Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Redfall - open world vampire slaying co-op FPS from Arkane Austin

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ENVIRONMENTAL STORY TELLING AT 5:19!!!!

bd1.png

Siel

Arcane
Patron
After watching this, I can't get that awful suspicion out of my mind that Harvey has been playing too much Fortnite.

I doubt Harvey plays games at all anymore.

More likely that Arkane is full of out of touch millennials that similarly don't care about games and only play the most popular games for research.
Yeah we need devs to play more zoomer games. :retarded:

copebot

Learned
Why say it's Massachusetts, but then make it look nothing like Massachusetts? It doesn't look like coastal Maine, either. The map itself looks a lot like parts of Rhode Island, but Rhode Island is far more dense and kind of ramshackle in most parts. The scale of the buildings and streets just looks totally wrong for New England, even considering the most intensively developed towns and regions. I also don't really understand why they would try to say that these enemies are vampires, despite not having any of the characteristics that people actually associate with this pop culture spook. The trees and other natural formations also look nothing like anything in New England. If they wanted to just have a made-up environment, why not just make one up?

It also doesn't really make sense to give characters superpowers and advanced tacticool weapons, but then to try to introduce spooky pacing more appropriate to weak player characters with pitiful weapons. In terms of creative direction, Deathloop was a lot better, even if it had its own serious defects in other departments.

Dodo1610

Arcane
God, I hate randomly generated guns with a linear-level progression. It utterly defeats the purpose of balancing in shooters. In a good shooter, you are encouraged to experiment with every weapon because firing them is fun. But in RPG shooters, why should anyone ever use anything but the gun with the highest DPS?

The devs are obviously inspired by Far Cry but FC greatest strength is the total Player freedom, you can play with a silenced sniper and take everyone without being seen. Or you grab a double-barreled shotgun and run around the enemy camp like a madman. But randomly looted guns make that impossible because you now need to hope to drop the weapon you need. Even then, your double-barrel shotgun might not have enough dmg value to instant kill every enemy, making that entire playstyle pointless.
That garbage ruined Ubisoft games and now it's hurting even Far cry clones

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The devs are obviously inspired by Far Cry but FC greatest strength is the total Player freedom, you can play with a silenced sniper and take everyone without being seen. Or you grab a double-barreled shotgun and run around the enemy camp like a madman. But randomly looted guns make that impossible because you now need to hope to drop the weapon you need. Even then, your double-barrel shotgun might not have enough dmg value to instant kill every enemy, making that entire playstyle pointless.
On top of all this, Redfall is multiplayer-focused. I really don't get how the Arkane trademark of being able to approach problems multiple ways is supposed to fit with the looter shooter paradigm of "everyone shooting everything as fast as they can because otherwise they get left behind". You can't stealth an objective or look for an alternate entrance with 4 people.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wouldn't mind a list, probably end up being mostly stalker and some OF/Arma stuff but might find something I haven't heard of.
You probably know all of them, and I'm not saying these are 11/10 GOTYAY material, just that they look and play better than what they've shown of Redfall.

Besides the obvious suspects you mentioned, Far Cry 2, 3 and Blood Dragon - and arguably the rest of the Ubisoft Far Crys, since they're essentially all the same game, just with more woke with each new release. Dying Light as well, though the focus is more on the platforming. Metro Exodus, Hunt: Showdown etc.

This, so sad to see something like this from Arkane...
They shot themselves in the foot with the focus on niggers in Dishonored 2 and Deathloop. Don't feel bad about them, they dug this grave for themselves.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had a bit of excitement when i hear it's like far cry 2/wacky stalker of arkane's but i saw the color coded loot they use in deathloop. Hard pass. Even far cry (at least the ine i played only up to 4) doesn't stoop to the color coded random loot. 2 has quite an interesting progression and excellent atmosphere and almost great survival feel to it (without actual survival mechanics aside from PITA malaria stuff) and 4 is hell lot arcadey for sure but at the very least each guns and upgrades does something on their own that can't be replicated by other guns.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Some 3D modeler probably made each part separately then the random generator slapped those parts together in that combination. Besides, there's a million franken-ARs in this country and the weird laser beam guns or guns made of flesh and bone in the footage look far worse.

The way everything looks and moves and reacts to the environment and being shot is so artificial and janky. Like this is an early beta or a mobile game. I think the idea of an open world Left 4 Dead clone with a kind of randomized campaign has merit but this ain't it. L4D had production values 10x as good as this.

Also fuck the characters, randomized weapons, and character levelling systems.

Fargus

Arcane
Guys, they just need to make a comeback like Bioware will with Mass Effect 4. It's a matter of time. They still got it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here a picture of Redfall's CAR15 derivative called MORRIGAN (probably modeled after M16A2 (hybrid: A2 firing control unit in a A1 body) or M4A1). notice that the magazine chamber is not modeled correctly.
redfall-M4-A1.png
don't have the autism nor enough firearm knowledge, but everything on the left side of the picture disgust me. "Weapon level" is the worst offender. It's divinity original sin 2 again.

Everyhing below it just a shit topping on top of the poopy core

Modron

Arcane
You collect a variety of bayonet stakes and can attach them to any gun from the sound of it so expect a lot of cringe like that.

Do we know how the item/character system works? Do you start each game at level 1 and have to find/upgrade from there, or is it a persistent system where you're expected to grind 20 hours per character to level up/equip and be able to play harder difficulties? Former is bearable, latter is putrid shit. And most games go with the latter.

Looks nice for a white item but I want the ultra unique +5 spiked ring dildo of acid ejaculating. Painted in LGBT colors of course (skin purchasable from the skin shop, only 1300 coins).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom