Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Remedy's Max Payne 1&2 remake in the Northlight Engine

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You separate from the wall in Max Payne 3 the exact same way, by pulling away with WASD.

No I remember you had to press the cover button (Q for me) to enter/exit cover - this is because I specifically remember (besides pressing Q alot) to dying a number times in cover, as in the heat of the moment I attempeted to press W/S instead of Q and Max would just stay there like an idiot
I do also remember that you could however get out of cover with WASD if you were pressing the sprinting button or the roll button - this maybe why you think that

That's how it is in most cover shooters

As far as I know most shooters of the 7th gen with extensive cover mechanics had a dedicated cover button - Gears of War, Uncharted, GTA4, RDR, Spec Ops: The Line, Splinter Cell 2009+2013, Vanquish, nuDX, Ass Effect, etc...

Here I am pressing forward (W) while pointing the camera away from the wall, but the character keeps on walking along the wall

W moves the PC in the direction he's facing, in that situation if you wanted out you had to press D instead

The cover transition is actually slower than many others, including Max Payne 3.

I've also had moments where the character won't cover at first, perhaps having trouble with the geometry and angle or figuring out if I want to run or cover.

Very often, they keep walking for like a half second to 600 milliseconds, before finally pressing up to the wall.

Negligible problems in a game where the cover system isn't primarily meant with helping you shoot but rather sneak
Issues I also believe a couple of good programmers could fix, specially if this system was indeed to be used on a shooter

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
No I remember you had to press the cover button (Q for me) to enter/exit cover - this is because I specifically remember (besides pressing Q alot) to dying a number times in cover, as in the heat of the moment I attempeted to press W/S instead of Q and Max would just stay there like an idiot
I do also remember that you could however get out of cover with WASD if you were pressing the sprinting button or the roll button - this maybe why you think that

You're wrong.

As far as I know most shooters of the 7th gen with extensive cover mechanics had a dedicated cover button - Gears of War, Uncharted, GTA4, RDR, Spec Ops: The Line, Splinter Cell 2009+2013, Vanquish, nuDX, Ass Effect, etc...

I can assure you it's the same in Max Payne 3. I just don't wanna install all 37 GB again. Even in the first Uncharted, you didn't have to press Circle to separate. You've always separated like in MGS5.

W moves the PC in the direction is facing, in that situation if you wanted out you had to press D instead

Yeah, I know. That's the problem. That's what I was talking about, having to oversteer to separate from the magnetic wall. I was not facing to the right, I was facing away from the wall at a hard angle.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
Even in the first Uncharted, you didn't have to press Circle to separate. You've always separated like in MGS5.

Honestly, in that case why even bother with a dedicated cover button and not just make it automatic on wall collision...

Because a cover button doesn't have the kinks I mentioned, particularly in a dense, linear environment like Max Payne's. Rather use that button for crouch/slide, though. If Uncharted had a crouch, I barely would have used the cover button at all. Even in MGS5 I rarely shot from cover. Stepping to the side, crouching and swapping shoulders is not a complicated set of moves.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
All this talk of cover systems in a Max Payne thread makes me wish for a nuclear war.

There must be something wrong with your OS, MP 1 & 2 working fine here on W10.
It depends. I played the original CD versions on W10, and they both required some work before you could even run them. Nothing too drastic, but I think you needed a no CD crack for one or both of the games. MP2 was actually the more difficult one to get running, but once you got that done, it played pretty much flawlessly from what I can remember. MP1 had the physics issue with jumping and rolling, which didn't make the game unplayable (the dream sequences are doable if you roll instead of jump) but hampered the gameplay somewhat. From what I've read, this problem is present in the Steam version as well, and there's no guaranteed way to fix it on all systems.

These kinds of remakes are always for the benefit of console players, not PC users.
Yeah. PC only needs increased compatibility with newer systems. The original console versions are undoubtedly terrible, though.

The old Xbox versions of Max Payne, as far as I remember, are basically just the PC versions with lower resolution. Now the PS2 versions looked like total shit, but funnily enough now, looking at the PS2 version of Max Payne 2 looks like someone today made a Max Payne 2 demake...which means I could actually see more people being into it now than when it came out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original Max Payne games were a harder sell to a modern audience if for no other reason than the animations kind of suck. The animations in Max Payne are very much what you'd expect of early 2000s western developed 3D games, character move in a very stiff unnatural ridged way, you'VE got that weird kind of jump that looks less like a jump and more like the character was lifted into the air, and actions done in the air and while standing flat on the ground don't really look any different from one another. Stuff like the textures and character models still look nice, but when characters start moving it looks off.

I could also see it being a situation where Rockstar wants a new Max Payne, (or really just anything new to put out, especially after the disastrous GTA stuff) and Remedy wants to make a new one, but the stuff they want to do is more on the technical and gameplay side of things so why not just remake the original two? While I'd imagine Remedy doing a remake means they''ll do more story stuff with TVs playing in the background, (like news reports on what you're doing) the main thrust of it could just be that Remedy wants to make a really cool looking third person shooter like Max Payne again and a remake means they don't have to think as much on crafting some new story. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was new story stuff, or if they got weirder with the Jack Lupino stuff. Thinking about the destruction in Control makes me think shootouts in this will end up looking like The Matrix lobby scene, and that maybe you'll be able to fuck around with things in the environment in a way you couldn't in the originals.

I do wonder if they lean into the comic book stuff more. In the comic book cinematics you might have a onomatopoeia on a phone ring or something. Do you actually do those in-game if you're remaking it? Do you make the whole game look like the comic book cinematics this go around, or do you stay looking realistic. It'd definitely be interesting to see them trying some of the more cinematic looking things that only happen during the comic book cinematics in-game.

Gumsmith

Educated
Can't even buy the originals on Steam anymore, glad I got the games while I could.
Or maybe you still can, looks like it might be region dependent. I've a feeling the Americans won't get to enjoy this opportunity for long however.

Gumsmith

Educated
Or maybe you still can, looks like it might be region dependent. I've a feeling the Americans won't get to enjoy this opportunity for long however.

I found all three on Eneba as global Steam keys. 1 is $2.42 and 2 is $2.60.
Interesting, I got the games last year when they were still available but I'm curious about the website, does it usually work out for you?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

I found all three on Eneba as global Steam keys. 1 is $2.42 and 2 is $2.60.
Interesting, I got the games last year when they were still available but I'm curious about the website, does it usually work out for you?

I've never had a problem with the keys I got from them.

I am showing both Max Payne 1 and 2 for sale in the US Steam store as well.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Gameplay lead at Remedy (brought to my attention via Kiwifarms)

pain in the butt
wMMNnoj.png

pain to the max

It sure would be funny if the guy named Sergey ended up experiencing some of that Russophobia he's dismissing. It ain't exactly like there haven't been Ukrainians getting shit done to their businesses because some moron thought they were Russian and thought that made it OK.

Do max payne 1 and 2 works fine on windows 11?
Absolutely not. I've tried it on a variety of W10/11/Linux systems over the years and it's not playable without a huge hassle. Anyone suggesting otherwise is out of their goddamn minds or running it on the ancient hardware it was intended for. Probably just saying they played it recently to boost their gamer cred.

I've played it recently on Win 10. And my previous playthrough was on Win 10 too. These are games I have to replay every 1-2 years. For MP1 I needed the sound patch and widescreen fix, for MP2 I only needed a widescreen fix. That and forcing SGSSAA via Nvidia Inspector, but that's just a bonus I do for most of my older favorites.
I think I know the jump in dream sequence that you couldn't make and it's doable if you jump sideways, with a roll. And for further breaking physics by going above 60 FPS in an old game, well that's just you being an idiot. There's no shortage of ways to cap your FPS, and the physics bugs you mentioned I never experienced because I never go above 60 FPS.

Last edited:

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
The original console versions are undoubtedly terrible, though.

I believe the original Xbox versions recently got FPS Boost for current gen, so they're now playable at 4K 60 fps on Series X and S. Based on my own experiences and others here who have had to work at making them run properly on modern PCs, this is probably the most convenient way for a lot of people to play them these days. Compatibility fixes and a light coat of visual paint is all I really want for these games but that's never what we actually get with remasters and remakes. The bad seem to far outnumber the good.

Puukko

Arcane
Gameplay lead at Remedy (brought to my attention via Kiwifarms)

pain in the butt
wMMNnoj.png

pain to the max

It's been a little while since I've seen such a pure expression of faggotry. I suppose this is the kind of prime material you hire when you become yet another international multiculti studio.

Pound Meat

Prophet
lol @ Ukrainian culture, but whatever. Nothing will happen to him, just like that racist Indian guy who was in vogue a few years back and worked on one of the Mass Effects. Racism is perfectly acceptable when it's aimed at their enemies, just like Nazism is cool if the Nazis are on their side.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The rain was coming down like all the angels in heaven had decided to take a piss at the same time. In a situation like mine, you can only think in metaphors.

Ivan

Arcane
I can still fondly remember when Max 2 came out, I was like 12 years old and some older cousins were playing it and I thought: HOLY SHIT, THESE GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING! THESE PHYSICS! MATURE NOIR STORY!

I'm even fond of the shitty sound effects, I can hear the loud ass mixed buckets rolling over, the shitty SMG sound fx. God, now that I reflect on it, Max 2 left a pretty big impact on me. I'm glad it's Remedy who's doing the remake.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom