blocked out the sun and cut the citizens off from the outside world. Explore the open world and immerse yourself in a deep story campaign as you unravel the mystery behind the vampires’ appearance. Ally with a handful of survivors against the creatures threatening to bleed the town dry.

Features
Slay Alone Or Squad Up

Redfall blends single- and multiplayer options seamlessly, allowing the player to venture into the darkness alone or to squad-up for up to four player co-op. Teammates can try different hero loadouts and combine their strengths to find creative solutions to the vampire apocalypse. You will collect an arsenal of specialized weaponry and customize your character with unique upgrades and abilities to suit your playstyle for guns blazing, stealth combat, and everything in-between.

Unconventional Heroes Vs. the Night
Created by science experiments gone wrong and gifted with psychic abilities, Redfall’s vampires will challenge you and your squad to get creative. You will choose from a team of diverse heroes – each with their own character-specific abilities – to overcome the vampire legion and their brood of maniacal followers.
  • DEVINDER CROUSLEY: A cryptozoologist and aspiring inventor. Armed with weapons of his own creation, he’s on a mission to prove himself.
  • LAYLA ELLISON: A biomedical engineering student who interned at a research facility, where something went very wrong, leaving her with intense telekinetic abilities.
  • REMI DE LA ROSA: A brilliant combat engineer who has spent her life on the frontlines. With the help of her robot cohort, Bribón, she’s determined to help rescue Redfall’s survivors.
  • JACOB BOYER: An ex-military sharpshooter turned private contractor. Strange happenings on Redfall have left Jacob with a mysterious vampiric eye and a spectral raven that’s never far from his side.
The Open World Of Redfall
Redfall is a true Arkane experience set in a rich world that blends the familiar with the extraordinary. Redfall’s open world is handcrafted by the master level designers behind Prey’s Talos I space station and Dishonored’s Dunwall. From the town’s once-bustling downtown and the haunted forest to the decimated seaside boardwalk and beyond, you will fight through cultist outposts and supernatural psychic spaces as you piece together Redfall’s many mysteries.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Watching the Main channel filled with xbox normies (that was locked down in subscriber-mode only) and still 90% of the responses were 'ZzZz' 'Wokefest' and 'L'.
I'm sure this game will sell great to the Xbox / PC crowd..!

Waiting on the pendulum swing back, in the meantime though we traded Prey / Dishonored for this junk and Deathflopped. :lol:

Latelistener

Arcane
21nAXNw.jpeg

toughasnails

All this stupid talk about "Arkane DNA" has become so overblown. If I can't stealth through the game, it won't be fun.
What about Arx Fatalis or Dark Messiah then? You can sneak and can benefit from it but you can't avoid killing or even open combat.

Honestly, the way I see it, "counting characters" is a really horrible way to judge if a game has been compromised by outside politics. These days I see so many people - on the left and right - judging games for either having too many white people, or not enough, having the "correct" amount of women and minorities, etc etc. None of that shit matters. Prey is completely full of "diverse characters" but I don't think I remember a single time it ever takes us out of the game to say "hey, see, look how moral we are! See, we at Arkane are more moral than you! See, look how virtuous we are! See, we need to ensure you understand the completely non-controversial message that everyone is equal! See how deep we are!"

There's a fundamental difference between having a chief of security that just happens to be Middle Eastern and an in-your-face purple-haired samurai in the middle of a realistic WW2 setting.

People can argue how "based" or "pozzed" Arkane are for eternity based on stupid metrics like how many "woke" characters they have. At the end of the day, they are fare more respectable to their target audience than the likes of EA, Activision and Blizzard (the last being especially ironic for obvious reasons). Ubisoft is probably the worst with their "startup screen of diversity". They go out of their way (and waste my time on every game load) to tell me "hey, see, look how moral we are" while overworking their "diverse" workforce through endless crunch, and then firing them all. That's definitely a company I want to be taking life advice from.

So many people (especially "capital G Gamers") have completely missed the actual problem (that of subverting the artistic vision for the sake of political messaging) and instead have boiled it down to stupid talking points like "should there be more female protagonists/diverse casts/whatever bullshit".

Personally I blame this trend on the fact that anyone can waffle on about political nonesense for hours without saying anything in a video essay and get millions of views (Just look at literally any Jim Sterling video). It takes real skill to dissect gameplay, and far less people are interested in that kind of content.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
People can argue how "based" or "pozzed" Arkane are for eternity based on stupid metrics like how many "woke" characters they have. At the end of the day, they are fare more respectable to their target audience than the likes of EA, Activision and Blizzard (the last being especially ironic for obvious reasons).
otoh I look at this and know instantly it's not a game meant for me
Redfall-Group-Walk.jpg

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
People can argue how "based" or "pozzed" Arkane are for eternity based on stupid metrics like how many "woke" characters they have. At the end of the day, they are fare more respectable to their target audience than the likes of EA, Activision and Blizzard (the last being especially ironic for obvious reasons).
otoh I look at this and know instantly it's not a game meant for me
Redfall-Group-Walk.jpg

That looks like a Borderlands reboot with Mordecai on the left (brooding sniper with pet black bird), possibly Roland on the right, and Claptrap in the middle (a yellow robot with a white stripe, long antenna, and a single glowing eye in the middle).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom