Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Resident Evil 4 Remake - out now for PC/Playstation/Xbox

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Apparently the RE2R team want to emphasise the survival horror elements rather than the action gameplay.

I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Is there a source for this?

Going by a combo of the RE3R team being removed from the project for apparently wanting to keep it very close to the original, RE2R team being assigned specifically to it and comments that appeared back in 2020 saying the remake was apparently being designed closer to "classic RE" play after the success of RE2R.

The other thing is that the trailer and marketing comments seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on the survival horror aspect rather than it being the next Gears of War.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My bet is they will make something between REmake 2 and REmake 3 in terms of gameplay. More grounded, with exploration and riddles but with emphasis on action. Changing the QTEs with the dodge from REmake 3, including both options (Jill's rolling and Carlos shoulder and punching capabilities). Méndez will be a pursuer through some sections of the game ala Mr.X, Ashley will have a couple of stealth-like gameplay sections, Luis sera will be a fag, and maybe Ada will get her Separate ways/Assigment campaigns summarized.

show

vTDwg9.gif

Wunderbar

Arcane
Going by a combo of the RE3R team being removed from the project for apparently wanting to keep it very close to the original, RE2R team being assigned
rumours were saying that RE3R team was assigned for the job specifically because they wanted to reimagine RE4 (M-Two is comprised of former Clover/Platinum devs). After RE3R got criticized for being too different from the original, M-Two changed their plans and rescoped the project to be a faithful remake (akin to Master Chief collection/Demon's Souls), but this decision pissed Capcom execs off to the point of them downgrading M-Two to a support studio. Which means Capcom wants this game to be different from the original, but the exact direction (more action? more horror?) is unknown.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
After RE3R got criticized for being too different from the original
The issue with REmake 3 was not that it was too different, since RE3 was already a somewhat radical departure from RE1 and 2, but the fact that so much of the game got cut, and that REmake 2 somehow had a better chaser enemy in Mr. X than REmake 3 did in Nemesis, despite Nemesis being the highlight of RE3.

There were no timed choices, no alternative paths, very little in terms of exploration or backtracking - the whole thing just felt like half the game was missing.

but this decision pissed Capcom execs off to the point of them downgrading M-Two to a support studio. Which means Capcom wants this game to be different from the original, but the exact direction (more action? more horror?) is unknown.
To be fair, Capcom has a long tradition of taking sequels to their games into wildly different directions. Onimusha is a perfect example of this, as is Resident Evil.

What I'm worried is that all this back-and-forth is wasting time and resources, and that the game will suffer for it.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Going by a combo of the RE3R team being removed from the project for apparently wanting to keep it very close to the original, RE2R team being assigned specifically to it and comments that appeared back in 2020 saying the remake was apparently being designed closer to "classic RE" play after the success of RE2R.

The other thing is that the trailer and marketing comments seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on the survival horror aspect rather than it being the next Gears of War.
rumours were saying that RE3R team was assigned for the job specifically because they wanted to reimagine RE4 (M-Two is comprised of former Clover/Platinum devs). After RE3R got criticized for being too different from the original, M-Two changed their plans and rescoped the project to be a faithful remake (akin to Master Chief collection/Demon's Souls), but this decision pissed Capcom execs off to the point of them downgrading M-Two to a support studio. Which means Capcom wants this game to be different from the original, but the exact direction (more action? more horror?) is unknown.

Well it's over then. The biggest appeal of RE4, the reason it was so fresh and fun, was that the game wasn't ashamed of being videogamey. They will probably remove the Mercenaries mode, the arena fights, the arcadish segments (RIP mining cart), the melee finishers and all the fun stuff in exchange for 'scary' HP bloated enemies. Also the village's boss will totally be an immortal NPC that chases Leon around the levels (they even added a hat to him)

Ezekiel

Arcane
Jurassic World: Dominion is having the highest grossing opening weekend for a non-superhero movie since the Covid lockdowns began. It's so obvious what Capcom has to do. Why is no one at the company looking at the successes of Jurassic World? They should have rebooted Dino Crisis right after Jurassic World made all that money (1.7 billion) seven years ago. Instead they keep churning out another zombie game every year or two. Outside of Resident Evil, zombies aren't even that popular anymore. When was the last time a zombie movie sold like Night of the Living Dead against its low budget?

Jurassic World: Dominion is having the highest grossing opening weekend for a non-superhero movie since the Covid lockdowns began. It's so obvious what Capcom has to do. Why is no one at the company looking at the successes of Jurassic World? They should have rebooted Dino Crisis right after Jurassic World made all that money (1.7 billion) seven years ago. Instead they keep churning out another zombie game every year or two. Outside of Resident Evil, zombies aren't even that popular anymore. When was the last time a zombie movie sold like Night of the Living Dead against its low budget?

They should have rebooted Dino Crisis after Jurassic World. Makes little sense that they didn't when Jurassic World came out and quickly became the highest performing movie of all time. Capcom however is making that EDF looking game with dinosaurs, so they did get back on the dinosaur train.

Ezekiel

Arcane

They should have rebooted Dino Crisis after Jurassic World. Makes little sense that they didn't when Jurassic World came out and quickly became the highest performing movie of all time. Capcom however is making that EDF looking game with dinosaurs, so they did get back on the dinosaur train.

Wow, they're really going out of their way to troll us.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
This remake is gonna be amazing in the vein of RE2R, which was simply short of amazing and well recived.

I hope they remake the story enough to not be fucking goofy, but actually tie in with RE2R, and make it grimdark and cool.

Hyped for gameplay reveal in 2 days and maybe a demo

JDR13

Arcane
I wonder why they would remove the Novistadores. I hope they're replacing them with something else and not just reducing the enemy variety.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Luis boss fight, Ashley will use a gun, Novistadores removed, dual chainsaw enemies? On one hand it sounds like BS he came up with but you never know with Capcom.

The source is apparently a 4chan post, so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

toughasnails

Stop all Resident Evil development for Dino Crisis.

I wouldn't be against that. I'd definitely love a Dino Crisis revival.

God, I fucking love this PS1 pixel aesthetic.

Yeah I love the look and vibe of that game. It really reminds of the visuals of Alien Resurrection on PSX (actually p good and tough af survival horror FPS that came out years after the movie).

SumDrunkGuy

Kill us god. Do us one favor and wipe us clean please smash us like insects lord

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom