Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Resident Evil 4 is a crap game.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So apparently this piece of tripe is the most popular 'new' resident evil game with the active generation of console kiddies nowadays.

They usually list some things:
  1. 3rd person camera, no more tank controls
  2. weeee i can shoot zombies in the knees instead of using the knife or running away. I can aim on controller weee
  3. Leonfaggotry
TL;DR they didn't like older resident evil and want to turn it into a generic 3rd person shooter.... and did. And now crapcom added 'rpg elements'.

So, my opinion:
  1. semifixed camera and tank controls ARE resident evil. I want to keep going in the same direction where i'm going by keeping my finger on the same button with the convenience of automatic camera changes. This is only confusing to utter retards and it's actually much much much more convenient than a dumb camera which you have to control while still being very 'cinematic'. RE4 associated the camera to movement and made aiming not affect the camera so you need to move just for aiming for things outside of FoV. Your opinion is shit
  2. The game is about survival horror... you're supposed to run... which you can't now, because every other stupid zombie actually runs faster than you, every one can shoot projectiles and spawns in gigantic impossible to avoid mobs. Having to shoot knees and then knifing is even more boring than just knifing. Aiming being gamey and requiring tricks like aiming from down stairs to hit heads or very near was cool and you suck.
  3. Leon is a idiotic protagonist just like every single male RE protagonist. They're complete retards every single one of them. Do you know how many people who he was supposedly commanding Chris has managed to kill? There was a fucking boulder punching quicktime event with Leon (probably satirizing this very game quicktime events where Leon has to dodge not one, but two boulders because he's too dumb to look up) Leon is the opposite of cool.
As for the game itself, the bosses are about quicktime crap, the monster designs are dumb, the characters stupid (as usual) and the story stupid as shit - in fact the only thing about the game narrative that i liked was the end credits little mini-history of the village.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
OP is right about RE4 being shit. My thoughts on RE4:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...u-wasting-time-on.50372/page-195#post-3311835

semifixed camera and tank controls ARE resident evil
I'm not sure about his one. RER2 does IMO a good job at mixing newshit 3PP RE4 controls and classic formula (scarce resources, less but more interesting enemies). It's still not a "classic" RE game (lacks puzzles and has different atmosphere), but a step in right direction. Moar here:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...u-wasting-time-on.50372/page-246#post-3825686

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
*Shakes head*

Really, this is not negotiable to me. Fully 3d camera has no place in RE. The fact that it's third person and not FP is actually even worse, because of the slightly delay. People complain about 'tank controls' in classic RE but the tendency to move running Leon just to move the camera so you can see where you are is even worse, leading to hilarious curve like movement, like a fast drunk with a neckbrace. At least in the classical RE my curving movements were to move like a butterfly and sting like a bee not to figure out where the fuck i am or what is exactly just a little bit beyond my FoV. That the game doesn't even have a true FP mode instead relying on different dpads to aim and move and associating the camera to the move dpad is just adding insult to injury.

I even miss the hidden zombies in obscured corner camera angles, depending on audio cues. I played Code Veronica recently and even that was refreshing compared to spotting villagers from 4000 meters away (and CV has a terrible story)

Last edited:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played it opn Wii and had a blast, the Wii's controls are perfect for it. Actually the game was almost a little bit too easy due to the perfect controls.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah i played the wii version too on the pc. That's how i know the controls are actually shit even on the wii, where you could move and aim at the same time much better due to the gun pointer (although i'd like if the laser pointer was still there too)

Seriously the camera associated to movement and independent aiming was a abomination. I can even fathom why people think these are good controls. It's pure shit! I guess i'm just spoiled from not having played 3rd person shooters in geological ages maybe. But usually the older ones had the decency of MAKING THE CAMERA FOLLOW YOUR AIMING CURSOR ARRRRGHHHH

Crapcom replaced fixed* and simple camera that you didn't have to care about + dumb aiming with some tricks with terrible camera locked to movement + aiming that doesn't influence the camera.

It teases being more controllable but it's more aggravating and almost just as useless. Actually, it might be even more useless since you're often going be attacked just out of your FOV and running like a retard to get the camera to line up so you can actually retaliate, a nonexistent problem in classic RE.

* not always, sometimes they moved it during your movement if it didn't matter

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Never played any of the previous REs, but shooting things feels satisfying, it has a lot of tense moments, and it has good art direction, ergo it is good. Could do without the QTEs but they're not too big of a deal.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Fuck, i'm fucking triggered. What the fuck. Why don't people realize this is shit.

A horse of course

It IS shit. As a horror game and as popamole.

Athelas

Arcane
So apparently this piece of tripe is the most popular 'new' resident evil game with the active generation of console kiddies nowadays.

They usually list some things:
  1. 3rd person camera, no more tank controls
But it does have tank control, that's actually one of the last leftovers from the 'original' RE games.

As 3rd person shooters go, it's probably the most fun one I've played, though I'm not exactly enamored with the genre.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well that was the point. It has even more tank controls, if the tanking didn't even have full 360 turret movement.

Absalom

Let's be honest guys. Everyone thought RE would collapse under the weight of it's godawful 'storyline.' We should thank Capcom for mixing things up and ruining the game play, first.

Less EDGY response: Blame Code Veronica for this. While the game mechanics were as fun as they ever were, everything that was wrong about the RE series was taken UP TO ELEVEN.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing that I really despise is putting into RE series QTE's done in the most horrible way (1+2, yeah right, let's go look on the internet what the hell does that mean). Ubisoft made a shitty port overall, some of the things were fixed in the HD version but I can't confirm it.

Also:

Re4-ramon-salazar.jpg

Most intimidating bosses ever :lol:.

Alfons

Prophet
Wait RE4 is survival horror? :? Then why the fuck is it so easy to stockpile ammo and suplex zombie monks? I enjoyed it for what it is, a campy third person Parkinson's shooter. It was fun.

Athelas

Arcane
Wait RE4 is survival horror? :? Then why the fuck is it so easy to stockpile ammo and suplex zombie monks?
In a sense it is - going in for the kicks and suplexes is (supposed to be) risky, but it conserves your ammo. Of course the game is still too generous with ammo, but I think this resource management system is more interesting than that of its predecessors.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Shitting on Resident Evil 4 is sooo 5 years ago dude. We've all moved on past that by now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
RE4 bottlenecks ammo drops so you always have just enough regardless of how accurate you are, giving the illusion of potential scarcity. Professional difficulty lowers this, but I never played that mode since I'm not interested in the damage sponges that come with it.

Random

Arcane
Patron
If you want to restrict your ammo supply, don't pick up any pesetas. The game is designed to support you with whatever you're low on with enemy drops. If you have zero pesetas, you'll get a lot more treasure drops than ammo drops, which quickly changes the nature of the game.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Seriously the camera associated to movement and independent aiming was a abomination. I can even fathom why people think these are good controls. It's pure shit!

I've said the same thing since the game was originally released. Glad to see that the rest of the world is starting to catch up to my brilliance. :obviously:

Adon

Arcane
RE4 bottlenecks ammo drops so you always have just enough regardless of how accurate you are, giving the illusion of potential scarcity. Professional difficulty lowers this, but I never played that mode since I'm not interested in the damage sponges that come with it.

There aren't any. Professional difficulty mostly increases damage from enemies, but their health is relatively the same. If you play well, you can avoid being hit most of the time, reloading a checkpoint if you take too much damage. Granted, I do abuse the checkpoint system at certain points like some areas in the castle. Bosses still mostly die from one RPG shot, cept for Krauser whom you can knife to death instead. The only time I had a bit of trouble was with the lake monster (because dem controls) and with El Gigante because I was trying out a technique I had seen where people kill him with 3 grenades (only had 2 so I couldn't make it). There's also 2 areas with Ashley which are tough, but doable.

RE4 on Professional never gets anywhere near close to being as bad as Ndesu from RE5 on Professional. That thing was a nightmare to get through, in what is already one of the worst parts of the game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom