Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Relas: Chaos of the Realms - Arcanum inspired game made in RM VX Ace

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I finally found a script that lets me use more than four dialogue options at once, so goodbye JRPG dialogue, hello awesome dialogue trees.
:yeah:

Y0ptba8.png

Lots of progress being made. New playable version with probably 2 to 3 hours of gameplay should be up soon.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
New save menu:

rcor_savemenu.PNG

Keeping track of all the variables in this game is getting really hard. When you do open-ended quest design it's hard to get NPCs to account for every possible action the player could have taken. I've abandoned the open world approach due to the sheer immensity of the variables required and have decided to go for a more linear, yet still open approach like PST. Still going to be lots of C&C and subtle reactivity in the mix.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
iwvmPCI.png

Dialogue is a placeholder, but yes, this is an actual scenario that will be in the game. The entire encounter is very Planescape-esque, in that it reveals some minor details of the plot and its backstory while being entirely optional. The cave where you come across this "quest" is off the beaten path and the quest itself doesn't even get marked in your journal, so I imagine a lot of "casual" players won't even see this at all. I'm designing the whole game to reward patience and exploration and punish the people who try to breeze through. I already have a few instances where the first dialogue option you can choose from leads to suboptimal consequences. Doing this is hilarious because I've already had a few people bitch at me when they got a bad outcome to a quest because they couldn't bother reading through the dialogue.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The game is still being worked on, but I got a little sidetracked with the release of Might & Magic X. Since I lost my original draft of the story I'm rewriting most of it, but in a way that makes more sense and doesn't allow for too much ambiguity. There will be lots of low level C&C and some that majorly affects events in the plot, but it's not something I want to go overboard with because otherwise I'm in danger of things getting too messy and nonsensical. The current plan is to have several large hub areas with a variety of sidequests and things to do, connected by more linear plot heavy sections of the game that move the narrative forward. I do still think that it's maybe a bit too ambitious, and in the future I'd like to do some smaller scale RPGs that don't take me so long to finish.

The biggest example of higher level C&C which is in the latest released build of the game (to an extent) is choosing whether to side with the demigod Nahk'rah and take over the goblin city Norvaik, or to work toward getting Norvaik to be aligned with the Kingdom of Engea. If you do the former, not only will you eventually have new faction quests available to you, but the entire population of Norvaik reacts differently to you and some of them get killed off due to not supporting Nahk'rah. Helping Nahk'rah increases your reputation with all of the other evil cults in the game and also the main villain. You also get some pretty decent artifact items in the governor's palace for free, where if you don't side with Nahk'rah you have to pay off the guards to let you in the governor's room to steal them. To balance out these major positives, several companions will refuse to travel with you when they learn of your affiliation with the Cult of the Flame. If you get Norvaik to align with the Kingdom of Engea, later in the game the goblin army will assist in a large scale battle which will allow you to avoid some otherwise very difficult fights.

tuluse, I'm looking forward to your feedback on the latest version of this project. Be sure to let me know if you find the secret gay romance quest. :smug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've been making slow progress (for a variety of reasons). I can't figure out how to get in the cave even though I know I've done that in a previous version. I need a quest compass :(. Also, I died from poison after fighting the spiders in the moonshine shack.

Feedback about walking around and talking to people. The writing is really uneven and it seems like you can't decide between using modern US English and some kind of pseudo old time speak. The goblin town is my favorite place for dialogs, it feels like you had a direction when making that place and the way everyone speaks fits in. I really get a kick out of talking to the goblins.

Hopefully sometime soon, I can get into more of the meat of the game to give you more interesting feedback.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I can't figure out how to get in the cave even though I know I've done that in a previous version. I need a quest compass :(
It has to do with getting a password in Deepmount and giving it to a dark elemental in another cave outside of Southtown. If you explore everything it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Feedback about walking around and talking to people. The writing is really uneven and it seems like you can't decide between using modern US English and some kind of pseudo old time speak. The goblin town is my favorite place for dialogs, it feels like you had a direction when making that place and the way everyone speaks fits in. I really get a kick out of talking to the goblins.
Some characters like Gundy are intended to be more "down to earth" and talk more casually, other people are more uptight and snobbish. Granted, I'm not the best writer so I might not have communicated that well enough.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
:necro:

I'm considering resurrecting this project after abandoning work on it for 7 years. It would involve me installing VX Ace to my current computer and retrieving the project files from my old HDD at my parent's house, but I hate leaving things unfinished! If anyone feels like playing this ancient RPG Maker game to tell me if it's worth resurrecting in its current form, or some other form, that would be totally based!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom